Thread Rating:

TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
January 30th, 2020 at 9:37:29 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I was talking to our company helicopter pilot and he said that there is definitely additional pressure when you have the rich and celebrities on board. He said he has flown at times when he wouldn't have if it was just him on the helicopter.

Deep fog, flying low, mountainous terrain....yeah, Iím passing that day and taking a car.

These poor people are gone....I can only hope in the future ALL pilots and passengers will have a think twice moment.

Even an experienced pilot met his demise under these conditions.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
January 30th, 2020 at 11:32:39 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Deep fog, flying low, mountainous terrain....yeah, Iím passing that day and taking a car.

These poor people are gone....I can only hope in the future ALL pilots and passengers will have a think twice moment.

Even an experienced pilot met his demise under these conditions.

What we don't know is how many times has he flown insimiliar conditions. If he has done it 1000 times and this was the first problem, I would find that risk acceptable for me to fly.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 30th, 2020 at 11:52:15 AM permalink
look folks, he nearly made it.
Spatial disorientation sucks particularly when there is no terrain avoidance equipment available.
Its not the death of the rich and famous or holy, its the death of the unlucky. Its not an inexperienced pilot, its not a star-pressured pilot, its just what happens when clouds close in and fog shrouded strobes fool the senses.
Great VMC skills and great IMC skills are fine and dandy, but sudden transitioning can ruin your whole day.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 30th, 2020 at 1:12:53 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I was surprised Kobe was such a man of faith. A lifelong Catholic who said his Priest helped him get thru his rape trial. Whatever he may have done as a younger man, he certainly matured into an incredible family man.

You don't KNOW this, you hope this. You don't think its possible he has a different woman in every city he travels to? You think the woman in Colorado was his first and only extramarital event? Really? For all we know he had an agreement with his wife that as long as he keeps such events private/secret, it's ok. It's also possible he has been 100% faithful since the rape trial. We will never know.
We do know he has been involved in his daughters basketball life in a positive way.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 30th, 2020 at 6:11:19 PM permalink
reporter who mentioned the negative incident still heavily criticized for it.
TDVegas
TDVegas
January 30th, 2020 at 8:17:50 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

reporter who mentioned the negative incident still heavily criticized for it.

I'm not a fan of piling on with negative stories after the man has died. He was called out on the behavior, charged, dropped and everyone moved on. He's gone. His daughter has died and his family will have to try and pick up the pieces.

I'm also not a fan of going crazy and elevating him like he's the second coming. He was...a hall of fame basketball player and father who was committed to his basketball academy, business and charitable causes in retirement.

7 other equally important lives vanished on that day.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
Thanks for this post from:
Forager
January 31st, 2020 at 7:47:55 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

7 other equally important lives vanished on that day.

That is incorrect. About 125,000 important lives vanished on that day.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TDVegas
TDVegas

• Jump to: