1 vote (7.69%)
2 votes (15.38%)
4 votes (30.76%)

13 members have voted

Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 130
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:41:32 PM permalink
George H.W. Bush was the oldest lived president. If Carter lives another 3 months and 15 days he will be the oldest lived president.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
Thanks for this post from:
Joeman
December 4th, 2018 at 8:42:28 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

There is a discussion at DT about GHWB, where I gave my thoughts already.

Briefly, I think he was an average president. Of the six Republican presidents in my lifetime, I'd rank him 4th. Personally, I don't feel any strong connection. The best thing I can say is he never made any big mistakes. He was very prudent. I have nothing against prudence, but it isn't exciting. That is probably what women say about me. I'll shut up now.

Surely a reference to this?!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1344
December 4th, 2018 at 10:50:42 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Surely a reference to this?!

Yes, it may be Dana Carvey's impression that sticks in my mind. He seemed to work the word "prudent" into every sketch. However, it is the perfect word to describe GHWB. I wish we had more prudence right now in the White House.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
December 4th, 2018 at 1:13:33 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

George H.W. Bush was the oldest lived president. If Carter lives another 3 months and 15 days he will be the oldest lived president.

Lol I didnt even know Carter was still alive. He must really live quietly since he is never seen or talked about.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 4th, 2018 at 2:31:37 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Lol I didnt even know Carter was still alive. He must really live quietly since he is never seen or talked about.

Presidents once pretty much went away after the term and stayed out of politics. While Jimmy ventures into the political arena with a statement every now and then, as have others, he is not looking for the spotlight like President Clinton and President Obama. He has done a hell of a lot of humanitarian work since leaving the White House. He has had a long and honorable post-Presidency.

In case any one cares, I think Trump is more likely to fall in the mold of Clinton and Obama post-Presidency based on his desire to maintain the spotlight.
Last edited by: RonC on Dec 4, 2018
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1344
December 4th, 2018 at 3:38:52 PM permalink

About a year ago he was in the news for beating cancer. I think he attributed it to a miracle. Someone (Paco) correct me if I'm wrong.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
December 4th, 2018 at 4:45:36 PM permalink

Depends on your news feed. He took several trips as a special ambassador post-presidency. He shows up in ads for Habitat for humanity quite often, and still goes and hammers framework together. And he allowed himself to be quite critical of Trump several times.

He also does a lot of writing.

I think in contrast, I only recall him criticizing Obama once publicly, and none about any others who followed him.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
December 4th, 2018 at 8:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

He represented the deep end of the deepest state. Thank goodness, Donald Trump put the grandson out of business. I wonder how he will be judged by his maker? He always knew what the people would do if they were to judge him on real facts.

Accepted definition of "deep state" is: a hybrid association of elements of government and parts of top-level finance and industry that is effectively able to govern the United States without reference to the consent of the governed as expressed through the formal political process. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_state_in_the_United_States

Bush was elected to spend 12 years in the White House. There has never been greater consent given to anyone through the most formal political process in our lifetimes.

Of course I'm sure there is a contingency of Americans who would argue that wikipedia is a creation of the "deep state" and the real definition is whatever the voices in their heads tell them it is
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 5th, 2018 at 2:51:07 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Depends on your news feed. He took several trips as a special ambassador post-presidency. He shows up in ads for Habitat for humanity quite often, and still goes and hammers framework together. And he allowed himself to be quite critical of Trump several times.

He also does a lot of writing.

I think in contrast, I only recall him criticizing Obama once publicly, and none about any others who followed him.

I did not (and still do not) agree with President Carter politically, but I give him credit for pretty much avoiding trying to remain a celebrity much as past Presidents have up until the Clinton and Obama post-Presidencies. Yes, the Bush family and Carter have had a few things to say along the way about the current President and maybe a few things about the immediate past President, but nothing at all like the the other two.

I know they all make speeches and do appearances, but Carter has been a past President for almost 38 years...for that amount of time, his name has not been involved in politics all that much. In the years since his Presidency, I have come to respect him more as a person for his charitable activities.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOOpetroglyph
December 5th, 2018 at 9:35:46 AM permalink
I for one wish that the federal government would end the "national day of mourning" when a president dies.

Life goes on.
"What, me worry?"

• Jump to: