pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 27th, 2010 at 11:43:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This got me to wondering, what is the biggest "chick flick." To answer that question, I looked at the top 50 movies sorted by men and women. I think the award should go to Gone with Wind, which women rated as #13, and it didn't even make the mens' top 50. Personally, I didn't like it that much either. There were a few good moments, but overall just too long and overdramatic. Great last line though.

What makes for a good question, assuming the movie were real life, would Scarlett and Rhett have ever gotten back together? Ask a woman and you usually get a "yes." Ask a man and you'll get a "hell no!"

To reverse the question, what is the biggest guy movie? Using the same methodology, I'd have to go with Inception. However, that I think rating will go down. The movie was not that good. I regret wasting my money on it. It is probably inflated right now because mostly people who paid good money to see it voted. Instead, I'd have to go with Pulp Fiction, which men rated #5, and it didn't make the womens' top 50.

The list is interesting. First of all there are 6 times as many male participants as female which says something about interest in surveys like this.

Females and Males both picked brooding dark dramas like
* American History X (1998)
* Fight Club (1999)
* Se7en (1995)
* The Professional (1994)
if there is a sexy male lead. But males also picked A Clockwork Orange (1971) which does not have a sexy male lead.

Females had 22% animation while males only had 4% animation.

Predictably there is a lot more extreme violence in male choices, although females will choose a violent movie with a sexy male lead. Also Se7en and Fight Club had more implied violence than explicit violence.

Male choices for fantasy had to be told in an epic tale (like Lord of the Rings). Women are much more accepting of pure fantasy movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Pan's Labyrinth (2006) and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003).

Female choices also included more movies about "society" good or bad.
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Life Is Beautiful (1997)
The Green Mile (1999)
The Pianist (2002)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

I think I agree that the ultimate chick movie was GWTW. Supposedly they sold 200 million tickets when the population of the country was only about 75 million. No movie has ever done that since.

For many men, the ultimate male film is still "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)". It's the only movie that I know that guys brag about seeing a dozen times.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 172
August 27th, 2010 at 1:34:34 PM permalink
Burce Willis and others are okay, but I'm going with Bogart as the totally guy movie actor and who is also first rate.

(went on a Bogart binge awhile back watching more obscure stuff as well)
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 27th, 2010 at 1:44:05 PM permalink
How about 'Avatar' or the 'Lord of the Rings' movies? I walked out on Avatar after the first 30min. The first LOTR was OK, I slept thru the last 2, so they were OK also. Too much computer generated crap, I hate it.

As far as Pulp Fiction goes, that why I mentioned how having Picasso explained to me changed my viewpoint. I really think a lot of people over analize Pulp Fiction and miss what the director was trying to do. Its brilliant.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 27th, 2010 at 2:36:28 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

As far as Pulp Fiction goes, that why I mentioned how having Picasso explained to me changed my viewpoint. I really think a lot of people over analize Pulp Fiction and miss what the director was trying to do. Its brilliant.

I changed my mind. Nareed's Hollywwod Laws Revised Edition begins like this:

1) People who like bad films always claim there is something extraordinary, brilliant, unusual or philosophical about these films. When pressed, however, they cannot bring themselves to say just what that is.

2) Don't ever watch a movie by Quentin Tarantino

3) Whatever happens, nothing happens (stolen from Asimov's First law of Hollywood)

4) Hurry! We need you to wait over here!

Well, it's a work in progress.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
August 27th, 2010 at 3:08:33 PM permalink
Now I'm in a quandary. What do I do if I like Pulp Fiction AND Nareed's Hollywood Laws Revised Edition?

:)

I could say what it is about Pulp Fiction, but you would still hate it, so, I won't. But I hate quite a few films that have been described as "brilliant", so, big deal 'n all. (I think Jean-Luc Godard is a big blowhard.)
NO KILL I
Nareed
Nareed
August 27th, 2010 at 3:39:16 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Now I'm in a quandary. What do I do if I like Pulp Fiction AND Nareed's Hollywood Laws Revised Edition?

:)

You can begin by admiting my powers of observation are second to none :P And that it's quite an impressive feat, considering I haven't seen a movie in theaters since "The Dark Knight."

Quote:

I could say what it is about Pulp Fiction, but you would still hate it, so, I won't.

That's one frequent dodge.

Another is an entreaty to see the movie again. Yet another is to say "It's OBVIOUS!!!!"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
August 27th, 2010 at 4:57:48 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That's one frequent dodge.

Another is an entreaty to see the movie again. Yet another is to say "It's OBVIOUS!!!!"

No, no, you misunderstand. I'm not going to try and change your mind because if you don't like it, you have your reasons, and it's insulting and arrogant of me to assume that you are wrong and I am right. All analyses begin with an opinion, and go from there. You have no choice but to start with, "I don't like it and here's why...." For you to do otherwise would be false. I have to start with "I like it because...."; same reason.

There's stuff I hate that others love. Oh well. I still hate it, you can't talk me into it. I absolutely can't stand the band U2. I think they are pompous blowhards. But people love them regardless.
NO KILL I
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 27th, 2010 at 6:21:30 PM permalink
1) People who like bad films always claim there is something extraordinary, brilliant, unusual or philosophical about these films.>>

Where are all these people who say Pulp Fiction was a 'bad' movie? Rotten Tomatoes, who compiles movie reviews from almost every source imaginable, gave it a 94% rating, which is extremely high. 94% of the critics loved it, the public loved it, it was a huge box office hit. A 2008 Empire poll combining the opinions of readers, movie industry professionals, and critics named Pulp Fiction the 9th best film of all time. NINTH! Mr. Showbiz's READERS' Picks:
The 100 Best Movies of All Time lists it as number THREE. The IMDB gives it a 90% rating out of 1500 reviews. I could go on and on.

How, by any stretch of the imagination, is this a 'bad' movie?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
August 27th, 2010 at 7:51:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How, by any stretch of the imagination, is this a 'bad' movie?

Ah, "gotcha" is such a sweet, ugly word.

You've yet to say what's "brilliant" about "Pulp Fiction"

BTW: quality is not a popularity contest, but fads are.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 172
August 27th, 2010 at 9:16:46 PM permalink
Can something be brilliant yet not enjoyable? (I went back a couple posts to see why Nareed didn't like Pulp Fiction)

(Hah, I never saw it, btw)

But I read that the script for PF won an oscar.

Was the acting first rate?
Casting, directing, etc., all those things that go into a movie?

Certainly the opposite is true: that some movies are fun, enjoyable, but hardly brilliant unless you're simply measuring by standards of audience appreciation.

Citizen Kane, for instance, was "praised for its innovative cinematography, music and narrative structure. The film was nominated for Academy Awards in nine categories..."

Yet, I can truthfully say, I found it okay while watching it. But what do I know.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: