Thread Rating:

happahero
happahero
  • Threads: 8
Thanks for this post from:
RS
January 27th, 2019 at 6:29:20 PM permalink
Quote: Minty

The income disparity only seems to get larger as time goes on, and I wonder if it would ever reach a point where there's no reversing it. The wealth tax would be a good way to correct for it, at least for awhile.

Why are people so worried about income disparity? If someday the world was so efficient @ production that it could supply food houses cars ect ect and production was SO efficient that you could have all these things by making $1 a day who cares about income disparity??? You only need to make $1 a day to have comproable living standards as today.

If one amazing person figured out how to do this, good for them they are going to be worth trillions. Biggest income disparity ever? Probably. Big win for humanity? Definitely.
Dost thou even hoist
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
January 27th, 2019 at 6:55:59 PM permalink
You're not wrong, but I think you have more faith in people than I do.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg 
  • Threads: 34
January 27th, 2019 at 6:56:20 PM permalink

The income disparity only seems to get larger as time goes on, and I wonder if it would ever reach a point where there's no reversing it. The wealth tax would be a good way to correct for it, at least for awhile.

What you are really saying is that there shouldn't be any big corporations. Only a 1000 small corporatons doing the same thing. That there should be a ceiling to how big a corp should be.

I would venture that the 2% would have gone to charities but is now diverted to the govt to fund its black budget in the trillions.

BTW the most expensive home isnt in the USA. Its buckingham Palace worth 10 billion. Maybe we should start with the royal family first.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 27th, 2019 at 7:00:02 PM permalink
Quote: happahero

Although I have great respect for Mr. Gates, I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

He has done far more good for the world than his riches even come close to. The efficiency gains from businesses being able to utilize the MS platform have raised the living standards for everyone across the world.

Yes he got rich while doing it, but that should be something of pride. Thatís how capitalism works problem solver should get rich & the efficiency gains benefit everyone. He should not have to apologize for being sucesful or feel like he owes the government more money.

My respect for Mr. Gates goes even further. Although he already changed the world with MS, he also spends much of his time & personal wealth trying to better humanity. Thatís a personal choice and it shows heís a genuinely kind person. I am sure when he spends his money on charitable causes itís spent way smarter than having Trump or Nancy Pelosi decide where it goes.

I would like to see more smart people like Mr. Gates deciding where capital needs to be allocated instead of seeing him say rich need to pay more taxes & assuming these politicians know what to spend it on.

Bill Gates? That wonderful guy that wants to see a 4x reduction in the world population. No thanks. He can go first though.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg 
January 27th, 2019 at 7:02:23 PM permalink
My family drives a 2013 volvo s80 with collision warning and auto brakes and people hate us for it. I can't imagine what theyd think if we drove a porsche. But the middle class are allowed to buy porsches without judgement.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jan 27, 2019
Minty
Minty
January 27th, 2019 at 7:09:04 PM permalink
I don't know if I'd go quite that far to say there shouldn't be big corporations. I'd argue that big corporations should be regulated more than they currently are with higher wages for most employees and less for those at the top, but exactly how that breakdown should look, I'm unsure. In a different thread someone referenced the rate of CEO pay to employee pay has completely spiraled out of control in the last 50 or so years.

Maybe it's appropriate for CEOs to be paid 30x what their employees make. Maybe even 50x. I don't know, but between stock options, base pay, bonuses, bailouts, offshore money and tax loopholes I don't think it's absurd that the gap is narrowed a bit.

Big corporations give people jobs and add loads of value to society. However, it's important that we recognize these big corporations NEED people for the ability to function in the first place.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
Minty
Minty
January 27th, 2019 at 7:09:58 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Bill Gates? That wonderful guy that wants to see a 4x reduction in the world population. No thanks. He can go first though.

"Perfectly balanced, as all things should be." Only kidding of course.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg 
January 27th, 2019 at 7:13:30 PM permalink

I don't know if I'd go quite that far to say there shouldn't be big corporations. I'd argue that big corporations should be regulated more than they currently are with higher wages for most employees and less for those at the top, but exactly how that breakdown should look, I'm unsure. In a different thread someone referenced the rate of CEO pay to employee pay has completely spiraled out of control in the last 50 or so years.

Maybe it's appropriate for CEOs to be paid 30x what their employees make. Maybe even 50x. I don't know, but between stock options, base pay, bonuses, bailouts, offshore money and tax loopholes I don't think it's absurd that the gap is narrowed a bit.

Big corporations give people jobs and add loads of value to society. However, it's important that we recognize these big corporations NEED people for the ability to function in the first place.

I actually read a book "Good to Great" and "Built for Growth" about ceo's pay 10 years ago. It wasn't out of the norm. It isn't unheard of for even corp restaurant managers to get paid up to 100k with benefits. GE corp employee's get alot of benefits. There are great paying jobs within these corps. My bookkeepers sister is in sales and has changed positions. She has her hotel and airline tickets paid for when she travels she isn't restricted to certain hotels So she stays where its closest. She drives a corporate car. Their division had layoffs. And the division was bought out. Her husband does IT and they are considered middle class. CEO's of corps are responsible for so much. But I recall that a few of the best CEO's will not care about competitions pay as much as doing the job.
happahero
happahero
  • Threads: 8
January 27th, 2019 at 7:15:46 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I did not know that was on his agenda. Iím not sure what heís proposing for how to accomplish this. I was more referring to his iniatives for clean drinking water for Africa.
Dost thou even hoist
Minty
Minty
January 27th, 2019 at 7:21:55 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

I actually read a book "Good to Great" and "Built for Growth" about ceo's pay 10 years ago. It wasn't out of the norm. It isn't uncommon for even restaurant managers to get paid up to 100k with benefits. GE corp employee's get alot of benefits. There are great paying jobs within these corps. My bookkeepers sister is in sales and has changed positions. She has her hotel and airline tickets paid for when she travels. She drives a corporate car. Her husband does IT and they are considered middle class. CEO's of corps are responsible for so much. But I recall that a few of the best CEO's will not care about competitions pay as much as doing the job.

Thanks for dropping those book titles, I might have to look into those. Six figures is reasonable. Millions can be reasonable based on size of company and people employed. It's when you start getting to 10s and hundreds of millions I start to wonder. Same with professional athletes, it just seems excessive for the job they do. I wish I could remember where I heard it, but I've heard that on a day to day basis, middle managers affect companies more than CEOs. When it comes to acquisitions obviously it's out of their hands, but I thought it was interesting regardless.

• Jump to: