2 votes (11.11%)
8 votes (44.44%)

18 members have voted

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 25th, 2014 at 5:13:42 AM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

So ... Tony Dungy weighed in on Michael Sam. Dungy, a highly respected coach and outspoken Christian.

Whoa there. I ain't never heard of either of them. If one is a coach, the other must be a sports player, so I have no respect for either and if someone is religious that is bad enough unto itself, but if they are outspoken about it, I don't want to hear any of it.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
July 25th, 2014 at 5:40:40 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

someone is religious that is bad enough unto itself, but if they are outspoken about it, I don't want to hear any of it.

I agree, If someone wants to be religious, thats fine, keep it in your home, keep it in your church. Believe whatever you want.
Outspoken, please, dont push religious views on me, I dont want to hear it. Shouldn't have to here it.

(been posting alot lately from work last few days due to being in remote training at work and its boring. Teacher trainer is at home in San Antonio and me the student is in Tampa and other students at home in various cities around the country. Its all over the computer and phone)
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 25th, 2014 at 5:55:15 AM permalink
Posts debating the immigration question on the southern US border have been split here.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
July 25th, 2014 at 6:40:34 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Whoa there. I ain't never heard of either of them. If one is a coach, the other must be a sports player, so I have no respect for either and if someone is religious that is bad enough unto itself, but if they are outspoken about it, I don't want to hear any of it.

Where in Dungy's comments about Sam was he pushing his religious views? I don't believe there was a hidden agenda here, he was stating that there can be a distraction because Sam is the first openly gay football player in the NFL. I think he would have the same point of view for anything that creates extra attention and the resulting distractions. Anything that is new or different gets attention, look at Danica Patrick in NASCAR, and she isn't even the first nor is the story 'new' anymore, yet she gets extra media attention because it's different.

I don't blame the media, they have a job to do and if it's newsworthy they should cover it. I bet the NFL is embracing this story because it paints a picture of sexual orientation tolerance in a league full of testosterone. But that doesn't translate to the way coach's feel, not because they have a religious bias against gays, but because it creates an on-going distraction until more players come out and it isn't 'different' any longer.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
July 25th, 2014 at 7:58:57 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I agree, If someone wants to be religious, thats fine, keep it in your home, keep it in your church. Believe whatever you want.
Outspoken, please, dont push religious views on me, I dont want to hear it. Shouldn't have to here it.

I agree. Kind of like liberal views on the debt, gay rights, abortion, minimum wage and such. Just like Religion, they are fantasies that can never be proven that they are real, but they still have their believers out there wishing and dreaming of something they are unwilling to work for. I dont want to hear about them, but you cant turn on the TV or have a conversation without hearing about them or meeting someone living in Disney World.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 25th, 2014 at 10:54:51 AM permalink

Shouldn't have to where it?

So, free speech only for those that agree with you then?
terapined
terapined
July 25th, 2014 at 11:29:45 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Shouldn't have to where it?

So, free speech only for those that agree with you then?

If I am walking in a airport or sitting in a airport and somebody approaches me preaching the bible or a Hari Krishna (happenned to me at a airport) preaches his stuff.
I say leave me alone.
Then leave me alone, I dont want to hear it.
I shouldn't have to deal with any of this religious crap at the airport.

I live near Clearwater, I cant stand it when walking down the street in Clearwater, scientologists constantly badger people, sheesh, leave me alone, its not like I am walking into your place interested. NO INTEREST.

I've had Mormon recruiters actually knock on my front door. I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 25th, 2014 at 12:33:10 PM permalink

I've had Mormon recruiters actually knock on my front door. I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT.

Put some padding ont he door and you won't ;)

Seriously, unless they come in very early on a Weekend morning, think of this as an opportunity.

Mormon: Would you like to hear about Jesus?
You: No, thanks. Would you like to hear abour Satan? No? Why not?

If they leave a card or a pamphlet with a number, then you can give that out for when you know it will end up on telemarketing lists.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 25th, 2014 at 12:33:30 PM permalink
So, free speech only for the opinions that you want to hear?

You should make a list of things that you want to hear and things that you don't, and then lobby to have the government limit free speech to only those things that you are ok hearing.

The fact is, whether you like it or not, everyone has the right to get up on his soapbox in a public area.
terapined
terapined
July 25th, 2014 at 1:05:06 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

So, free speech only for the opinions that you want to hear?

You should make a list of things that you want to hear and things that you don't, and then lobby to have the government limit free speech to only those things that you are ok hearing.

The fact is, whether you like it or not, everyone has the right to get up on his soapbox in a public area.

I dont have a problem with a soapbox in a public area.
I have a problem with Mormons coming to my front door.
So you consider somebody coming to my front door to push religion on me a free speech issue?
A community that has a "no soliciting sign"

• Jump to: