EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 27th, 2010 at 10:10:17 AM permalink
There are so many classic stand alone scenes in Pulp Fiction that I can't name them all. There is no plot in the classic sense, just a bunch of loosely connected storylines. You never know where any scene is going to end up, its a total surprise. If you take it seriously, you'll never 'get it'. The title gives it away, its pulp fiction, just like the 'pulps' I read when I was a teen. Everything is exagerated and over the top, thats the point. But its the acting that makes it unforgettable. Just one small example. They say the scene where Travolta is driving his car after shooting up with herion is responsible for more people trying the drug for the first time than any movie scene in history. His acting in that scene is so right on, so intense, so believable, he made people actually want to feel that way themselves. Remarkable.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 27th, 2010 at 10:20:49 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Definitely did not like "Pulp Fiction". I think one problem was that it was highly recommended to me, which sort of miffed me. What, am I some kind of drug addict getting a kick out of seeing someone shoot up heroin? etc etc etc. Just a shabby movie IMO on a multitude of sordid subjects. Would I have felt differently if I came across it randomly? Hard to say.

So, Nareed, you are not alone.

I saw it at a friends house, and they were raving about it. I was ready to be aloof and hate it, but it blew the top of my head off. I bet I've seen it 15 times since. Its a masterpiece. But lots of people do hate it, thats for sure. Its usually because it offended their delicate sensibilities or something, like the male rape scene or the language. Maybe its an aquired taste. I used to hate Picasso's paintings, I thought they were crap. They I took a course on Picasso, and now I think his work is genius. I 'see' it in an entirely different way and could look at it for hours. Everything in life depends on your point of view, doesn't it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 27th, 2010 at 10:21:52 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Do you almost get more satisfaction finding a movie channel-surfing? I was talking about this with my brother-in-law once and we both sort of agreed that we could own a movie yet watch it if we found it on because you sort of "discover" it then. Anyone else notice this? As the male population of this borad seems to be >90% I'd be interested to know if this is a guy-thing.

I don't think it is just a guy thing. Women are captured all the time while changing channels. Personally, I have a hard time watching a movie edited for TV, since I abhor five minute commercial marathons.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 27th, 2010 at 10:25:21 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Very well, then. Use up all the board's memory if you want: what's the plot?

While two guys are trying to deliver a briefcase, all Hell breaks loose.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 311
August 27th, 2010 at 10:31:45 AM permalink
THE PLOT version II

everytime somebody is in the bathroom taking a s**t, when they come out they get blown away and that is real funny [not].
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 27th, 2010 at 10:34:13 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Is "Alien" a chick flick or guy flick? At the moment the only name I remember from the movie is Sigourney Weaver's without looking it up.

Alien is both. The violence and gore definitely appeal to the guys, but the suspense, and strong female lead, are definitely winners with the ladies. Interestingly, it was directed by James Cameron, who also did Titanic.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 27th, 2010 at 10:48:14 AM permalink
Expectations do matter, but a fair movie-goer will judge a movie on its merits regardless of expectations.

I went to to see the first "Back To The Future" movie with very low expectations. I loved it, and to a lesser extent the sequels as well.

I rented "Pulp Fiction" with high but undefined expectations. I couldn't watch all of it. I quit by the end of the Bruce Willis sequence. To paraphrase my favorite critical saying, "I don't need to wade through the entire lenght of the sewer to know it's full of crap."

The constant cursing and fould language is unpleasant. The constant violence gets boring (and that's the worst thing that can happen to violence). And in the meantime nothing remotely interesting is happening, nor is it happening to particularly interesting people.

So, yes, I fail to see that so many people would like this movie, much less rate it highly.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
August 27th, 2010 at 10:54:12 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Regarding the plot and non-linear narrative, I don't think anybody will argue that the plot is what carries Pulp Fiction. It is the texture and dialogue. It is the kind of movie that I could come close to reciting the dialogue word for word as I'm watching it. Much like real life, what happens is much the result of accidents and coincidences. For example, just about every use of a gun is accidental, or the shooter misses his target, much like real life. The non-linear story line I think was to de-emphasize the plot, and make it a challenge for the audience to see how all the characters and events were related.

The plot is integral to Pulp Fiction; like you said, part of the viewing experience is putting the pieces together out of sequence. IMO it actually intensifies the plot, making you mind it even more; you carry all the strings alive in your head until they are resolved.

Regarding the violence, I'm comfortable with the level in Pulp Fiction. However, Reservoir Dogs was too heavy for me. I have trouble watching that one. If just the ear scene could be removed, then I could take it. What helps me take it with Pulp Fiction is the violence is kind of cartoony, much like both Kill Bill movies. I think the reason that blood would spray out of people in the Kill Bills was that is how it is drawn in comic books. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in real life it squirts out, in synch with the beating heart. I take the unrealistic way it is shown in the QT movies (Reservoir Dogs excepted) as a wink to the audience that is all done in fun.

Interestingly enough, there is no actual violence (ie, cutting; there is plenty violence throughout the movie) in the ear scene; the camera cuts away at the critical moment. Just proof once more that what your mind creates can be far more graphic than what your eyes see. That scene is why I can't watch that movie again, even though I love it; I can't take the ear scene, either.
NO KILL I
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
August 27th, 2010 at 10:54:56 AM permalink

Another think I like about it is it features Eric' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Newman]Eric Braeden in a minor role. I've known him from the Young and the Restless for years.

Wizard, you are required to take your "Man" card out of your wallet, and shred it immediately. A new one will be issued after you see "The Expendables" three times, and bring your ticket stubs to the sports bar at Hooters during half time of Monday Night Football.

Die Hard: Great movie. I may get some strong disagreements over this, but I thought Die Hard 2 was just as good, maybe a hair better.

I agree with you, DH2 was just as good. You can't go wrong with a Christmas movie sequel.

I'm surprised "Lethal Weapon" hasn't entered the conversation, but I think the female appeal of Mel Gibson at the time made it a, "not just Guy movie" (same with "Mad Max: The Road Warrior").
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
August 27th, 2010 at 10:57:08 AM permalink
Another thumbs up for DH2. I even liked DH3, even though it is just silly in spots; not as good as 1 or 2, not re-watchable like the first two.
NO KILL I

• Jump to: