MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 13th, 2015 at 1:38:54 PM permalink
I read an article about some guys putting a Lamborghini Huracan through its paces on some "twisty" driving roads outside of Las Vegas.

The article didn't say where, other than somewhere "near Mt. Charleston," but the roads were perfect for very high speed runs without apparent fear of getting a ticket, with plenty of curves and turns to experience maximum g's.

Which lead me to wonder: where are the Ultimate Driving Roads near Las Vegas?
"What, me worry?"
travisl
travisl
  • Threads: 2
November 13th, 2015 at 4:57:56 PM permalink
I don't know that it's very twisty, but 90 miles of State Route 318 between Lund and Hiko are used for the Silver State Classic Challenge race each year. It's about 90 minutes north of town. 200 mph average speed aren't unheard of. (Edit: fixed route name typo)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 13th, 2015 at 5:04:02 PM permalink
Quote: travisl

I don't know that it's very twisty, but 90 miles of State Route 381 between Lund and Hiko are used for the Silver State Classic Challenge race each year. It's about 90 minutes north of town. 200 mph average speed aren't unheard of.

I assume you mean route 318, and by looking at Google Maps, it doesn't look very twisty, except maybe for a section about 20 miles north of Hiko.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 13th, 2015 at 5:31:19 PM permalink
Quote: travisl

I don't know that it's very twisty, but 90 miles of State Route 381 between Lund and Hiko are used for the Silver State Classic Challenge race each year. It's about 90 minutes north of town. 200 mph average speed aren't unheard of.

MrV can correct me if I'm wrong, but speed does not make a good driving road. 200mph at Bonneville is pretty boring in anything bigger than a lawn mower. Hell, even Delta goes 600mph, and you could sleep through that (unless EB's got his knees in your back).

"Best" driving is at the limit. When I picture driving in Vegas, all I see is Vanishing Point. Just mat it and wait while a whole bunch of nothing rolls by. That's not fun. Maybe if you had a 68' Camaro with a 572 stuffed in it, but even that's just fun for the first 1,000'. Then it's just a waste of gas.

The best driving road, assuming you're normal and not me, is somewhere that you can reach the limit at reasonable speed. A place that if you're going 45, you are keyed up and buckled in because 45 is way too fast for those corners. Swooping curves and switchbacks and straights and interesting braking zones. Somewhere you have to dance through in rhythm. Maybe even do a lil heel and toe. And after spending far too much time on Google Earth,... I found nothing. If I were in Vegas, I'd be typing Rosamond, CA into the ol GPS and going to Willow Springs tout de suite.

Of course, I'm thinking V has a Berlinetta or some such and wants to gamble it. Maybe it's a big ol' Scag he has and just want to roll along and watch the world go by. In that case... you still gotta leave Vegas lol.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 13th, 2015 at 5:41:43 PM permalink
I'm thinking swooping curves, varying elevation, occasional straight stretches and switchbacks with really good quality pavement.

Something perfect for the proverbial Sunday drive: an hour or two of spirited driving.
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 13th, 2015 at 5:56:27 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I'm thinking swooping curves, varying elevation, occasional straight stretches and switchbacks with really good quality pavement.

Something perfect for the proverbial Sunday drive: an hour or too of spirited driving.

Not in Vegas, but the road over the south side of Mt. Rainier (going from Yakima to Auburn or so) is a super example of that. Or was in the late 80's; my girlfriend had a 5.0L 'Stang, and I had a turbo Dodge Daytona; we used to race it about once a month (yeah, not Lamborghini's, but all you needed for that road; it was a handling challenge!). So I would guess there's something in the mountains nearby Vegas that would qualify.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: