beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
September 8th, 2016 at 11:04:49 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That is easy to say but the team owners will argue that the city can come out ahead via the additional tax revenue if they have a team as opposed to no team even if the state chips in for a stadium. It is a question of fairness. I lived in Baltimore when they got the Ravens and the city pretty much gave Art Modell, the Ravens owners, the stadium for free. That I totally opposed. However, I wouldn't have begrudged the city chipping in in return for having some ownership rights. Maybe being able to lease the stadium on the many non-NFL days. I am flexible on the details, not that anyone is asking my opinion, but there is probably a sensible middle ground to be found.

I think it's time for the federal government to step up and regulate interstate commerce. Every time it ends up being an owner holding a public entity hostage with threats to move their team to LA. Well since every major team crosses state lines, the US could regulate this by invoking the commerce clause. These stadiums never end up being a net benefit.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 8th, 2016 at 11:07:52 AM permalink
"“NFL stadiums do not generate significant local economic growth, and the incremental tax revenue is not sufficient to cover any significant financial contribution by the city,” said Noll"

http://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stadium-economics-noll-073015/

"Businesses near the stadium like restaurants and hotels might win from the extra local spending, but why should taxpayers pay so that a few favored businesses can see greater profits?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2015/01/31/publicly-financed-sports-stadiums-are-a-game-that-taxpayers-lose/#660ba4d16183

"Spending that goes on inside a stadium tends to flow into the pockets of a relatively few, high-income individuals who live a large portion of the year outside the city,'' Coates said. "Much of that money flows out.''

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/how-much-do-the-tampa-bay-rays-boost-the-local-economy/2112236
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 8th, 2016 at 11:08:39 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

I don't want to pay higher taxes to stay in Las Vegas so that some team owner can become wealthier. If they cannot make building the stadium (any stadium) work for the owner without public subsidizing it, it should not be built. At the very least, the government should be a partner participating in the profit if they make an investment in the stadium.

RonC and I actually agree on something!

I don't care about the NFL. I visit Vegas six times a year. I don't want to have to pay some "stadium fee" in addition to any dumb resort fees I already have to pay.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 192
September 8th, 2016 at 11:11:53 AM permalink
The hotel tax currently brings in over $600 million a year.With a slight increase, a plan that calls for it giving $30 million a year to fund such a stadium doesn't seem outrageous.
What will a tourists pay per night for this? Under a quarter? With no cost to local residents?
My one condition is Mark Davis loses his hairstyle.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
September 8th, 2016 at 11:14:20 AM permalink
Public funding is a classic case of realpolitik. Nobody wants to publicly fund a stadium, but that's how the game is played in most markets. Yes, you can try and play chicken with the owners, but if another city is throwing millions at a new arena the economics change. Playing hardball would be a losing proposition for the city IMO.

T-Mobile arena construction cost was $375m, less than a quarter of what Adelson has estimated, a comparison can't be made regarding private vs public funding.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2016 at 11:26:05 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

RonC and I actually agree on something!

I don't care about the NFL. I visit Vegas six times a year. I don't want to have to pay some "stadium fee" in addition to any dumb resort fees I already have to pay.

Let me rethink my position!!

Nope...I still feel the same!
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2016 at 11:28:14 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

<snip> don't want to have to pay some "stadium fee" in addition to any dumb resort fees I already have to pay.<snip>

It is worse than that...you'll actually end up paying the "stadium fee" and "convention center fee" on the "resort fee"....
RonC
RonC
September 8th, 2016 at 11:30:51 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Public funding is a classic case of realpolitik. Nobody wants to publicly fund a stadium, but that's how the game is played in most markets. Yes, you can try and play chicken with the owners, but if another city is throwing millions at a new arena the economics change. Playing hardball would be a losing proposition for the city IMO.

T-Mobile arena construction cost was $375m, less than a quarter of what Adelson has estimated, a comparison can't be made regarding private vs public funding.

Many cities complain they will "lose their identity" or some such nonsense if a stadium is not built and the end up with no team. Las Vegas is far removed from that possibility--the city has an identity and having a football team will have little or no impact on that identity.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 326
September 8th, 2016 at 11:37:53 AM permalink
Assume the Raiders relocate to Las Vegas.

"Las Vegas Raiders" just doesn't sound right.

Any ideas for another team name, something evocative of Sin City?
"What, me worry?"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 8th, 2016 at 11:54:23 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Assume the Raiders relocate to Las Vegas.

"Las Vegas Raiders" just doesn't sound right.

Any ideas for another team name, something evocative of Sin City?

"UX Vultures"
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

• Jump to: