Thread Rating:

JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 2nd, 2015 at 10:41:45 AM permalink
The quiz asks 25 questions about your language usage and word pronunciation and guesses your home city. For me and several of my friends and family it is remarkably precise. I lived in the Dallas area from the ages of 12 to 30 and spent alot of time during my childhood with family members in the Amarillo, TX area. the Quiz offered Irving (a Dallas suburb) , Amarillo and Lubbock as the most likely cities. How accurate is it for you?

NYT Dialect Quiz
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:17:14 AM permalink
It was very accurate and put me in Denver. I took the test again and changed to my Texas answers, and it put me in Houston, where I spent high school.

Apparently, only Houston has "feeder roads." When I lived in Austin, they had the same type of road, but people didn't use that name.
I heart Crystal Math.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 28
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:25:25 AM permalink
I live in Tempe, AZ... The three most similar cities matching to me were Chandler,AZ... Reno, NV... And Sacramento, CA

Chandler and Tempe are neighboring cities so they nailed it
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:42:00 AM permalink
Anyone from these parts need only answer the first one. Only folks from here call a group of people by that term.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:49:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Anyone from these parts need only answer the first one. Only folks from here call a group of people by that term.

Do y'all say "yinz"?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:52:59 AM permalink
That was fun! I live in Connecticut but was born in Boston and still visit two or three times a month. My results were predictable. Boston it was. No quiz needed. You can figure it out as soon as I open my mouth. Even New Yorkers make fun of me. My army buddies had a field day when I was stationed in the Deep South.

This made me thirsty. I need a tonic. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
January 2nd, 2015 at 12:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Do y'all say "yinz"?

"Yinzer" is a half-disparaging term for locals by transplants, it has gotten that bad.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 422
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:27:53 PM permalink
Holy crap, it nailed me right to city I'm
from in MI. The runner up was
Detroit. I had no idea dialect was
so location specific. They could also
be reading my IP, which is more
likely.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:39:39 PM permalink
Try it again and change the answers. I checked poor boy for the sandwich. That and a few other changes took me right to New Orleans. There was no answer that said po' boy which is what most people say.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 62
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:42:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Holy crap, it nailed me right to city I'm
from in MI. The runner up was
Detroit. I had no idea dialect was
so location specific. They could also
be reading my IP, which is more
likely.

they're not reading your IP, genius. Just take the quiz and answer "wrong" and you will see they aren't

• Jump to: