odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 28th, 2010 at 3:13:18 PM permalink
Nobody called me on it, but I was thinking the typical scam against the Cashier was not called a "murphy" after all [something I mentioned in another thread]. So what is it called?

Wikipedia helped again, turns out the cashier scam is called "change raising" [7.4 in the link] and as far as what I had in the past been told was a "murphy" that is actually called a "Pigeon Drop" [7.14]. That is always hilarious to see in a movie, but I know someone who was a victim of it, he had been noticed to be cashing his payday checks out at the bank regularly you see. He was the one who told me the "Pigeon Drop" was called a "murphy".

Now I'm wondering a lot of scams aren't called Murphys, but according to another webpage, it was claimed "a Murphy" is when the "irate husband/boyfriend" accosts the lovers during the act, and gets the mark to flee naked, meanwhile they take off with his possessions.

Here is the Link
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 28th, 2010 at 3:15:44 PM permalink
I'm pretty sure a "murphy" is when whatever can go wrong does :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: