2 votes (11.11%)
8 votes (44.44%)

18 members have voted

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
July 23rd, 2014 at 2:59:28 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I love how liberals all have the exact same world view... which we don't, by the way...

Huh, where does this come from?
We are a country of individuals, Some lean far left, some generally left, some slightly left, some in the middle, some slightly right, some generally right, some extreme right.
Cmon, have some common sense, your statement is absurd.
The reality is that most individuals have a mixture of right and left views.
Take me, I support gay marriage, I don't support raising the min wage to 15/hr.
I voted for Bob Dole, I voted for Obama.
I like John Mccain, I cant stand Sara Palin.
I don't like MSNBC, I don't like Foxnews.
Cant stand Al Sharpton, Cant stand Hannity.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
July 23rd, 2014 at 3:12:04 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Huh, where does this come from?
We are a country of individuals, Some lean far left, some generally left, some slightly left, some in the middle, some slightly right, some generally right, some extreme right.
Cmon, have some common sense, your statement is absurd.
The reality is that most individuals have a mixture of right and left views.
Take me, I support gay marriage, I don't support raising the min wage to 15/hr.
I voted for Bob Dole, I voted for Obama.
I like John Mccain, I cant stand Sara Palin.
I don't like MSNBC, I don't like Foxnews.
Cant stand Al Sharpton, Cant stand Hannity.

I think that's what cess meant; we're not cookie-cutter lockstep in agreement about everything, or even in opposition to every conservative idea.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
July 23rd, 2014 at 3:17:40 PM permalink
My unsolicited interpretation of thecesspit's comment is that, if you're not liberal, you automatically think that all liberals are the same.

I don't feel the need to discuss my political journey, but it is fair to say these last six years have seen me move to the right. That being said, and insofar as I can be the Sole Arbiter and Final Word for the right even though I've not always hung my hat there ... I don't see thecesspit's assumption play out at all in those circles. (Yes, I am part of those mysterious "circles" now and then!)

What I think they mean is, the liberal extreme vocal minority exercises a very disproportional amount of influence over the movement/philosophy/Democrat party as a whole. They (people on the right) don't think all liberals are foaming-at-the-mouth Maddow/Ayers/Alinski/Olbermann/Sarandon/Penn weirdos. They know that these things come in a continuum like terapined describes. They do think, though, that the sane majority (for lack of a better term) of liberals - Joe Lieberman, for example - are way too silent and don't stand up to the Libtard Bluenecks out there that exercise the influence.

FWIW, yes, some of my "friends" have dropped me since I moved right, but those people weren't really friends anyway. But for the most part, life has just gone on with a few more interesting dinner conversations!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 86
July 23rd, 2014 at 3:29:42 PM permalink
Babs and Mr W are right, I misunderstood Cess's post. sorry Cess.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 23rd, 2014 at 3:38:22 PM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

What I think they mean is, the liberal extreme vocal minority exercises a very disproportional amount of influence over the movement/philosophy/Democrat party as a whole.

That sounds curiously similar to the situation on the conservative side.

Must be an astonishing coincidence.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
July 23rd, 2014 at 3:56:37 PM permalink
I love when heterosexual men believe every homosexual man in a locker room is out to sleep with them LOL
I always find this amusing.
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
July 23rd, 2014 at 4:16:51 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

I love when heterosexual men believe every homosexual man in a locker room is out to sleep with them LOL
I always find this amusing.

I'm not sure if a gay man in a locker room does a quick evaluation of "hot or not" the way straight men often do with women. That said, gay men, just like straight men, have standards, preferences, and definite turn-offs, so even if they do that evaluation, there's a good chance the insecure man would be a reject anyway. Which, in my opinion, is kind of funny.

Insecure straight man: "Eeeew, he's checking me out in the locker room!"

Gay man: "Oh please, with that back hair?"
Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Threads: 19
July 23rd, 2014 at 4:17:53 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I believe that he brings up a fair point, why would you risk a media circus over a 7th rounder, someone who might not even make your roster come September? People get passed up for a bunch of reasons that aren't football-related. It's a reasonable explanation and it's not my place to judge his motives.

This.

The rarer your skill or talent at doing a job, the more leniency you're going to get regarding any screw ups or baggage in your personal life. It's that way in every profession. The reason pro athletes get so many second, third and fourth chances is because there are so few people who can do what they do. With Sam, he's a fringe NFL player. May not even make the roster this season. Dungy doesn't think a marginal player is worth the additional media scrutiny. I agree with him. I wouldn't have drafted him, either. If he were a 1st round talent, though, that would be a different story. He would be worth tolerating a few more cameras and media members around. But he's not J. Clowney.

NFL teams have put up with all kinds of legal issues, baggage, and poor public behavior from star players that would have gotten a normal person in a normal job fired. There are tons of people with a college degree who can do John Doe's job at the local bank if he fails a drug test or makes a fool of himself in a public venue. But when you're an athletic freak of nature and a top-tier NFL player and there are only a couple of people in the entire country who can do your job as well as you can and there are millions of dollars at stake, you're pretty much always going to keep your job as long as you are not in prison.

Sam's sexual orientation may not be a crime or any kind of bad thing to most people, but it could be considered too much of a distraction for a player with limited ability.
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
July 23rd, 2014 at 4:18:03 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That sounds curiously similar to the situation on the conservative side.

Must be an astonishing coincidence.

Careful! You may be revealing that thecesspit was projecting a liberal trait on conservatives that conservatives don't actually have!

Maybe, but the difference lies in what we see out there. I see all sorts of visceral judgment and criticism leveled at those who support, say, traditional marriage ... see also Brendan Eich. I do not see a similar response to those who support abortion ... at least, I have not heard of a CEO forced to resign for donating to, say, Planned Parenthood.

On the other hand, I see conservatives across the board condemn things like limiting free speech where I do not see the silent liberal majority condemning the IRS targeting.

The thinking that those positions aren't attacked in society because they're "correct" is the manifestation of this disproportional influence, right up there with "Only a sith speaks in absolutes." In other words, it's making a point using rhetoric that the point itself condemns.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 23rd, 2014 at 4:28:34 PM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

I do not see a similar response to those who support abortion ...

You mean you have never seen op-ed pieces about the great American holocaust as a result of abortion? What kind of policies do you suppose such poeple would ennact?

You should read up on immigration, too. I love it how conservatives say they favor legal immigration, while ignoring the fact that it's almost impossible to legally immigrate any more (unless you have family in the US or loads of money).

Not to say liberals are any kind of great bargain either. Really, the only question is which side is worse. The only answer, most of the time, is: both are.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: