Thread Rating:

IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 10
January 27th, 2020 at 5:16:47 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

As far as sports figures dying in air crashes....this one is way up there in terms of outpouring of grief.

Roberto Clemente
Thurman Munson
Marshall University

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_involving_sports_teams

I'm surprised Kobe Bryant not yet added to this list.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffrey
January 27th, 2020 at 6:12:57 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

well since the list is about teams, why would he be on it?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
Thanks for this post from:
IndyJeffreyonenickelmiracle
January 27th, 2020 at 6:17:47 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

He hasn't been a player for four years.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
January 27th, 2020 at 10:50:27 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I was gonna do a helicopter ride next time I went to Vegas but now I'm paranoid again.

Me too because I made heartless jokes. I won't ride in one until I am cast in a Twilight Zone movie with a helicopter scene and a risk-taking director.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 29th, 2020 at 3:39:30 PM permalink
Forum Trivia: 100% of members misappropriating the title of "Great One" have been permanently nuked.

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 29th, 2020 at 6:36:31 PM permalink
Often its the strobe lights that cause a helicopter pilot trouble. Its often best if the pilot can have someone else turn them off so he doesn't have to move his head and encounter vertigo.

the lights flash in the fog and suddenly the pilot is uncertain about which way is up. Safer to fly without the lights on at all (illegal of course). vfr is fine, imc is fine (even if not licensed for it) but oh that sudden transition from visual to instruments!
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 0
January 29th, 2020 at 7:31:25 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Often its the strobe lights that cause a helicopter pilot trouble. Its often best if the pilot can have someone else turn them off so he doesn't have to move his head and encounter vertigo.

the lights flash in the fog and suddenly the pilot is uncertain about which way is up. Safer to fly without the lights on at all (illegal of course). vfr is fine, imc is fine (even if not licensed for it) but oh that sudden transition from visual to instruments!

If they hit the ground at 185 mph (beyond the max speed)....it's probably a safe assumption that this experienced pilot (VFR and instrument rated) lost control in a kind of death spiral.

This becomes a bit scary if a pilot with his qualifications can lose control in this manner. I wonder if there's pressure on these guys to get in the air...considering their passenger, where they might otherwise stay grounded.

These deaths are tough as multiple members of the same family perished.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 30th, 2020 at 4:41:45 AM permalink
>>>>I wonder if there's pressure on these guys to get in the air...
>>>>considering their passenger, where they might otherwise stay grounded.
Usually, no! Its the sudden transition from being able to see which way is down to those strobe induced flashes that create vertigo or at least uncertainty about up and down once you are in fog and convinced that your instruments are lying to you.

Even that Bahamian flight of an alcohol poisoned teenage girl was loss of spatial awareness once they had a loss of ground references.

>>>>These deaths are tough as multiple members of the same family perished.
That is quite common, consider the peachtree bowl crash.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
January 30th, 2020 at 7:38:31 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

If they hit the ground at 185 mph (beyond the max speed)....it's probably a safe assumption that this experienced pilot (VFR and instrument rated) lost control in a kind of death spiral.

This becomes a bit scary if a pilot with his qualifications can lose control in this manner. I wonder if there's pressure on these guys to get in the air...considering their passenger, where they might otherwise stay grounded.

These deaths are tough as multiple members of the same family perished.

I was talking to our company helicopter pilot and he said that there is definitely additional pressure when you have the rich and celebrities on board. He said he has flown at times when he wouldn't have if it was just him on the helicopter.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
January 30th, 2020 at 7:50:23 AM permalink
I was surprised Kobe was such a man of faith. A lifelong Catholic who said his Priest helped him get thru his rape trial. Whatever he may have done as a younger man, he certainly matured into an incredible family man.

• Jump to: