MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
December 7th, 2016 at 8:10:24 AM permalink
75 years ago today, the Japanese attacked the American fleet at Pearl Harbor.

Never forget.
"What, me worry?"
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
December 7th, 2016 at 9:08:32 AM permalink
A date which will live in infamy. Indeed.

The father of my sister's best friend in high school was actually on the USS Arizona that day. He was in one of the 16" gun turrets. The turret itself wasn't hit, but the turret door was damaged and would not open. He escaped by climbing through one of the gun barrels!

Another story that he told was that right after the war ended, the Navy was taking sailors by train to survey the site of the nuclear blast at Hiroshima. He was scheduled to go on the trip, but he and his buddy were screwing around in Tokyo and ended up missing the train. Needless to say, everyone on board that train would eventually die of radiation poisoning.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
December 7th, 2016 at 9:45:53 AM permalink
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 99
December 7th, 2016 at 10:17:42 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no.

Operation Keelhaul

"The author Nikolai Tolstoy described the scene of Americans returning to the internment camp after delivering a shipment of people to the Soviet authorities: "The Americans returned to Plattling visibly shamefaced. Before their departure from the rendezvous in the forest, many had seen rows of bodies already hanging from the branches of nearby trees."

"Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn called this operation "the last secret of World War II."

(wikipedia)
"...The Queen of Warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long..."
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
December 7th, 2016 at 11:35:28 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Never forget.

Why not?
100% risk of ruin
MrV
MrV
December 7th, 2016 at 12:58:44 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Why not?

Seriously?

"Why not?"

If you have to ask ...
"What, me worry?"
RogerKint
RogerKint
December 7th, 2016 at 1:07:08 PM permalink
Lol I mean, I feel like forgiving and forgetting is the best course of action here. I'm supposed to hate Japanese people forever cause my grandfather fought them in the Pacific? Don't we ask blacks and natives to kindly forget the evils we whities have done?
100% risk of ruin
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
December 7th, 2016 at 2:30:17 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Lol I mean, I feel like forgiving and forgetting is the best course of action here. I'm supposed to hate Japanese people forever cause my grandfather fought them in the Pacific? Don't we ask blacks and natives to kindly forget the evils we whities have done?

That's not what "never forget" means. Equivalent to your interpretation of Pearl Harbor day would be the interpretation that Jews should hate German people forever when remembering the Holocaust.

Forgive but don't forget.
-- Tupac

Yes, I just quoted Tupac.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
MrV
MrV
December 7th, 2016 at 4:04:12 PM permalink
In the realm of war, forgiveness is a relative thing.

Here, the Japanese took a shot and ultimately got their asses nuked, irradiated, and handed back to them.

I for one will never turn my back on the Japanese or the Germans: both were and still are "hungry for power."

WWII marked our ascent to being a major power; we must fend off all challengers.

Smile and nod at the Japanese and Germans, but "just to be safe" we'd be well advised to watch our back and to keep a knife and a gun close at hand.

It's not a question of hate; it is one of trust.
"What, me worry?"
RogerKint
RogerKint
December 7th, 2016 at 5:10:03 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

That's not what "never forget" means. Equivalent to your interpretation of Pearl Harbor day would be the interpretation that Jews should hate German people forever when remembering the Holocaust.

Forgive but don't forget.
-- Tupac

Yes, I just quoted Tupac.

Normally I don't take advice from dead rappers. However since you, an alive rapper, vouch for him I may reconsider my position.

100% risk of ruin

• Jump to: