back seat of the cab and had not a
clue what they were saying. Except
the F word, which was almost constant.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Area51
Area51
  • Threads: 2
April 14th, 2015 at 5:16:32 AM permalink
He's going to end up starting a new trend and make his old man proud. The heck with the grades.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
April 14th, 2015 at 5:35:05 AM permalink
The kid will sue the manufacturer of the hair clippers, his father, his mother, the bus driver, the crossing guard, his teachers, the school, the town, and the state. After that he will file for emancipation and grow up to be an upstanding productive member of society. I just love a happy ending.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
April 14th, 2015 at 5:40:06 AM permalink
I understand the power of humiliation from his peers. However, IMO, he is just asking for his son to get his butt whipped at school. Isn't there something else he could do or take away to give him incentive to up his grades. One thing that always worked for me, was regardless of the schools standards, if my grades were not up to my parents' standards, i wasn't allowed to play sports.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
April 14th, 2015 at 5:49:35 AM permalink
As a parent I'm torn. The father clearly is humiliating his son and maybe doing long term psychological damage. On the other hand at least he's somewhat involved in his son's life. So many parents abdicate their responsibilities as parents to the school system and society as a whole. Do I agree with what he did here. No. Do I applaud him for trying to motivate his son, and for being hands on as a parent. Yes. Could he do a better job of helping his son get better grades. Absolutely.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
April 14th, 2015 at 5:55:55 AM permalink
I feel that kid's pain. My father cut my hair until about the age of 12, good grades or bad. Here is one example of his fine work.

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thegov2k2
thegov2k2
  • Threads: 2
April 14th, 2015 at 6:16:57 AM permalink
Nice shirt, Wiz.
Gabes22
Gabes22
April 14th, 2015 at 6:17:58 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

As a parent I'm torn. The father clearly is humiliating his son and maybe doing long term psychological damage. On the other hand at least he's somewhat involved in his son's life. So many parents abdicate their responsibilities as parents to the school system and society as a whole. Do I agree with what he did here. No. Do I applaud him for trying to motivate his son, and for being hands on as a parent. Yes. Could he do a better job of helping his son get better grades. Absolutely.

This I applaud as well. The numbers don't lie, 2 out of every 3 African American kids don't grow up in a 2 parent household these days and that number has been fairly steady over the past few years
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
April 14th, 2015 at 7:18:54 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I feel that kid's pain. My father cut my hair until about the age of 12, good grades or bad. Here is one example of his fine work.

Up up and away…in my beautiful balloon
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
April 14th, 2015 at 7:24:24 AM permalink

lol I think if you're born 1985 or earlier your parents butchered your haircuts... Mine too cut my hair until I refused to have them cut it around age 13. The problem with my dad's handy work was he enjoyed cutting the hair too much and actually shaved my brothers head once. People were asking if he had cancer... Nope, just my dad with a new set of clippers! We took the clippers away before he could get to the family dog.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Gabes22
Gabes22
April 14th, 2015 at 7:34:16 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

lol I think if you're born 1985 or earlier your parents butchered your haircuts... Mine too cut my hair until I refused to have them cut it around age 13. The problem with my dad's handy work was he enjoyed cutting the hair too much and actually shaved my brothers head once. People were asking if he had cancer... Nope, just my dad with a new set of clippers! We took the clippers away before he could get to the family dog.

So, your parents had not problem butchering your hair, but the dog's hair was off limits? Parents treating their pets better than their kids. I think your parents were ahead of their time
Romes
Romes
April 14th, 2015 at 11:01:42 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

So, your parents had not problem butchering your hair, but the dog's hair was off limits? Parents treating their pets better than their kids. I think your parents were ahead of their time

You mistook what I was saying... My dad went 'hog wild' and shaved my brothers head one time, so after that we didn't let him cut our hair anymore, and to further take a jab at his "hair cutting skills" we all joked we were hiding them before he could get to the dog.
Gabes22
Gabes22
April 14th, 2015 at 11:04:54 AM permalink
I was just making a joke, a poor one, at that.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
April 14th, 2015 at 11:07:44 AM permalink
Bring back the Flowbee
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 14th, 2015 at 11:32:29 AM permalink
One thing I learned is to never be first on haircut day. Dad always went way beyond the call of duty on the first kid to the point where the first victim looked like it was his first day in the Marine Corps. The second two just got bad cuts but at least had some hair left.
Romes
Romes
April 14th, 2015 at 11:46:05 AM permalink

One thing I learned is to never be first on haircut day. Dad always went way beyond the call of duty on the first kid to the point where the first victim looked like it was his first day in the Marine Corps. The second two just got bad cuts but at least had some hair left.

Ha, my oldest brother (whom also went first) was the one that got his head shaved by my dad... Perhaps there's some statistical correlations to be made here regarding men and cutting/shaving hair?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 14th, 2015 at 12:19:47 PM permalink
My dad cut our hair in the 50's, always a
buzz cut with the clippers. But that was the
style for kids. Anything to save 50 cents.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 14th, 2015 at 1:57:12 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Ha, my oldest brother (whom also went first) was the one that got his head shaved by my dad... Perhaps there's some statistical correlations to be made here regarding men and cutting/shaving hair?

I think my dad needed to establish who was the boss by giving a military-style haircut the first time. After that, he mellowed out a bit. Kind of like parenting in general -- the oldest child is always subject to the strictest rules and harshest punishments. It also could be argued that they achieve more in later life.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 14th, 2015 at 3:42:45 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

Bring back the Flowbee

You can have it if you want: http://www.amazon.com/FLOWBEE-Haircutting-machine-Flowbee-System/dp/B00020F9TK

But I prefer my little totally self-contained battery-operated handheld Phillips/Norelco version of a turbo vacuuming clipper/trimmer, with an internal hair collection reservoir, no separate vacuum cleaner required. Works great. With no mess. And no help. Fabulously stylish, to my refined taste. Never a bad hair day, relatively speaking. And I didn't have to get any bad grades to get it. What's most great & fabulous about the result is I can run a bar of soap over my head in the morning morning shower, and call it done. Because life is short, then you die, and I squander none of it on daily futsing around with fou-fou hair care products. I am my own style. Get with it, or be uncool. And fou-fou. And become a stiff with a bad hair day after a life wasted on silly "hair stylists."

Teach your spawn to do it right, and finish the job, Dad.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
  • Jump to: