boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
July 14th, 2014 at 2:32:58 PM permalink
I've also read that the minerals flow to the outside of the ice when freezing, so the outside of the ice cube contains the most impurities. And it is possible to supercool water to well below freezing (down to -40, actually), if the water is pure. As soon as you agitate the supercooled water, it turns instantly to ice.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 14th, 2014 at 2:35:09 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

Ice is a very good thermal insulator.

A godsend to hunters of the north. Many a time I've laid up, covered myself in snow, and fell asleep. It gets downright cozy in a snow blanket.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
July 14th, 2014 at 2:45:41 PM permalink
One thing that hasn't been addressed is where the water was before it was placed in the freezer. If it came out of a hot car/truck/garage, etc. it may have been quite hot to begin with, maybe close to or exceeding 100 degrees F. Also, were the other items in the freezer frozen solid or mushy? Answers to these questions may clue you in as to whether the freezer is working properly.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
July 14th, 2014 at 5:31:20 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Most of the beer drinkers following this thread should have experienced super cooled fluid at some point. This happens when you have a beer that has gotten well below freezing and is still liquid, you open it up and it immediately freezes sometimes so fast that it will even break the bottle.

Mind you this could be a Canadian experience when you have forgotten your beer in the car during the winter.

But beer shouldn't be that cold for drinking! I'm not sure of the specifics, but I remember A-B recommending that Budweiser be about 42 degrees F for optimal flavor. I've also read about other (darker, heavier) beers needing to be closer to 50 degrees F for best flavor. The only time you should be attempting to drink a super cooled beer is if it's a really bad one that you want to kill the flavor of.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 14th, 2014 at 6:23:41 PM permalink
Quote: Toes14

But beer shouldn't be that cold for drinking! I'm not sure of the specifics, but I remember A-B recommending that Budweiser be about 42 degrees F for optimal flavor. I've also read about other (darker, heavier) beers needing to be closer to 50 degrees F for best flavor. The only time you should be attempting to drink a super cooled beer is if it's a really bad one that you want to kill the flavor of.

I'm not a drinker, but I understand Guiness is supposedly served at room temperature...

Could the cooling process have "separated" the impurities in the water, so that the layer the OP drank had a higher concentration of "minerals"; or maybe it was almost pure? Distilled water has an unnatural taste, so much so that bottled waters like Aquafina add minerals back in to make their product palatable.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: