LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
March 28th, 2018 at 10:32:48 AM permalink
Does Google know whether you wear boxer briefs, tighty whites, or none at all? Probably.

All that and so much more, according to this story in the Guardian.

But, have a fresh pair handy if you click on the link because you may need them.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
March 28th, 2018 at 12:16:35 PM permalink
Yep, everything in there I kind of expected... Facebook Messenger literally has (or at least had) in the T's and C's that they basically got FULL ACCESS to your phone, your contacts, your text messages, your pictures, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. One of the many reasons I've never installed it.

I think at least while google harvests as much as they can, they let you opt out. Just just clicked through all of the "see your data" links and there was nothing in any of them. Perhaps because I have all of my stuff set to private/do not share/etc/etc. Who knows.

That's what happens when we want free things as a society though. Nothing is really free. If you want a "free" site like facebook, then they're going to gather data on you, and sell that to ad companies to generate revenue. Companies don't work for free... and with our society's free demands that makes for a prime opportunity for companies to give us "free" stuff while really using us and our info to make money on the back end. Basically, we kinda asked for it.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 24
March 29th, 2018 at 9:10:36 PM permalink
I get angry when they influence what I can find. Here is an example.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/29/17176894/google-removes-kodi-search-autocomplete-anti-piracy

I'm ok with them selling me things, but provide the service I paid for by surrendering my personal information... You know what I'm looking for... Just be a search engine for God's sake.

Maybe after the card counters shut down the stratsophere for their shuffling practices, Google will be the next victim?
  • Jump to: