Thread Rating:

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 18
February 28th, 2021 at 7:44:19 PM permalink

I guess I like it fine...so far.

I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 110
March 1st, 2021 at 7:26:10 AM permalink
Opened up. Now around 2%. I just put sell order in on TSLA at 718. If I get out + $220 it will whet my appetite for more such follies!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 1st, 2021 at 7:31:05 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Opened up. Now around 2%. I just put sell order in on TSLA at 718. If I get out + $220 it will whet my appetite for more such follies!

I am impressed. Almost no one uses the proper "Whet" in a sentence. Usually people just use "wet".
Living longer does not always infer +EV
MDawg
MDawg
March 1st, 2021 at 7:45:17 AM permalink
Soopoo you have had 706 more than once, but you'll get the 718 sooner or later, although it might dip first.

I did just one trade today. I was being too cheap trying to get TSLA at 679, and I cancelled out all the subsequent AMZN orders.

When the market goes up like this typically I just watch my long terms go up anyway and don't trade. But AMZN is still weak, and dips a lot....
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
MDawg
MDawg
March 1st, 2021 at 9:22:32 AM permalink
Soopoo, TSLA didn't quite make it there. 717 was the high for the day so far, it looks like.

Now, this may sound counterintuitive but I'd suggest RAISING your sale price, at least for today. If it makes it back to 717, it will take out 718 easily. And if it doesn't get back to 717 today then it won't make it to 718 anyway. That's Advanced Trading 301.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 110
March 1st, 2021 at 9:54:01 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Soopoo, TSLA didn't quite make it there. 717 was the high for the day so far, it looks like.

Now, this may sound counterintuitive but I'd suggest RAISING your sale price, at least for today. If it makes it back to 717, it will take out 718 easily. And if it doesn't get back to 717 today then it won't make it to 718 anyway. That's Advanced Trading 301.

Not sure why you are suspended again.... but it did make 718 and I'm out! Profit $240, minus 14 cents in some fees. I'm going to keep on trying. maybe not today.
MDawg
MDawg
March 8th, 2021 at 6:53:14 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

it did make 718 and I'm out! Profit $240, minus 14 cents in some fees. I'm going to keep on trying. maybe not today.

As you may see, TSLA did hit the 720s that day, March 1st, in the AH. You should have raised your sell price, but no matter - out at 718 with a profit, nothing wrong with that!
MDawg
MDawg
March 8th, 2021 at 7:07:02 AM permalink

Trying again. Bought 20 shares of TSLA for 697. Down to 694 a few minutes later..... Put in sell order for 707. Hopefully will skim another $200 from 'the market' again. If not.... i own 20 more shares of TSLA.....

.So realistically I could be stuck with my 20 shares Ďforeverí. I think itís down to around 670. Picking a stock at 670 and hoping for 707 is generally (or should be!) a long term play! I was in at 697. MDawg would be buying more. Iím chicken.

Sorry I wasn't around to help you out of this one. This was on March 2nd? I wouldn't have approved of that trade for a number of reasons, but the main one being that you entered it too close to the bell. If you haven't noticed yet - first thing in the morning "anything goes" - the stocks I trade tend to exhibit the "elasticity" to rebound on dips, no matter what else is in store for later in the day. Closer to the bell it's more of a 50-50 crap shoot where it either sells off, or goes up - there are some advanced techniques I use to try to predict what will happen each day at the close, but it's by no means assured.

Next time you plan a day trade, try to get in earlier in the day - when the time is right, versus reverting to artificially set buy prices. The timing of the trade often matters more than the price. Think about it - 697 might have seemed like a steal in a vacuum, but at that point that you pulled the trigger, so late in the day, you didn't have much time for the stock to rebound...and indeed, instead, it tanked.
MDawg
MDawg
March 8th, 2021 at 7:09:10 AM permalink
Booked an easy 1000 on TSLA. It went much higher, but it also went lower before finally filling at my target. And now it has sold off some again.

But you see how at that time when I pulled the trigger, TSLA was going both up, and down - the "elasticity" was there. People hadn't given up on the stock and were buying the dip furiously. As well, I pretty much caught the low for the day, so far.

Tech stocks are still in dicey territory. Firm recovery is not yet afoot.
MDawg
MDawg
March 8th, 2021 at 7:13:13 AM permalink
I also was doing some more thinking about selling short. In the scheme of things, as I mentioned before, it does not affect the sales price. It is longs who abandon ship that drive the price down, not merely short sellers.

Does shorting a stock make it go down?
The simple and most practical answer here is NO.
Does Shorting a Stock Drive the Price Lower?
Does shorting a stock make it go down?
The simple and most practical answer here is NO.

Only 10-15% of shares in circulation are lent for short-sellers. That percentage is very low. This means that when the price drops, it has little to do with short selling. Rather, the real reason for prices dropping is long holders panicking.

Short sellers being able to depress share price is simply just a myth. One that is not supported by practical experience. Over the long term that is.

Short-sellers alone do not have the power to hold down the price of a stock for any significant amount of time. They can succeed in doing so in the short term. But the effects wonít last for long.

• Jump to: