4 votes (57.14%)
2 votes (28.57%)
1 vote (14.28%)

7 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 13th, 2010 at 8:41:20 AM permalink
October 12th used to be Columbus' Day at least in Europe and the Americas. But the day mostly goes unremarked these days, so I proppose a new hoiday based on what happened yesterday.

Preamble: I had to drive to Cuernavca, roughly 60 miles away, to deliver samples to a customer pursuant to a contest. On the way there I had to pick up a co-worker who'd help me along.

Now on to the day's events:

1) I knew perfectly well where to pick up the co-worker (henceforth known as Lefty), but I managed to take the wrong exit off the freeway and promptly got lost. Fortunately I'm compulsively apranoid when it comes to punctuality, so i ahd a huge margin to fall back on. I even arrived early and ahd to wait for Lefty to show up.

2) Samples were due starting at 10 am. As we arrived to Cuernavaca around 9:10, we decided to go for breakfast. This time I took the wrong left turn off the avenue. No problem, I could take the car into a parking lot entrance, back off a little and proceed to a U-turn. unfortunately someone was trying to get into the lot. I scraped some paint off his fender (oh for the old style crome and steel fenders which could withstand a minor bump). the insurance adjustor arrived in less than 20 minutes and did a prompt and curteous job, but we used up our time for breakfast.

3) We arrived at the customer's offices at 10:30 am. The reception was to take place between 10 am and 12 pm, so we were ok. We waited along with two other suppliers for someone to receive our samples. Then we found out that 10 am to 12 pm was the time when suppliers could register to deliver smaples. The reception of the goods would take place after noon.

4) Around 12:45 pm we were asked into a meeting room where we were infomred the contest had to be cancelled. Some technicality about how the government of the state of Morelos goes about notifying potential suppliers of acquistion contests. We waited until around 1:30 pm for the official notification papers, duly signed by a bunch of people.

5) Lefty had to leave for a town past Queretaro. I'll leave some details out for privacy's sake, but the downside was Lefty had to get to his place to pick up his car. I dropped him off in the freway on my way back to the office. Of course the freeway was backed off like you wouldn't believe. Actually I've seen much worse, but there should have been light traffic for that time of day (mid afternoon). traffic reports on the radio proved useless.

6) I left work around 7:15 pm, the worse time for traffic. I live about 7.2 miles from the office, I covered that distance in one hour and fifteen minutes. It's really bad sitting in traffic when you're tired and impatient.

7) Around 9 pm the office messenger called to say he was robbed on a public bus on his way home. Fortunately he was ok, but they took his ID and assorted cards along with the little cash he had with him.

So, I proppose we celebrate Murphy's Day in honor of october 12th 2010, when everything that could go wrong did (and when you thought it was over, it only got much worse)

All thso ein favor say Aye
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
October 13th, 2010 at 9:08:34 AM permalink
Check that out with the drug lords there first.

If these were your only problems in a 3rd world hole of a country like that, you should be praising the Lord at the end of each such day.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 13th, 2010 at 9:59:12 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

October 12th used to be Columbus' Day at least in Europe and the Americas. But the day mostly goes unremarked these days, so I proppose a new hoiday based on what happened yesterday.

Europe? I think only the Spanish have cause to celebrate Colombus Day. The Canadians don't either... (it's generally the same weekend as Canadian Thanksgiving(*)).

(*) Which wasn't stolen as a concept from their Southern neighbours
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 17th, 2010 at 11:13:30 AM permalink
Columbus Day = Thanksgiving in Canada.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
October 17th, 2010 at 12:51:49 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

="Goddamn Honkies Invasion Day" on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 17th, 2010 at 2:48:26 PM permalink
You must be in Mexico, its the only place I know of where you can robbed on a public bus 5 days a week.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 18th, 2010 at 10:02:19 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Not because of Colombus though....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: