billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 215
December 12th, 2020 at 1:57:25 PM permalink
I've got a young guy camping out near me. The owner is letting him camp out for three weeks in return for some painting. He is from Austin Texas and is working his way to Oregon on his electric bike. He says he paid $950 for it and it resembles a 1960s three speed bike. When he is on the road, he says he does 150 miles a day but can do more. He let a few people try it, but it looks too delicate for me. He is a small guy has has an XS frame. We are about 12 miles from Old Bisbee, and it is almost all uphill. You gain 1200 feet on the three mile trek to the main road, another 1,000 on the first few miles, go downhill a bit and end up gaining 1,000 feet in the last two miles. He's been doing it daily but says the uphill ride cuts down on his range big time.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
December 12th, 2020 at 1:58:00 PM permalink
deleted double post
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 12th, 2020 at 2:10:29 PM permalink
Hmmm the way I understood the electric bikes, didnít look too much into them, was you can have the electric assist part turned on or off. My hope was to mostly only use it on the uphill parts, would probably just prefer a regular folding bike if electric always on unless itís dead or detached.
StevieRayShine
StevieRayShine
  • Threads: 0
December 12th, 2020 at 2:12:34 PM permalink
I went for a bike ride today in Saigon. Now THAT was an experience I'll never forget. From block to block, building to building, you feel like you're in two different worlds: the old and the new.
billryan
billryan
December 12th, 2020 at 2:23:46 PM permalink
He says on flat ground, the bike will go 10MPH on its own or about 16 if you pedal along with it. It looks like it goes faster.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
December 12th, 2020 at 2:39:17 PM permalink
Quote: StevieRayShine

I went for a bike ride today in Saigon. Now THAT was an experience I'll never forget. From block to block, building to building, you feel like you're in two different worlds: the old and the new.

Ho Chi Minh City?
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
December 12th, 2020 at 2:42:58 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

That sounds nice. Did you ride your bike to it? I assume that would be a good ride from the RV park.

I drove over after checking out the Bellagio Christmas display this morning. I'm sure its packed right now with a long line to get in.
One of the shortest Vegas walks I have ever taken. The display is right by the garage elevators. Barely a line to get in this morning
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
December 13th, 2020 at 11:10:31 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Hmmm the way I understood the electric bikes, didnít look too much into them, was you can have the electric assist part turned on or off. My hope was to mostly only use it on the uphill parts, would probably just prefer a regular folding bike if electric always on unless itís dead or detached.

If youíre climbing paved roads a foldable will work. If youíre climbing unpaved trails Iím not so sure of the sturdiness of suitable folder. Iíve had 3 electric bicycle. The first was pedal assist only. The last two have both options for just power cruising and pedal assist. This last one is my only foldable. But I bought It more as a bargain than for that reason.. in fact, Iíve never folded it since I unfolded it. Iíve ridden on trails with all three bikes. But none of them were ideal. Even the weakest (250 watt) was capable of making the most difficult climb in the Tour de France on a single charge. So, for climbing purposes, they are all good.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
December 13th, 2020 at 9:15:37 PM permalink
One is the Brompton. Smaller wheels of course.

https://us.brompton.com
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 2
December 14th, 2020 at 8:45:46 AM permalink
I drove by. It was packed on Saturday morning. Tragic.

• Jump to: