Thread Rating:

JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
January 2nd, 2015 at 10:41:45 AM permalink
The quiz asks 25 questions about your language usage and word pronunciation and guesses your home city. For me and several of my friends and family it is remarkably precise. I lived in the Dallas area from the ages of 12 to 30 and spent alot of time during my childhood with family members in the Amarillo, TX area. the Quiz offered Irving (a Dallas suburb) , Amarillo and Lubbock as the most likely cities. How accurate is it for you?

NYT Dialect Quiz
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:17:14 AM permalink
It was very accurate and put me in Denver. I took the test again and changed to my Texas answers, and it put me in Houston, where I spent high school.

Apparently, only Houston has "feeder roads." When I lived in Austin, they had the same type of road, but people didn't use that name.
I heart Crystal Math.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:25:25 AM permalink
I live in Tempe, AZ... The three most similar cities matching to me were Chandler,AZ... Reno, NV... And Sacramento, CA

Chandler and Tempe are neighboring cities so they nailed it
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:42:00 AM permalink
Anyone from these parts need only answer the first one. Only folks from here call a group of people by that term.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
JimRockford
JimRockford
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:49:42 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Anyone from these parts need only answer the first one. Only folks from here call a group of people by that term.

Do y'all say "yinz"?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:52:59 AM permalink
That was fun! I live in Connecticut but was born in Boston and still visit two or three times a month. My results were predictable. Boston it was. No quiz needed. You can figure it out as soon as I open my mouth. Even New Yorkers make fun of me. My army buddies had a field day when I was stationed in the Deep South.

This made me thirsty. I need a tonic. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 2nd, 2015 at 12:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Do y'all say "yinz"?

"Yinzer" is a half-disparaging term for locals by transplants, it has gotten that bad.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:27:53 PM permalink
Holy crap, it nailed me right to city I'm
from in MI. The runner up was
Detroit. I had no idea dialect was
so location specific. They could also
be reading my IP, which is more
likely.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
1BB
1BB
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:39:39 PM permalink
Try it again and change the answers. I checked poor boy for the sandwich. That and a few other changes took me right to New Orleans. There was no answer that said po' boy which is what most people say.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:42:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Holy crap, it nailed me right to city I'm
from in MI. The runner up was
Detroit. I had no idea dialect was
so location specific. They could also
likely.

they're not reading your IP, genius. Just take the quiz and answer "wrong" and you will see they aren't
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 2nd, 2015 at 1:48:34 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

they're not reading your IP

I still think they see the IP, where I
live doesn't talk any different than I
see on TV. Not possible to be that
accurate, this isn't 1875.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
  • Threads: 1
January 2nd, 2015 at 2:09:41 PM permalink

I still think they see the IP.

Something isn't right.

I tried it, and it finally came back with, "Map not available, save this link to keep your answers and check back later."

I checked a minute later to get, "You’re viewing another reader’s map. Click here to take the quiz and see your own."

Doesn't make sense while using a VPN, etc?
Nonsense is a very hard thing to keep up. Just ask the Wizard and company.
JimRockford
JimRockford
January 2nd, 2015 at 2:14:22 PM permalink
Quote: Kerkebet

Something isn't right.

I tried it, and it finally came back with, "Map not available, save this link to keep your answers and check back later."

I checked a minute later to get, "You’re viewing another reader’s map. Click here to take the quiz and see your own."

Doesn't make sense while using a VPN, etc?

I got similar errors the first time I tried it. I went back to the original link and took it again and it worked fine ever since.
1BB
1BB
January 2nd, 2015 at 2:24:36 PM permalink
I took it again and checked other on every question that it was available, 21 in this case. The results took me to Des Moines Iowa. Anyone from Des Moines? What's going on there?
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
January 2nd, 2015 at 2:30:14 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

The results took me to Des Moines Iowa. Anyone from Des Moines? What's going on there?

Is that anywhere near Montana, and you know who?
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 2nd, 2015 at 2:48:37 PM permalink
I took this twice last year. First one said St. Louis which is correct for me. Second time was somewhere like Springfield, IL.
1BB
1BB
January 2nd, 2015 at 2:49:48 PM permalink

Is that anywhere near Montana, and you know who?

Only a couple of trains away.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 2nd, 2015 at 3:10:02 PM permalink
Nailed me in Pittsburgh. Very interesting.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Daddydoc
Daddydoc
January 2nd, 2015 at 3:16:49 PM permalink

They could also
likely.

It put me in Philadelphia, where I grew up (but about 200 miles east of where I currently reside). The dialect here is closer to Pittsburgh than Philadelphia. There are very distinct differences between the two. I don't even think I have a hint of the "Philadelphia accent" left, but this quiz is based on usage, not twang.
If government is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
January 2nd, 2015 at 4:09:37 PM permalink
Amazing! I'm from and live in New York and it picked New York! The other choices were bordering cities Yonkers and Jersey City. Very cool.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 2nd, 2015 at 4:12:49 PM permalink

The results are generated entirely by your quiz answers. You can see that from your personal results URL, which contains every answer you gave in the address.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 2nd, 2015 at 6:13:53 PM permalink

I took it again and checked other on every question that it was available, 21 in this case. The results took me to Des Moines Iowa. Anyone from Des Moines? What's going on there?

so that's what it was. I went with closest to the pin answers in several cases, and it put me near Chicago (suburbs) where I've never lived. I should've been more exact on the "others". I did most of my growing-up years within 150 miles of Des Moines, 5th grade thru age 25, but N, E, and W of it depending on the years. 2 years living there "legally", but I was in college at the time.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 2nd, 2015 at 6:44:02 PM permalink
I've lived in a number of places as follows:

Orange County CA: 18 years
Las Vegas: 14 years
Baltimore: 9 years
Santa Barbara: 5 years
San Diego: 3 months
Indiana: 3 months
Ontario (Canada): 4 months

There were some words where I knew of the regional differences and went with what I call them now. For example, I've always used "firefly" but when I moved to Baltimore everybody corrected me when I used that term, saying they were "lightning bugs." I know they also would never say "garage sale" in favor of "yard sale" in Baltimore but in California it is almost always "garage sale." In Vegas I've seen it both ways, a little more in favor of garage sale.

Anyway, my map was very red along the California coast, with the best guesses of San Francisco, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa. Pretty close.

Finally, they are rollie-pollie bugs, dang it!

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
January 2nd, 2015 at 6:50:22 PM permalink
It put me at either Newark, NJ or Philly. I am at the Jersey shore, about an hour from either one, pretty close.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 2nd, 2015 at 6:51:37 PM permalink
"What do you call a drive through liquor store?"

What the...?

Edit. I used to love playing with Rollie pollies when I was a little kid. Now I absolutely hate bugs.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:58:44 PM permalink
I have three spots on the map:

Louisville, Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky
Wichita, Kansas

Kentucky is geographically the closest, but I still consider the quiz to be incorrect. The mean average distance of these two cities, from me, is over 300 miles.

Although, I'm not surprised to find that my manner of speech is not comparable to that of someone who lives around here. Call me arrogant, but I like to flaunt the fact that I have a greater than second-grade education.

I had no idea that individuals from Kentucky spoke so well, but I must give credit where credit is due. I do know, however, that my pronunciations tend to compare more closely with someone from the Midwest than an Appalachian person because I refuse to speak in the manner that many of these people do, so I tip my hat to Wichita in that regard.

Additionally, I'm surprised to find that there are specific words for a good many things for which I did not know that there were specific words. Not just a specific word, but apparently, many of them. For instance, the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street, where I'm from, would just be considered part of the yard, so there's no special word for that. The grassy strip in the middle of the road, to me, is also simply known as the, "Median," unless there happens to be a grassy strip in the middle of a rural road or non-major road in a town, in which event, it is not called anything.

We also simply call the drive-through liquor store a, "Drive-Through," which interestingly, didn't appear to be an option...so, I just went with, "We have no name for this," or whatever the verbiage on that answer was.

Anyway, thanks for linking up to the quiz JimRockford! I typically don't participate in the non-gambling or sports game threads very often, but this was a rather interesting quiz and certainly worth sharing.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
January 3rd, 2015 at 12:19:39 AM permalink
I took the test one more time on the assumption that there may be a few different questions, which there were, and my results are:

Lexington, KY
Louisville, KY
Akron, OH

In this case, Akron is the closest to me. I think it is close enough to call the test correct, in this instance.

Okay, three more:

Kansas City, MO
Overland Park, KS (Might as well be Kansas City)
Springfield, MO

I used to live in Kansas City, and this version of the test seemed more pronunciation-based, so these results are unsurprising.

Omaha, NE
Lincoln, NE
Columbus, OH

Columbus is reasonably close, but again, I speak more like a Midwesterner than anything, although I've only lived out there 3.23% of my life.

Wichita, KS
Overland Park, KS
Cincinnati, OH
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 3rd, 2015 at 12:58:16 AM permalink
I also took the quiz twice. Some of the questions changed but both times it came out with Boston and Worcester.
I grew up an hour away from each. So pretty accurate.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
1BB
1BB
January 3rd, 2015 at 4:21:39 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

I also took the quiz twice. Some of the questions changed but both times it came out with Boston and Worcester.
I grew up an hour away from each. So pretty accurate.

My wife is from Worcester and got the same results as you and I. It's pronounced Woos-tah by the locals. The oo is short as in book. Drive a scant fifty miles west on the Mass Pike to Springfield and the Boston accent disappears. As soon as you cross the Connecticut River it's gone.

This is a dialect quiz which, as Daddydoc pointed out is about useage, hence my puzzlement about Des Moines. Do they not converse there? If the quiz asks the pertinent questions, shouldn't the test always be accurate? Poor boy - New Orleans, tonic - Boston etc. Accents are more difficult but no less fun. Great thread!
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 3rd, 2015 at 5:02:23 AM permalink
The interesting thing about the quiz is that it shows different names for things. I just always assumed everyone called them potato bugs. Never even heard of some of the other names.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
UP84
UP84
January 3rd, 2015 at 5:33:38 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks Mike, I had NO idea what the reference was in that "rolled up bug" question!!

Quote: Mission146

Although, I'm not surprised to find that my manner of speech is not comparable to that of someone who lives around here. Call me arrogant, but I like to flaunt the fact that I have a greater than second-grade education.

I had no idea that individuals from Kentucky spoke so well, but I must give credit where credit is due. I do know, however, that my pronunciations tend to compare more closely with someone from the Midwest than an Appalachian person because I refuse to speak in the manner that many of these people do, so I tip my hat to Wichita in that regard.

I retook the test and made a note of the questions. By far the bulk of them are related to usage, not pronunciation. In my count, 19 were "what do you call" type, while only 6 were "how do you pronounce".

It's definitely not based on IP addresses. I sent the quiz to my sisters, who at the moment are on vacation in Flathead Lake Montana, and they got almost the same results (NYC) as me. Interestingly, Boston came up as one of the choices for my sister who went to college there…I think that's because she used the term "Rotary", which based on the map seems to be a very regional-specific term.
chickenman
chickenman
January 3rd, 2015 at 6:56:14 AM permalink
Amazing, dead-on for me.

In college, even the folks from New Jersey made fun of my accent. In the army, everyone did :-)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 3rd, 2015 at 7:41:18 AM permalink

They ... are ... PILL BUGS!!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Mission146
Mission146
January 3rd, 2015 at 8:22:56 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

Those weren't even the bugs that came to mind, for me. I've not seen those very often, if ever.

We have bugs around here that are gray and/or brown and black, usually some mixture of three colors, but predominantly gray. Unlike the bugs pictured above, this bugs do not have a shell or exoskeleton, whatever the case, but are covered by a bunch tiny hairs. These are hairy caterpillars, which we would just call hairy caterpillars...lol

I think that the actual name of the bug pictured above (Armadillidiidae) is appropriate given their resemblance to armadillos. Perhaps something easier to pronounce would not be out of the question, "Armadillabug?"
Toes14
Toes14
January 3rd, 2015 at 8:43:07 AM permalink
I grew up in St. Louis, and have been here nearly my whole life. The quiz listed Overland Park, KS, Rockford, IL, and Fort Wayne, IN for me, despite having the darkest red matching coloration right around St. Louis. Odd. Of course I've also had people tell me I can't be from StL because I don't pronounce Highway 44 as "Farty-far".
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
JimRockford
JimRockford
January 3rd, 2015 at 10:48:18 AM permalink

I have three spots on the map:

Louisville, Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky
Wichita, Kansas

Kentucky is geographically the closest, but I still consider the quiz to be incorrect. The mean average distance of these two cities, from me, is over 300 miles.

From your results as well as those from Babs and some others it seems that the data does not discern between Midwest towns very well. Maybe the language usage is too similar between Midwest towns or more likely the discerning characteristics are not captured by the survey.

Anyway, thanks for linking up to the quiz JimRockford! I typically don't participate in the non-gambling or sports game threads very often, but this was a rather interesting quiz and certainly worth sharing.

Thanks for saying that. I was half expecting to get an invitation to take my action to DT. I am also guilty of starting the cover song thread a couple of years ago.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
January 3rd, 2015 at 10:55:36 AM permalink

Weird this question wasn't one of the 25 I was asked, but in AZ we call them Rollie pollies too.
1BB
1BB
January 3rd, 2015 at 10:58:49 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

Amazing, dead-on for me.

In college, even the folks from New Jersey made fun of my accent. In the army, everyone did :-)

Wow, chickenman! The quiz didn't mention coffee milk, gravy on pasta, cabinets or the big blue bug and they still pegged you. Don't get me started on Del's lemonade. Somebody ask him what a cabinet is. :-)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 3rd, 2015 at 11:00:47 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Weird this question wasn't one of the 25 I was asked, but in AZ we call them Rollie pollies too.

I took it twice and didn't get this question either time. (The second time it put me in CA! huh?)

I infer that there's a narrowing based on the first few questions you answer, that you go into a queue that goes from general to more specific in order to pinpoint from area to region to state to city, something like that. And I don't think I've ever seen these bugs, so I wouldn't have known what to call them, don't know what parts of the country they occur.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 3rd, 2015 at 11:17:16 AM permalink
Quote: Toes14

I grew up in St. Louis, and have been here nearly my whole life. The quiz listed Overland Park, KS, Rockford, IL, and Fort Wayne, IN for me, despite having the darkest red matching coloration right around St. Louis. Odd. Of course I've also had people tell me I can't be from StL because I don't pronounce Highway 44 as "Farty-far".

So is it Missoureee, or missourah?
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 3rd, 2015 at 11:36:12 AM permalink
This might be the right thread for the pronunciations of towns. The locals know how it pronounced but a lot of out-of-towners don't.

Ely, Nevada is pronounced "ee-lee" not "ee-lie."
Kearny, Nebraska is pronounced "kar-nee" not "ker-nee."
Pierre, South Dakota is pronounced "peer" not "pee-air."

And if you are an old white geezer living in Pueblo, Colorado all your life its pronounced "pew-eb-lo" no "pweb-lo."

Do you know of any other towns where its not pronounced the obvious way?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 3rd, 2015 at 11:43:29 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

And I don't think I've ever seen these bugs, so I wouldn't have known what to call them, don't know what parts of the country they occur.

Pretty much everywhere. They like dark, wet, and areas with a lot of detritus and/or dead foliage. So very rocky, sparsely vegetated areas, like a desert, are probably void of them. I imagine sandy, coastal areas are a tough find as well. But anywhere the above occurs, like here in the north east where there's plenty of fertile soil and a million million dead leaves, they are everywhere. Were I to pick a random 6' radius in my garden and start rooting around, finding 100 isn't out of the question.

On topic, it nailed me as well. Although while it picked Buffalo correctly, it added Rochester, and I find the two very different indeed. It is so immediately obvious when I meet a Rochan that I'm surprised they grouped them together.

As an aside, I answered the test again using UK lingo. It put me in Montgomery, Alabama. Needless to say, my opinion of thecesspit has changed dramatically

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 3rd, 2015 at 11:56:43 AM permalink
Quote: Face

As an aside, I answered the test again using UK lingo. It put me in Montgomery, Alabama. Needless to say, my opinion of thecesspit has changed dramatically

The southern U.S. dialect is more closely related to the English dialect than the northern U.S. dialect.
JimRockford
JimRockford
January 3rd, 2015 at 12:02:24 PM permalink
Quote: RS

"What do you call a drive through liquor store?"

What the...?

I know it sounds irresponsible, but at least in Texas a drive through liquor store can't be within 1000 ft. from a drive through gun store.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 3rd, 2015 at 12:13:39 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

I know it sounds irresponsible, but at least in Texas a drive through liquor store can't be within 1000 ft. from a drive through gun store.

In Mississippi a girl has to be 14 years old to marry. It keeps the Arkansans on their side of the river.
Kerkebet
Kerkebet
January 3rd, 2015 at 12:46:14 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

The southern U.S. dialect is more closely related to the English dialect than the northern U.S. dialect.

Not sure that I follow you. Seems counter intuitive.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
January 3rd, 2015 at 1:01:05 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

This might be the right thread for the pronunciations of towns. The locals know how it pronounced but a lot of out-of-towners don't.

Ely, Nevada is pronounced "ee-lee" not "ee-lie."
Kearny, Nebraska is pronounced "kar-nee" not "ker-nee."
Pierre, South Dakota is pronounced "peer" not "pee-air."

And if you are an old white geezer living in Pueblo, Colorado all your life its pronounced "pew-eb-lo" no "pweb-lo."

Do you know of any other towns where its not pronounced the obvious way?

Worcester mass is wista or woosta not wor cestar
Coos county in nh is co os not coos rhymes with loose
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
January 3rd, 2015 at 1:04:08 PM permalink

Wow, chickenman! The quiz didn't mention coffee milk, gravy on pasta, cabinets or the big blue bug and they still pegged you. Don't get me started on Del's lemonade. Somebody ask him what a cabinet is. :-)

Ok.I'll bite. What's cabinet, gravy on pasta and big blue bug.Because of the coffee milk I'm guessing you're from New England.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
January 3rd, 2015 at 1:07:22 PM permalink

Not sure that I follow you. Seems counter intuitive.

It's just what I've read. But I can't cite any sources at this point. I'll see what I can find.
1BB
1BB
January 3rd, 2015 at 2:14:42 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Ok.I'll bite. What's cabinet, gravy on pasta and big blue bug.Because of the coffee milk I'm guessing you're from New England.

Coffee milk is milk and coffee syrup made the way you would make chocolate milk. It is the official drink of Rhode Island where, chickeman hails from and where I spent a lot of summers.

The big blue bug is the mascot that sits atop a pest control company and can be see when driving through Providence on I95.

Gravy is tomato sauce. I've heard this in New York and Jersey as well. It may be more an Italian thing. Lots of Italians in Rhode Island.

Ah, the delicious cabinet also called the coffee cabinet or just cab. Coffee ice cream, coffee syrup and milk. It's called a frappe in Boston although frappes come in different flavors while a cabinet is usually coffee.

Jeat? That's Rhode Islandeese for did you eat?

I was born in Southie which is what we call South Boston. I may leave New England at times but I always return. It's home.
  • Jump to: