darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
October 26th, 2015 at 3:29:24 PM permalink
This was an analysis of the character I read many years ago so it's not my own. However, I'm putting it into my own words. Sorry, can't remember where I read it except it was a large tome about the movies and not an article on the internet.

The betrayal comes from the audiences identification with Luke Skywalker as a character.

In the first produced film "A New Hope" (1977) we are introduced to Luke Skywalker who is a lonely farm-boy dreaming big and hopelessly romantic. Chances are he'll never amount to much but suddenly by complete chance he is thrust into a fantastic and heroic situation and comes through, learning the ropes as he goes. He was a character almost every young boy could identify with, particularly ones who felt alienation or who were not close to their parents or guardians.

In the second produced film "Empire Strikes Back (1980) comes the shocking revelation that Luke Skywalker is actually the son of the greatest villain next to the Emperor in the entire galaxy. WHAT? The odds must be astronomical but suddenly, Luke is no longer a dust mote farm boy that luckily found his way to adventure. Now, it's clear that there was some underlying purpose (the force or machinations of others) to get his involvement. His is not the role of chance but it was destiny all along which brought him into the limelight. This was the first betrayal for all those boys dreaming they were like Luke Skywalker. Suddenly, you had to imagine not only that you were a poor kid who might find his way into adventure but that you also had to be related to the main bad guy as well.

In the third produced film "Return of the Jedi", (1983) George Lucas gives us another shocking revelation and the second betrayal. Luke Skywalker cannot fall in love with the woman he has rescued and has feelings for, Princess Leia, because it turns out this is his sister. The far-reaching implication is this -- if Luke is Leia's brother and Leia is a princess, then that makes Luke -- a prince! Now, not only must the boys dreaming they are Luke trying to fantasize they are just like him admit they must be related to the lead enemy but also that they must be royalty. It is now turning into populist fantasy (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc) all were small homestead girls separated at some point so they could be raised by surrogates, surprised at being brought into adventure only to discover there was a higher purpose and that almost magically, they weren't poor trash but high society.)

All this makes it almost impossible for the boys trying to imagine themselves as Luke Skywalker to gloss over but perhaps, just perhaps, the children can fantasize that yes, they could be royalty. After all, that's what little girls do when watching the fairy tales of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

So, we come to the fourth film produced, "Phantom Menace" (1999) where George Lucas pulls the final and most devastating betrayal of all. QuiGon Jinn arrives on Tatooine and discovers young Anakin Skywalker (who we know will grow up to be Darth Vader, Luke's father). Anakin is only ten but already incredibly gifted with the force. Quigon is confused how this can be.

He questions the mother who Anakin's father is and his mom says she never was with a man. He has no father! She simply became pregnant and gave birth to Anakin. The film makes so little of this revelation that many may have missed it. SO, Anakin was created by immaculate conception? His father was the force? Quigon states as such which makes Anakin a clear correlation to Christ. He's now the son of God.

And that means Luke Skywalker has once again been elevated to now being -- the Grandson of GOD!

Even the most imaginative kids will have a difficult time extending their reasoning over this one.

And such was the final betrayal by George Lucas to all the kids who wanted to place themselves in their imaginations as the character of Luke Skywalker.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 26th, 2015 at 4:44:03 PM permalink
Regarding Luke and the new film - there is speculation online that Luke is the villain (who is named "Kylo Ren") in Episode VII because he has not been seen on the poster or in the trailers.

I just want to say that I've read the spoilers - and he is not the villain in the new film.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
  • Jump to: