odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 1st, 2010 at 2:10:44 PM permalink
I found some rules online, and i wasnt remembering something right. You always suggest the full scenario, as below, and the first person who can disprove it stops the inquiry. So it is maybe pretty key to use one of the cards in your own hand, maybe two of them, to flush out some intel, and conduct a misinformation campaign too.

"Once a player enters a room, they make a suggestion by moving the weapon and suspect they are asking about into the room. For example, if you are in the library, you can move Col. Mustard and the revolver into the room with you and say, "I suggest that the crime was committed in the Library by Col. Mustard with the revolver."
Then is the time to prove whether the suggestion is true or false. Once a suggestion has been made by a player, the player to that persons left checks his or her cards to see if they have any of the three. If he or she holds any of the three cards (in this case the library, Col. Mustard or the revolver), he or she shows only ONE to the person who made the suggestion. It is important that they only show the card to the person who made the suggestion though, so the other players may not see which card is being used to disprove the suggestion. Once a suggestion has been disproved, the player's turn ends and moves onto the next player to the left. If the first player to the left does not hold any of the cards used in the suggestion, the next player to the left checks his or her cards and this continues around the table until either the suggestion is proved wrong or there are no remaining players. The player's suggestion only gets disproved once, so even if several players hold cards disproving the suggestion, only the first one will show the suggesting player his or her card.
A player may only make a suggestion when his or her character or pawn is in a room and the suggestion can only use that room, not any other rooms."
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 1st, 2010 at 2:34:26 PM permalink
Absolutely you should use a card or cards in your own hand to try to solve the puzzle. The problem with that strategy sometimes is that you can give away a piece of information if you got one of the clues correct. For example, if you hold two cards in your hand and you guess a room, weapon, or person correctly, the correct strategy for the next player is to make the same set of guesses (if possible) to flush out your lead.

My daughter (she is 12) seems to win more often than not with the strategy of making suggestions with one or more cards in her hands.

You have to think of the number of combinations of answers available to you with the cards in your hand.

If you hold 6 rooms, there are 3 x 6 x 6 = 108 possible combinations.
If you hold 5 rooms and one weapon or person, there are 4 x 5 x 6 = 120 possible combinations.
If you hold 4 rooms and two weapons or persons, there are 5 x 4 x 6 = 120 possible combinations.
If you hold 4 rooms and one each of weapons or persons, there are 5 x 5 x 5 = 125 possible combinations.
If you hold 3 rooms and three weapons or persons, there are 6 x 3 x 6 = 108 possible combinations.
If you hold 3 rooms and 2 weapons and 1 person (or 2 persons and 1 weapon) , there are 6 x 4 x 5 = 120 possible combinations.
If you hold 2 rooms and four weapons or persons, there are 7 x 2 x 6 = 84 possible combinations.
If you hold 2 rooms and 3 weapons and 1 person (or 3 persons and 1 weapon), there are 7 x 3 x 5 = 105 possible combinations.
If you hold 2 rooms and 2 weapons and 2 people, there are 7 x 4 x 4 = 112 possible combinations.
If you hold 1 room and 5 weapons, there are 8 x 1 x 6 = 48 combinations.
If you hold 1 room and 4 weapons and one person (4 persons and 1 weapon), there are 8 x 2 x 5 = 80 combinations
If you hold 1 room and 3 weapons and 2 persons (2 persons and 3 weapons), there are 8 x 3 x 4 = 96 combinations.
If you hold 0 rooms and 5 weapons and 1 person (5 persons and 1 weapon)there are 9 x 5 = 45 combinations.
If you hold 0 rooms and 4 weapons and 2 persons (4 persons and 2 weapons) there are 9 x 2 x 4 = 72 combinations.
If you hold 0 rooms and 3 weapons and 3 persons there are 9 x 3 x 3 = 81 combinations.

The goal of the game is to reduce the combinations as fast as possible to get the correct answer. Because you are able to pick a person and weapon on your turn (but only the room you are in), it is typically the room that is the hardest to guess.

I think that a good strategy would be to eliminate rooms as fast as possible.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 1st, 2010 at 2:36:44 PM permalink
Definitely. You can use information you already have to help make the deduction easier. The counter tactic is for the person before the player using this tactic to ask for the same or similar info.

You can also start to eliminate based on who shows on which questions. It's also possible to guess early if you fear other people are about to get it right... if you don't think you have another turn, taking a 50/50 shot at the answer can be a good idea.

I really should pick up a copy of Cluedo next time I travel to the UK... it's missing from my collection...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 2nd, 2010 at 2:58:04 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

it is typically the room that is the hardest to guess.

I think that a good strategy would be to eliminate rooms as fast as possible.

Most definitely, and the tactic of early discovery.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
WizardofEngland
WizardofEngland
  • Threads: 61
December 2nd, 2010 at 3:15:30 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Definitely. You can use information you already have to help make the deduction easier. The counter tactic is for the person before the player using this tactic to ask for the same or similar info.

You can also start to eliminate based on who shows on which questions. It's also possible to guess early if you fear other people are about to get it right... if you don't think you have another turn, taking a 50/50 shot at the answer can be a good idea.

I really should pick up a copy of Cluedo next time I travel to the UK... it's missing from my collection...

I could bring one with me on the 23rd, if your local to Vegas?
http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/10042-woes-black-sheep-game-ii/#post151727
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 2nd, 2010 at 11:09:04 AM permalink
Cheers... that's very kind of you to offer!

I'm heading East from Canada at that time, so I'll be able to grab a copy when I'm in London. I may well add it to my Christmas list.

I collect boardgames, and have a reasonable collection of older classics, but not Cluedo, so a 1960's version would be nice to add :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: