1 vote (6.25%)
3 votes (18.75%)
No votes (0%)

16 members have voted

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 231
April 29th, 2019 at 12:00:23 PM permalink
If you have never seen a Marvel Cinematic Universe film prior to this one, don't waste your time and money. You need to have some backstory, or risk being totally lost. I would modify AMS's list to these as the recommended minimum to really enjoy "Avengers: End Game":

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Dr. Strange
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant Man and The Wasp
Captain Marvel

I thought the movie was well done, and a fitting coda to franchise with great characters that many fans grew up with as a "family". It's the passing of a baton to the next generation (which Marvel assumes will be attracted by "girl power" and minority representation). Unfortunately, I predict that a decade from now, folks will look back on this film as the high point of the MCU franchise, and the start of the company's decline. I don't see the future films as getting better. Maybe Stan Lee passed on at the right time.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 24
April 29th, 2019 at 1:11:08 PM permalink
I don't know much about comic books, but I think they've always been ahead of the curve with "minorities" (these films are made for a global audience) and girls.

I sometimes find it annoying that every female character in say, a cop movie, has to be a kung fu expert who can beat up a 240 pound guy. But if the characters have magic powers, I don't see the issue or why they wouldn't be 50% female. Especially if they are hot and wearing spandex costumes.

There really aren't that many people who are so hung up on race and stuff that they won't see a movie about superheroes because too many of them are non-white. Nor are they so hung up on gender that too many Scarlett Johanson's in sexy outfits will hurt box office. Don't confuse you're bubble world and the world at large.

Quote: EvenBob

Lack of
good writing is the problem.
They started to get bad around
2000, and get worse every year.

I pretty much agree. The writers are skilled, in the same way, whoever designs the chemical injected playdough at McD's is skilled, or whoever writes Beyonce's music is skilled. But they know half the audience won't speak English and many of the English speakers will be functionally illiterate. So they aren't really shooting for "good writing" as we normally think of it.

There are probably more well written movies to choose from than ever before, because we can pretty much see any movie ever made whenever we want to. So that's good. Some are even reasonably popular and in Hollywood. Alexander Payne, Coen Bros. etc. Increadible writers. But it is also sad that most major Hollywood releases no longer attempt things like quality writing, originality, etc.

Perusing the Hollywood blockbusters of past decades, you'll find stuff like The Graduate, Double Indemnity, Back to The Future etc. That time is passed.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 32
April 29th, 2019 at 1:43:11 PM permalink
Well, I just saw the Avengers Endgame movie in a nearly empty theater (started at noon on a Monday.). It was not perfect but I loved it and even cried at 3 moments in the film.

The film was almost overly complex and the assumption that its audience has seen most of the previous movies (and remembers them reasonably well) will make this a tough watch for many. But for the devoted fans, this film was like a loving celebration of the characters that they care about (except, maybe not so much Thor and Hulk, lol) and the universe that they inhabit.
Sometimes, people are just a bottomless mystery. And, after all, this is just a sh*tty little forum in the sun-less backwaters of the online world.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 231
Thanks for this post from:
mcallister3200ams288Romes
April 29th, 2019 at 4:58:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

If you have never seen a Marvel Cinematic Universe film prior to this one, don't waste your time and money. You need to have some backstory, or risk being totally lost. I would modify AMS's list to these as the recommended minimum to really enjoy "Avengers: End Game":

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Dr. Strange
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant Man and The Wasp
Captain Marvel

I thought the movie was well done, and a fitting coda to franchise with great characters that many fans grew up with as a "family". It's the passing of a baton to the next generation (which Marvel assumes will be attracted by "girl power" and minority representation). Unfortunately, I predict that a decade from now, folks will look back on this film as the high point of the MCU franchise, and the start of the company's decline. I don't see the future films as getting better. Maybe Stan Lee passed on at the right time.

Oh yeah, if you haven't already seen it, add "The Big Lebowski" to the list above. You'll thank me later.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 16
April 29th, 2019 at 5:19:22 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Oh yeah, if you haven't already seen it, add "The Big Lebowski" to the list above. You'll thank me later.

Jeff Bridges played the villain in the first Iron Man. Made it kind of ironic to have Tony mention Lebowski.
Lock him up!
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 27
April 29th, 2019 at 5:52:59 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Quote: Romes

The movie never had to take place if they would have done X, Y, Z, or A, B, C, D... so many other options that were more logical and better.

1. They time travel... so yeah, anything is possible... go back and call Capt Marvel (who's only in the movie for a total of 60 seconds and has zero problem kicking Thano's ass) to the fight the first time round. Win.
2. Tell Thor to aim for the head. Win.
3. Some debates about time traveling timelines, so present timeline: Have Capt Marvel wear the glove (which her energy comes from one of the stones so she won't be hurt) and snap her fingers to kill all the bad guys. Win.
4. Have tony stark, who creates the new "glove" make the glove not work for Thano's, or only work for certain people, or whatever. Win.
so many more.

These wouldn’t work. Hulk makes it clear that the Back to the Future theory of time travel doesn’t apply. Going back in time and changing something in the past will NOT change the future.

“So Back to the Future was a bunch of bullish-t?!” - Ant-Man

Read #3 and #4...
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
arethamorce
arethamorce
  • Threads: 0
April 30th, 2019 at 6:40:00 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I am not into super hero movies at all. My brain just doesnt accept any movies that are not "real". If I cant feel that it is possible then I dont like it. A movie like rounders is all made up but I can see that being a true story so I enjoy it

Wait for Discovery Channel or NatGeo to make movies
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 32
May 2nd, 2019 at 3:43:24 PM permalink
The cast of Avengers: Endgame includes 19 Academy Award-nominated actors: Angela Bassett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper, Brie Larson, Don Cheadle, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Renner, Josh Brolin, Marisa Tomei, Mark Ruffalo, Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer, Natalie Portman, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Taika Waititi, Tilda Swinton, and William Hurt.

I suspect that is a record for the most Oscar-nominated actors in a single film. Even a documentary named Side By Side that interviewed Oscar-nominated actors only had 16 Oscar-nominated actors.
Sometimes, people are just a bottomless mystery. And, after all, this is just a sh*tty little forum in the sun-less backwaters of the online world.

• Jump to: