odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 311
August 26th, 2010 at 6:09:09 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

My favorite movie of all time? Midnight Run. Robert DeNiro is a bounty hunter who is trying to bring in Charles Grodin, a mafia accountant. I must have seen it 50 times, but I still laugh every time!

thanks, I have been looking for tips on good DeNiro or Duvall movies.

BTW, the one [?] movie that seems to have them both rates about 7.5 out of 10 with me, "True Confessions"
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 26th, 2010 at 4:51:29 PM permalink
I really enjoyed Duvall in, "The Great Santini" If you enjoy character dramas, he knocks it out of the park. Other's I would recommend, "The Godfather" (w/De Niro), "Open Range" and "Deep Impact". Did you know he was the original Frank Burns in the 1970 film, "M*A*S*H"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
August 26th, 2010 at 4:59:30 PM permalink
I can't argue with the choice of Pulp Fiction as the ultimate guy flick, based on Wizard's methodology of "difference"; highest guy flick to not make the chick list, & vice versa.

My choice for ultimate guy flick is Tombstone. A friendship to the death, clear lines of good and evil, and a libertine female as the prize. You just can't beat that one. In vino veritas.
NO KILL I
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 26th, 2010 at 5:17:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This got me to wondering, what is the biggest "chick flick."

I would think the recent "Twilight" and "New Moon" teen vampire vs. werewolf movies would have to be way up there. I understand that the only males in the audience were reluctant father's of tweens, yet the movies together are approaching half a BILLION US dollars (and counting).

To reverse the question, what is the biggest guy movie?

I think a fair number of women enjoyed Pulp Fiction since many have been John Travolta fans since, "Greaase". The biggest movie that I have yet to meet a single female fan of is, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1388
August 26th, 2010 at 5:25:40 PM permalink
Pulp Fiction: Loved it! The kind of movie I can, and have, watched over and over. My only complaint, which I wrote about in another thread, is Quentin Tarantino's acting role in the movie.

Titanic: I'm going to lose manly points over this, but I liked it, a lot. Not as much as Pulp Fiction, but if you added up the time I've spent watching it, it would come to about 5 complete showings. The kind of movie that if I catch it while channel surfing, I'll stick with it till the end. Another think I like about it is it features Eric' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Newman]Eric Braeden in a minor role. I've known him from the Young and the Restless for years. Oops, there I go losing more manly points.

Midnight Run: Liked it. Definitely underrated, but it still wouldn't make my top 50 list. I keep hearing people say it their favorite movie.

Rocky: I wouldn't call the original Rocky a guy movie, because it had a very good love story in it, which was just as much of the plot as the Apollo fight. I'm hard to please with love stories, but if I were the crying type, I would have been crying buckets at the ending (dang, even more points lost).

Die Hard: Great movie. I may get some strong disagreements over this, but I thought Die Hard 2 was just as good, maybe a hair better.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
August 26th, 2010 at 5:45:23 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The biggest movie that I have yet to meet a single female fan of is, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

Don't know that it's as big, but a contender would be "A Clockwork Orange".
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
August 27th, 2010 at 12:27:11 AM permalink
would Scarlett and Rhett have ever gotten back together? Ask a woman and you usually get a "yes." Ask a man and you'll get a "hell no!">>

Thats the scary thing. Scarlett was one spoiled, selfish bee-ach, and to women, that was OK with them. She scared me to death when I saw that movie for the first time in my early 20's. No way I wanted anything to do with her.

>>I'd have to go with Pulp Fiction, which men rated #5,>>

Women hate that movie. My sister in law said 'Yeah, it was great if you like man on man rape.' I was floored. I said 'thats all you got out of a 2 hour masterpiece, a 90 second rape scene?' They don't get it and you can't make them 'get it', so don't even try..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
August 27th, 2010 at 12:34:26 AM permalink
Titanic was not only the ultimate chick flick>>

Couldn't watch it, never seen it all the way through. The ship was stuffed to the gills with passengers, yet look at all the scenes with just the two star crossed lovers and nobody else. Gag me with a spoon, sorry Wiz. I rank it right up there with 'Bridges of Madison County'. Don't even get me started..

Here's the truth about movies and once I say it, you'll know its true. All male casts and storylines, or almost all male, have carried a huge number of great movies. All female casts seldom do. The reason is, men are interesting and what they do is interesting. Women generally are boring and movies featuring them are boring. Its still a man's world, like it or not. List your 10 favorite movies of all time and you'll see what I mean. My fave? 'The Godfather', of course. Saw it in the theatre and watch it at least once a year, it never gets boring. The biggest non-chick flick ever made. I think its the only movie in Rotten Tomatoes history to get a 100% critical rating. Godfather 2 got 98%.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
chook
chook
  • Threads: 5
August 27th, 2010 at 1:36:22 AM permalink
Quote: chook

Quote: Mosca

I can't argue with the choice of Pulp Fiction as the ultimate guy flick, based on Wizard's methodology of "difference"; highest guy flick to not make the chick list, & vice versa.

My choice for ultimate guy flick is Tombstone. A friendship to the death, clear lines of good and evil, and a libertine female as the prize. You just can't beat that one. In vino veritas.

Speaking of Tombstone, it had some memorable dialogue.
This exchange, prior to the gunfight, always stuck in my mind.

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ...I don't.

You can't trust a dog to mind your food.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
August 27th, 2010 at 3:45:03 AM permalink

Titanic: I'm going to lose manly points over this, but I liked it, a lot. Not as much as Pulp Fiction, but if you added up the time I've spent watching it, it would come to about 5 complete showings. The kind of movie that if I catch it while channel surfing, I'll stick with it till the end. Another think I like about it is it features Eric' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Newman]Eric Braeden in a minor role. I've known him from the Young and the Restless for years. Oops, there I go losing more manly points.

Not a comment onb movie choices I can't narrow mine down to just one anyways, thought "Midnight Run" is one favorite because of all the plotlines (Serrano, the FBI, the bail bobdsmen, Marvie) fit into one simple plot (Get the guy from NY to LA by midnight friday.) But here is an observation on what Wiz said.

Do you almost get more satisfaction finding a movie channel-surfing? I was talking about this with my brother-in-law once and we both sort of agreed that we could own a movie yet watch it if we found it on because you sort of "discover" it then. Anyone else notice this? As the male population of this borad seems to be >90% I'd be interested to know if this is a guy-thing.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: