TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
July 5th, 2019 at 10:23:11 AM permalink
I'm conducting a brief survey on wristwatches, if anybody is interested in answering a few questions:

1) How often do you wear a watch?

2) If you wear/collect watches, what is the most amount of money you would currently spend on a watch?

3) Would you be more likely to buy a watch if it was as "American Made" as possible?

4) Is the way you look and/or accessorize important to your work or business in any way?

Thanks, folks.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
Thanks for this post from:
TigerWuodiousgambit
July 5th, 2019 at 10:28:21 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I'm conducting a brief survey on wristwatches, if anybody is interested in answering a few questions:

2) If you wear/collect watches, what is the most amount of money you would currently spend on a watch?

3) Would you be more likely to buy a watch if it was as "American Made" as possible?

4) Is the way you look and/or accessorize important to your work or business in any way?

Thanks, folks.

1 never since I got a cell phone
2 not applicable
3 no
4 no, work from home
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 10:53:59 AM permalink
1) 24/7 except in the shower

2) I am not in the market at all. I have been wearing the one I have now (Citizen brand Calibre 8700 Eco-drive) for almost 12 years. It is solar powered and keeps excellent time. I checked just now, and it disagrees with my mobile phone (network time) by 10 seconds. Why would I pay for another one?

3) No

4) I am retired.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 11:02:06 AM permalink
I buy a $7 Walmart watch every
year and a half. It's so much
easier to look at my wrist than
haul out my phone. When it
quits I chuck it and get another
one.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1365
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 11:06:05 AM permalink
1. Every day. Usually when I leave the house I have my watch on.
2. $300
3. No, that would probably sway me against it.
4. No
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
theoriemeister
theoriemeister
  • Threads: 25
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 11:07:49 AM permalink
1. Almost always, except when bathing/showering or sleeping, or during sex.

2. I won't pay more than $100 for a watch, so I often wait until a more expensive watch goes on sale for less than $100. Name brands mean nothing to me. I've worn a Seiko, a Citizen (more than once?), and currently wear a Relic (which I really like).

3. Perhaps. But let's distinguish between "Made in America" and "Assembled in America."

4. I'm a teacher, so I do not dress sloppily for my job. Accessories are unimportant. I like my wrist watch, because the clock in the classroom is behind me when I teach, and I do not bring my phone into the classroom.
ars longa vita brevis
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 11:10:30 AM permalink
1) hardly ever. Only on special occasions.
2)about $300
3) no
4) no
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 11:15:23 AM permalink
1) I wear a Fitbit - it does give time and date so substitutes as a watch.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 11:42:13 AM permalink
Tried to wear one in like 7th-8th grade and helped me realize I hated wearing all jewelry. Eventually learned to wear one around my belt loop, but only lasted a couple years before I got a cell phone. Then started again in 2016 after I had an iPhone for a year and felt like I was taking it out of my pocket too much. Paid under $20 on Amazon and it's been going strong ever since.

1 - About 50% of all days, for about 50% of the day

2 - zero. Until I lose my current one or it stops working, then I'll re-evaluate

3 - no

4 - yes, I would pay a premium of up to $5 for a better looking watch
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
TigerWu
July 5th, 2019 at 12:13:43 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Thanks, folks.

1. Wore one daily until I started just using my phone clock. Now I only wear one when I need to see the time and can't pull out my phone, usually this means when working a party.
2. $20 or so.
3. Only if other things were equal, I have not bought a watch in 15 years or more, my current watch was my dad's, which my mother gave to me recently. Before that I had not even owned one in 7 years or so.
4. No, but it has been in the past. I used to wear a Russian watch that was self-winding and said "KGB" with a Russian symbol. It was great because it was subtle. I had a Ukrainian Jew working for me, great guy, he sees the Russian on the face and was, "what on earth is that?!" He wasn't the first. Others had the same reaction. It was out of the ordinary. It started conversations.

FWIW, I stopped when I ruined a watch in a pool. After that I used my phone for the time. I *hate* jewelry. If I were to marry she would have to accept me not wearing a ring. Jewelry drives me nuts, irritates me. I could wear a watch again, but it would be a cheapo job.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: