Poll

3 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

Dyvan13
Dyvan13
  • Threads: 47
December 8th, 2017 at 7:02:42 PM permalink
This man was shot dead by Arizona police because when told to crawl forward, he reached toward his waistband. The man was found to be unarmed and intoxicated. The officer was acquitted of all second degree murder and reckless manslaughter charges on December 7th, 2017

WARNING: The video is extremely graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M62Va6Ft2cw

Somebody had called the police, saying that they saw the suspect flailing a gun on their hotel balcony. Police showed up and the video recounts what happened. It was when the man reached toward his waistband that the officer made the split second decision to pull the trigger 5 times, ending Daniel Shaver's life.

The man was unarmed. In the room they found two pellet guns which were used by the man in his pest-extermination job

The officer, Philip Brailsford was charged with 2nd degree murder. The judge ordered that the officer's body-cam be sealed away until after the trial, as to not corrupt a fair trial by juror. He has since been taken off the Arizona police force for poor performance.

MY OPINION:
The officer's orders were confusing, AT BEST. How would you react if you were SOBER, and had an officer screaming at you "I WILL SHOOT YOU IF YOU MESS UP AGAIN", while brandishing a MILITARY grade firearm? Now remember that the man in the video is INTOXICATED. The man is BALLING his EYES out, begging and pleading with the officer. In the video you can see the man waddling on his knees trying to keep his shorts up. He made the fatal error of reaching toward his waistband to pull up his slumping shorts.

Police need to be better trained here in the U.S. to not be so trigger happy. The victim was SH!TT!NG his pants the moment cops showed up. This is the kind of stuff that happens in POVERTY-STRICKEN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES, NOT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!
Dyvan13
Dyvan13
December 8th, 2017 at 7:22:05 PM permalink
This video has made me ashamed to be an American. It is just yet another example of the over-use of force by police officers. Philip Brailsford was the judge, jury, and executioner. Why was the man instructed to crawl forward? There was another officer present that could have easily handcuffed the man when he was laying on the ground. Where was the professional judgement on the officers' part? When you point an assault rifle at somebody and threaten to kill them, the average citizen is going to be beyond terrified and may have trouble complying out of sheer terror.

In the U.S., it is the police officers that are given the benefit of the doubt, and it is the citizen that is expected to remain calm and act without error in stressful situations.

There is also civil asset forfeiture, but that warrants its own topic.

This is why many law-abiding, tax-paying, productive members of society dislike the police
Dyvan13
Dyvan13
December 8th, 2017 at 7:25:44 PM permalink
Ok, thank you. I will move my post to there. If a mod wishes to delete this topic, go ahead
  • Jump to: