SoulChaser
SoulChaser
  • Threads: 2
February 4th, 2021 at 8:45:50 AM permalink
In the hopes that COVID goes away quickly, I've booked a dream vacation to Australia next year. I've always told myself that if I ever flew internationally, that it would be in 1st class. I know it will be a while before I actually book any airline tickets, but was wondering if anyone here had recommendations on which would be the best airline to fly. Right now I'm leaning towards British Airways or Qantas. (I live in the Midwest if that makes a difference). I realize it would still be a chunk of change, but I'm planning on getting the airline credit card, and bonus miles that come with any initial offer, and using (buying?) miles until I get what I need...Is that still the smart way to do it, or has that changed as well?

Thanks in Advance
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
February 4th, 2021 at 9:01:10 AM permalink
I have flown both United and Quantas to Sydney and they were both fine. If it was me the choice would be based on price.

I would expect that first class tickets would run in the $6000 to $15000 range. Most likely from the midwest you will have to make a connection. Mine were in L.A. and San Francisco. I saw flights from Chicago in the summer were closer to $20,000 in first class.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
February 4th, 2021 at 9:01:58 AM permalink
Quote: SoulChaser

In the hopes that COVID goes away quickly, I've booked a dream vacation to Australia next year. I've always told myself that if I ever flew internationally, that it would be in 1st class. I know it will be a while before I actually book any airline tickets, but was wondering if anyone here had recommendations on which would be the best airline to fly. Right now I'm leaning towards British Airways or Qantas. (I live in the Midwest if that makes a difference). I realize it would still be a chunk of change, but I'm planning on getting the airline credit card, and bonus miles that come with any initial offer, and using (buying?) miles until I get what I need...Is that still the smart way to do it, or has that changed as well?

Thanks in Advance

Send a PM to terapined. He worked in the industry until his recent retirement.

Soulchaser..... I've flown 17 hour flights in cheapo class. Although not great, I couldn't imagine spending the extra $5-10k to be in first class.

Have fun down under!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
February 4th, 2021 at 9:05:32 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Soulchaser..... I've flown 17 hour flights in cheapo class. Although not great, I couldn't imagine spending the extra $5-10k to be in first class.

Have fun down under!

I agree with you. Economy sucks for a long flight but not enough where I would spend an extra $5,000 to fly first class.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 96
February 4th, 2021 at 9:23:06 AM permalink

I have flown both on United - coach from both LAX and SFO to Sydney, and first class from Auckland to Honolulu (it was a free upgrade - I was scheduled Auckland-LAX-SFO, but the Auckland-LAX flight was full, so I was offered an upgrade for the first leg if I switched to Auckland-Honolulu-SFO). First class was good, but I agree with SOOPOO; it's not "$5000 more" good, especially when you hit the turbulence (which affects first class just as much as it does coach), and you probably will at some point as it's hard to detect clouds during the night portion of the flight, which is a good chunk of the flight in the towards-Australia direction.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 17
February 4th, 2021 at 9:44:35 AM permalink
Biz/First to "Down Under" ain't cheap from the US. You must decide to head West or East to get there. Most only head East if there is a deal or one wanted to create a stopover somewhere (in the UK for example).
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=chi-lax-syd-lhr-chi%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=mi&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 33
February 4th, 2021 at 10:02:21 AM permalink
Many years ago I bought a bargain round-the-world ticket from London, LAX (for Las Vegas), Sydney, Hong Kong (for Macau). The leg from Los Angeles was an overnight flight leaving LAX after 10pm.

btw it might be worth looking at a rtw ticket as sometimes they aren't that much more than a return, also for me it meant a better luggage allowance.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 96
February 4th, 2021 at 10:26:18 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Many years ago I bought a bargain round-the-world ticket from London, LAX (for Las Vegas), Sydney, Hong Kong (for Macau). The leg from Los Angeles was an overnight flight leaving LAX after 10pm.

AFAIK, that's SOP for flying LAX to SYD, ABCDE - er...

Anyway, nonstops from LAX or SFO to Sydney leave around 10 PM and arrive early in the morning two days later (e.g. if you leave at 10 PM on Tuesday, you land at around 6 AM on Thursday). No, I don't know why they don't leave at 10 AM and land at 6 PM instead, especially as the flight would be in daylight, so the pilot can fly around/over any serious cloud formations.
SoulChaser
SoulChaser
  • Threads: 2
February 4th, 2021 at 12:32:26 PM permalink

Have fun down under!

I didnt realize the cost would be *that* much more... thats why I was wondering about getting the airline credit card and hoping earning miles would make it more feasible. Given that it's probably only going to be a once in a lifetime thing was what had me considering first...

I appreciate the thoughts and advice from everyone. Please, keep it coming!!
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 22
February 4th, 2021 at 12:35:45 PM permalink

Have fun down under!

The upcharge is mostly for space. A first class seat costs $5,000 because youíre taking up the space of five economy seats at $1,000

These days I only fly business going overseas. Iíd rather not go to Australia than sit in economy for 14 hours. However, I always pay with miles (usually only about 30k extra each way, which is an incredible value )
Itís all about making that GTA

• Jump to: