MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 6th, 2014 at 9:44:25 PM permalink
For those (like me) who love to work on cars and trucks, here is a link / map of wrecking yards in Las Vegas.

Now go out and get greasy!

wrecking yards
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 7th, 2014 at 12:34:01 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

For those (like me) who love to work on cars and trucks, here is a map of wrecking yards in Las Vegas. Now go out and get greasy!

Are you suggesting I buy a wrecked car and work on it using this treasure map to find the required replacement parts? Sort of a "fixer upper" type purchase that needs parts to make it run and structural work to make it safe? And then try to sell it in competition with new and used car prices?

Is there really any money in buying a clunker and putting wax on it?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 7th, 2014 at 2:33:51 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Are you suggesting I buy a wrecked car and work on it using this treasure map to find the required replacement parts? Sort of a "fixer upper" type purchase that needs parts to make it run and structural work to make it safe? And then try to sell it in competition with new and used car prices?

Is there really any money in buying a clunker and putting wax on it?

IMO, yes. If you know what you're looking at when you go to someone's house and look at their old car (off of craigslist these days), there are lots of people who don't know what's wrong, and it can be pretty minor. They've made it so easy to just get a lease, or get a base car by simply showing a paycheck, that cars have become nearly disposable. If you can buy a 10 year old car for 5K that cost 25K new, make one 800 repair, and drive it another 5 years just because you knew how to fix it, that's huge value.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 7th, 2014 at 4:09:24 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

If you can buy a 10 year old car for 5K that cost 25K new, make one 800 repair, and drive it another 5 years just because you knew how to fix it, that's huge value.

Alas, unless its putting gasoline in it or changing a fuse, I wouldn't know "value" from a confirmed "clunker".
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 7th, 2014 at 10:56:38 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

For those (like me) who love to work on cars and trucks, here is a link / map of wrecking yards in Las Vegas.

Now go out and get greasy!

wrecking yards

Great topic, MrV, and one dear to my heart. A friend of mine owns a junkyard that was passed down from his father. Yes, we call it a junkyard. No need for a fancy, politically correct term. I've been going there since I was 10 years old and still stop in at least once a week. I learned to drive there at age 12 and we even made our own race course. I may have accomplished a few other "firsts" there as well.

I've owned dozens of classic cars over the years and can't tell you the number of times that hard to find part was sitting right under my nose. I helped this friend when he needed it and the business in now thriving. He has a crusher going all day and makes a nice profit just from the scrap. I have unlimited access to a dealer plate which comes in handy because not all my vehicles are registered. In my state it's actually a repair plate for this type of business.

Talk about license plates. I have hundreds on the walls of my two garages and almost all came from the yard. Every state in the US as well as every province in Canada is represented. Some are very, very old.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 7th, 2014 at 11:24:17 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Great topic, MrV, and one dear to my heart.

Yes, very jealous. All those junkyards, all right there, atmospherically tempered in the dryness of the desert.

Try to find a part for a 25yr old Honda here in the Buffalo region. Usually you'll just find a pile of oil soaked rust to mark where the car used to be before it disintegrated. Instead of making a $20 find, you're almost forced to buy $300 OEM. That's half what I paid for the entire car! ><
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
  • Jump to: