No votes (0%)

16 members have voted

gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 46
Thanks for this post from:
Zuga
April 26th, 2019 at 12:44:12 PM permalink
Avenger's: Endgame has opened, capping an integrated storyline told over 22 movies, and begins after the death of half of the universe in Avengers Infinity War.

It may well have the largest weekend box-office in history to date.

In a preview, a Danish audience is reported to have applauded 3 times during the film, than gave it a standing ovation at the end. After being out 15 hours it has received grades from 100,000 people on the Integrated Movie Data Base site and is currently graded as the 5th best film of all time .

I have not yet seen it (its hard to get a ticket!) but clearly this may become a shared cultural moment for many people. You are encouraged to vote in the poll, preferably after you have seen the film.

I'd love to hear your comments about Avengers: Endgame. If you discuss spoilers during the first few weeks, please do so in a spoiler box.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
April 26th, 2019 at 1:04:19 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

In a preview, a Danish audience is reported to have applauded 3 times during the film, than gave it a standing ovation at the end.

Only three?!

The audience I saw it with last night couldn’t stop cheering during the last hour or so.

There are lots of “Oh sh**! Hell yeah!!!” moments. It was great to experience it with a huge crowd.

Best moments that got the crowd riled up (huge spoilers):

1. Captain America wields Thor’s hammer
2. Black Panther (and all the other dusted heroes) return and wage war
3. The female Avengers assemble (BEST moment of the movie)
4. Thanos turns to dust

There were more, but these were the ones that came to mind quickest.

Seeing it again tonight.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
April 26th, 2019 at 4:23:28 PM permalink
Have never gone to see a super hero flick...would I get much out of this one or would it suck not knowing characters, back story, etc?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 26th, 2019 at 5:59:43 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Have never gone to see a super hero flick...would I get much out of this one or would it suck not knowing characters, back story, etc?

I've seen a few. My ex and I used to watch a lot of rifftrax, which this thing where the guys from Mystery Science Theater make fun of bad movies and they did several superhero movies. They are films made for the lowest common denominator, obviously. Part of that is going to be "people who don't closely follow children's stories" so I'm sure you'll be fine. They don't want to exclude anyone from buying tickets.

I'm pretty sure the only Avengers movie I've seen was the first one, which I actually saw in a theater. It was pretty good. If you feel like turning off your brain for a couple of hours of distraction, I'm sure it fits the bill.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
mcallister3200Rigondeaux
April 26th, 2019 at 6:05:11 PM permalink
I am not into super hero movies at all. My brain just doesnt accept any movies that are not "real". If I cant feel that it is possible then I dont like it. A movie like rounders is all made up but I can see that being a true story so I enjoy it
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 167
April 26th, 2019 at 6:28:28 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I am not into super hero movies at all. My brain just doesnt accept any movies that are not "real". If I cant feel that it is possible then I dont like it. A movie like rounders is all made up but I can see that being a true story so I enjoy it

No to Indiana Jones? No to James Bond? You don't like Cruise's Mission Impossible movies? No to Lord of the Rings? How about most big comedy movies. Don't like Caddy Shack, or Ghost Busters?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 26th, 2019 at 6:52:58 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I'm the same way, with the strange exception of horror movies. Not that I watch a ton, but if I'm going to see something silly at the movies, that's what I enjoy. I actually tend to like the more supernatural ones. Maybe it's because horror stuff is at least ostensibly true in some way. Like demonic posession is something people believed in for centuries and some bumpkins still believe in, so it's not such a leap to say, "what if this stuff was actually real?" Also, horror films are not made for massive audiences, so they don't necessarily have to be completely idiotic. But sometimes I like them even when they are.

On a related note, I just can't make the leap with CGI. They've been saying for 30 years that one day it will look real. It still just looks like cartoons superimposed on the screen. There's sort of this mass delusion thing where everybody just pretends CGI looks good now.

EvenBob Voice: I could enjoy action scenes a lot more when it was actors and stuntmen doing real stuff. It's really cool to see a real guy jump from one moving car to another. What is cool about seeing a cartoon do it? I just can't get into watching a fight between cartoons. It's amazing how much better the original star wars movies STILL look compared to the new stuff.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 26th, 2019 at 7:19:14 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I'm the same way, with the strange exception of horror movies. Not that I watch a ton, but if I'm going to see something silly at the movies, that's what I enjoy. I actually tend to like the more supernatural ones. Maybe it's because horror stuff is at least ostensibly true in some way. Like demonic posession is something people believed in for centuries and some bumpkins still believe in, so it's not such a leap to say, "what if this stuff was actually real?" Also, horror films are not made for massive audiences, so they don't necessarily have to be completely idiotic. But sometimes I like them even when they are.

On a related note, I just can't make the leap with CGI. They've been saying for 30 years that one day it will look real. It still just looks like cartoons superimposed on the screen. There's sort of this mass delusion thing where everybody just pretends CGI looks good now.

EvenBob Voice: I could enjoy action scenes a lot more when it was actors and stuntmen doing real stuff. It's really cool to see a real guy jump from one moving car to another. What is cool about seeing a cartoon do it? I just can't get into watching a fight between cartoons. It's amazing how much better the original star wars movies STILL look compared to the new stuff.

I like horror movies but most of them I can believe may be true. Halloween for example. Other than being able to walk slow and make it across town it could happen. Saw movies, insane but possible.

Movies like avatar.. forget it. Harry potter.. nope

There are some exceptions. Men in black. I like those.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
JohnzimboAyecarumbaZuga
April 26th, 2019 at 7:26:35 PM permalink

You wouldn’t.

This is the culmination of 22 movies over 11 years. There are so many callbacks and characters that literally just show up for seconds that you would be completely baffled by.

And the three hour running length would be a chore to sit through if you don’t know what’s going on.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
April 26th, 2019 at 7:31:58 PM permalink

I've seen about 10 of the Marvel Comic Universe. Seen about 25 of them overall, but for some reason they include some and not others as prequel to this. There are 22, supposedly, that lead to or culminate with this.

I watched Infinity War, last month, which is the first part of this one.

I had not one effing clue what was going on. You had to know who all the characters were (like, 30 of them) their past relationships, their associates, their archenemies, their superpowers, and their taglines, before trying to watch that movie. And this is part 2 of THAT.

I'm sure it was a literal MCU orgy for the well-initiated. And this one the climax. Incredible visuals. Grotesque gore. Completely incomprehensible plotlines.

They need a movie that recaps all the heroes and villains. MCU for dummies. But they won't bother, because the thing will make a BILLION dollars this weekend.

Or, you needed to do the recently finished MCU binge they ran (think it was AMC theaters) where they showed ALL 21 movies back to back that led up to this one. Just imagine the shape of those marathon nerds around hour 30, seats pissed, popcorn grease everywhere, teeth black with milk dud goo, eyes bleary red, coke tremors. And they had another day to go before they could even see the movie that was new to them.

Lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: