odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 27th, 2010 at 12:49:32 PM permalink
I have heard that the changing of the guard at that DMZ spot in Korea gets heated up at times like these. But I can't seem to find any footage, like there is at an India/Pakistan Guard-changing ceremony (which is best of the latter is debatable)

Maybe I was told wrong, or it is something that has passed. I get the feeling the US and South Korea no longer participate in such? There's some footage of tours that are given, with only North Korea acting officiously.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
November 27th, 2010 at 2:18:27 PM permalink
It still exists. You aren't allowed to film or take pictures up there. You can go on tours to the changing of the guard spot, which is at Panmunjeom. I've seen some footage on documentaries and such.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 27th, 2010 at 4:35:49 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

It still exists. You aren't allowed to film or take pictures up there. You can go on tours to the changing of the guard spot, which is at Panmunjeom. I've seen some footage on documentaries and such.

I'm kind of looking forward to the YouTube videos when the North Korean army pours across the border and the South detonates a tactical nuke in their midst. Talk about your reality show of shows...
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
November 27th, 2010 at 8:30:22 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I'm kind of looking forward to the YouTube videos when the North Korean army pours across the border and the South detonates a tactical nuke in their midst. Talk about your reality show of shows...

I'm not looking forward to that at all.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 28th, 2010 at 4:04:16 AM permalink
Yep, must be hopping there at Panmunj. I bet.

That'd be the US starting the nuking. Can you see Obama ordering that?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 28th, 2010 at 10:18:56 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Yep, must be hopping there at Panmunj. I bet.

That'd be the US starting the nuking. Can you see Obama ordering that?

Naah. It's a certainty that South Korea already has nukes, and the autonomy to use them. They learned during the Korean War that they can be overrun in a matter of days, so they won't make that mistake twice. Their thinking would be the same as Israel's: there is no option to trade space for time.

I couldn't see Obama ordering an offensive strike against ANYBODY for ANY reason. If Iran blew up Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Houston (it would be a major mistake for them to blow up Washington), he would give a careful, measured response, including several sober speeches. Then he would initiate a round of severe trade sanctions.

There ultimately is only one way to deal with the Nutjob Nations, at least as long as they are run by completely insane people. Too bad we won't use that option until they murder several million people (if then).
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
November 28th, 2010 at 3:16:55 PM permalink

I couldn't see Obama ordering an offensive strike against ANYBODY for ANY reason. If Iran blew up Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Houston (it would be a major mistake for them to blow up Washington), he would give a careful, measured response, including several sober speeches. Then he would initiate a round of severe trade sanctions.

How do you know? He hasn't been put to such a test yet, thank goodness. You sound a lot like Jerry in your politics.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 28th, 2010 at 5:24:38 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

How do you know? He hasn't been put to such a test yet, thank goodness. You sound a lot like Jerry in your politics.

God, what a horrible insult.

I base that evaluation on his recent Global Apology tour, which featured the repeated statement that we in America have been wrong, wrong, wrong about every aspect of foreign policy in the last two centuries. I realize that what was really going on here was his "blame George W. Bush for everything" shtick, which is wearing a little thin, so he has to periodically reinforce it. I think he really has bought into this America-as-the-Great-Satan-and-the-Source-of-all-the-World's-Evils ideology, though, at least to some extent. I think that's why he wants to fundamentally and radically change American society.

I actually hope I'm wrong. The Soviets were right about Carter, and the Chinese were right about Clinton. I don't think a sitting President's lack of resolve can be concealed very easily, so I'm hoping that in Obama's case, it's only rhetoric--which would be natural, coming from one of the greatest rhetors in history.
  • Jump to: