1 vote (4.16%)
2 votes (8.33%)

24 members have voted

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
January 14th, 2017 at 5:05:46 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Yet if pre-existing conditions are allowed in the new law, why bother buying insurance when healthy? A typical thirty year old can buy insurance on the way to the ER.

Bingo
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 14th, 2017 at 5:29:21 PM permalink
Employer sponsored health care for me. We have three plans we can choose from. I chose the "high deductible" plan.

$40 dollars a month taken out of my check.

$1500 deductible. $2500 yearly out of pocket maximum. My employer also provides $500 ($125 each quarter) in a HSA for those of us who choose this "high deductible" plan.

I think it's an amazing deal and I consider myself very lucky.
Eater of Worlds
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
January 14th, 2017 at 5:41:02 PM permalink

Yet if pre-existing conditions are allowed in the new law, why bother buying insurance when healthy? A typical thirty year old can buy insurance on the way to the ER.

Isn't there something like a six-month "waiting period" allowed before insurance actually takes effect, to prevent stunts like this?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 14th, 2017 at 5:41:43 PM permalink

No, that's not the way it works. "I was just in a car wreck" isn't a pre-existing condition. Diabetes is a pre-existing condition. The reason you need a mandate to force healthy people to buy insurance is so insurers will have the risk pool to cover the sick ones. If you want to get rid of the mandate, you'll either need to replace it with an actual tax (which is the right solution) or you'll need to punt and say that insurers don't actually need to issue guaranteed coverage. Then we'll be back to where we were before, with millions of small business owners like me unable to get insurance without paying a ton of money for it, so millions of people will go without coverage and go back to using the ER for basic care and avoiding preventive checkups. And all because someone decided corporate profits are more important than a healthy, productive citizenry.

I don't think corporate profits are more important than a healthy, productive citizenry, and economies around the world back me up. Many countries with state-run insurance have higher GDP growth than the U.S.

It's all fun and games to joke around with insurance coverage policy, but nobody is sensibly suggesting that magically, if Obamacare goes away, that insurers will be able to issue coverage in the time it takes an ambulance to get to the hospital. If you've never actually purchased an insurance plan, you probably don't appreciate this. If you've never actually been rejected for an insurance plan after waiting six weeks for an underwriting reply (I have), and then had to scramble to get high-risk-pool coverage at jacked up rates because your COBRA ran out (I have), then you *really* don't appreciate this. That whole process was utter bulls**t. It's ridiculous that we don't just have insurance coverage that just stays with you. We are spending more on health coverage and getting worse results precisely because the for-profit insurance companies are taking a rake. It is an absolute falsehood that the free market leads to efficient results, at least in the insurance marketplace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2015/01/27/conservative-think-tank-10-countries-with-universal-health-care-are-economically-freer-than-the-u-s/#d08065e9facd

We are doing it wrong, and I can't understand why more people don't understand this when the proof is literally in front of our faces.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 14th, 2017 at 5:48:31 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Employer sponsored health care for me. We have three plans we can choose from. I chose the "high deductible" plan.

$40 dollars a month taken out of my check.

$1500 deductible. $2500 yearly out of pocket maximum. My employer also provides $500 ($125 each quarter) in a HSA for those of us who choose this "high deductible" plan.

I think it's an amazing deal and I consider myself very lucky.

It is an amazing deal. I have a similar deductible/OOP limit, except for the HSA part because my plan says $1500 is a low deductible, and also my premiums are 3000% what yours are. :(
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
Thanks for this post from:
djatcRS
January 14th, 2017 at 5:53:09 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

You seem to have forgot the option "I pay for my own families healthcare and it is freaking expensive".

Same here, paying $1615 a month for wife and I. But in someminds, we should be happy because we are helping those " less fortunate than ourselves ".

The liberal thought process is so disgusting.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 14th, 2017 at 6:01:12 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Same here, paying $1615 a month for wife and I. But in someminds, we should be happy because we are helping those " less fortunate than ourselves ".

Pssst. Those rates aren't going down when Obamacare gets repealed. Who are you gonna blame then?
Eater of Worlds
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
January 14th, 2017 at 6:03:21 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I concur. Are there not prisons? Are there no poorhouses?
Why should I be my brothers keeper?
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
January 14th, 2017 at 6:04:09 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Then we'll be back to where we were before, with millions of small business owners like me unable to get insurance without paying a ton of money for it, so millions of people will go without coverage and go back to using the ER for basic care and avoiding preventive checkups.

We are doing it wrong, and I can't understand why more people don't understand this when the proof is literally in front of our faces.

Small business owners are now paying a lot more than they did before. Before the scam I was paying $450 a month will less of a deductible than I am now. Besides this act was never for Small business owners, it was for the so called "poor" and to expand government on the way to Single Pay. Even you know that has always been the Dem plan. They just didn't realize the public was smarter than that and sent their asses packing from office all over the country.

Which brings us to where more people don't understand this when the "proof" is right there. You will never get it. You think you are smarter than the general public but you are not. Maybe in book smarts and solving equations but not in how people think and live. Your liberal thinking has made you believe the world needs people like you to run our lives. We don't but don't change a thing. As you say, the numbers don't lie and just look at how helpless the Dem party has become with you and Obama's type thinking. Keep it up!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 172
January 14th, 2017 at 6:05:16 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

No, that's not the way it works. "I was just in a car wreck" isn't a pre-existing condition. Diabetes is a pre-existing condition. The reason you need a mandate to force healthy people to buy insurance is so insurers will have the risk pool to cover the sick ones. If you want to get rid of the mandate, you'll either need to replace it with an actual tax (which is the right solution) or you'll need to punt and say that insurers don't actually need to issue guaranteed coverage. Then we'll be back to where we were before, with millions of small business owners like me unable to get insurance without paying a ton of money for it, so millions of people will go without coverage and go back to using the ER for basic care and avoiding preventive checkups. And all because someone decided corporate profits are more important than a healthy, productive citizenry.

I don't think corporate profits are more important than a healthy, productive citizenry, and economies around the world back me up. Many countries with state-run insurance have higher GDP growth than the U.S.

It's all fun and games to joke around with insurance coverage policy, but nobody is sensibly suggesting that magically, if Obamacare goes away, that insurers will be able to issue coverage in the time it takes an ambulance to get to the hospital. If you've never actually purchased an insurance plan, you probably don't appreciate this. If you've never actually been rejected for an insurance plan after waiting six weeks for an underwriting reply (I have), and then had to scramble to get high-risk-pool coverage at jacked up rates because your COBRA ran out (I have), then you *really* don't appreciate this. That whole process was utter bulls**t. It's ridiculous that we don't just have insurance coverage that just stays with you. We are spending more on health coverage and getting worse results precisely because the for-profit insurance companies are taking a rake. It is an absolute falsehood that the free market leads to efficient results, at least in the insurance marketplace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2015/01/27/conservative-think-tank-10-countries-with-universal-health-care-are-economically-freer-than-the-u-s/#d08065e9facd

But, but death panels.....

• Jump to: