Thread Rating:

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
  • Posts: 8277
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
June 4th, 2014 at 9:52:25 PM permalink
I see in the paper all the time telecommunications harassment being charged or reported to the police. I have no idea where this came from or what exactly it is. I'm guessing text messages gone bad or emails.
I am a robot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 12:17:15 AM permalink
Excessive number, improper wording, or 'cyber bullying' are often involved. "Reported to police" does not mean resulted in an arrest, much less a conviction. Europe has stricter rules than the USA does.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 5:17:11 AM permalink
Random thought of the day:

Why is it that famous people that were fat and are now less fate or skinny just look funny. At first I thought it was because you were so used to seeing them fat and now they are not so it just looks different. However, I don't think that is the case. If you look at side by side of these people they just look un-proportionate. Its like their heads look to small for their bodies. Maybe a fat persons head gets bigger and never goes back to normal?

Examples:
Al Roker
Drew Carey
Graham Elliot
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9625
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 6:11:18 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

The problem with this is that it assumes that you never touch the principle.



That is not the assumption for the 4% rule of thumb, are you talking about something else?

Quote: Tomspur

Let's say you want to retire at 60...How much, in USD, would you guys say is enough?



At 60 you are pretty close to Social Security age and that helps. Between me and my wife, I figure the value of our SS income when we start taking it, making certain assumptions [like: you don't die], to be around $750,000 in the bank. I get that by asking how much would you need in a retirement account to be the equivalent of that income using the 4% rule of thumb. BTW that 4% rule of thumb is for multi-decade retirement, allows for increase in what you draw out, so that it keeps up with inflation, and it also assumes a deep draw from the principle in later decades. Social Sec. income also gives inflation protection.

If young, like 40, and considering early retirement, $1 million IMO is not enough for most people, as that is multi-decade on $40,000 a year first year. $1.5 million is feasible for a modest lifestyle.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 7:08:06 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit


If young, like 40, and considering early retirement, $1 million IMO is not enough for most people, as that is multi-decade on $40,000 a year first year. $1.5 million is feasible for a modest lifestyle.



I have no savings and still have a negative net worth.

Smoking, drinking, eating to excess, racing cars, contact sports and subsequent pain meds, carrying a pistol... I'm too poor to stop doing all this stuff! Taxes get any higher and I'm going to have to get back into playing golf in thunderstorms ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
  • Posts: 4635
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 7:45:54 AM permalink
On my trips to South Point, I usually get a couple of the 75 cent Vienna hot dogs from the cart. So the lady working the cart is wearing the obligatory food service worker, disposable gloves. So she gets your hot dog out of the compartment, puts it on a roll and puts what ever condiments you request on it and then hands it to you. She then collects the money, filthy germ infested money, from you. And then it's on to the next customers hot dog. Lol. It is surprising to me, that customers (always a line), South Point, nor the health inspectors don't see any sort of problem with this.

And I don't mean to pick on South Point, as there are similar hot dog cart operations at other casino's like Gold Coast and El Cortez, to name a few. Any place where there is one worker handling the food and money seems problematic. But, I am heading down there today and looking forward to my hot dog. :)
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
  • Posts: 16832
Joined: May 15, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 7:52:42 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

You either quit smoking or your divorce is final..... :)



LOL

I don't feel like elaborating at the moment, but swing and a miss, strikes one and two. July for the latter, by the way.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 7:58:18 AM permalink
Spiders. Maybe Australians get a slight pass, but why in the blue hell are so many people, or anyone, really, afraid of these things?

When’s the last time you were attacked by a spider? When was the first time? I bet there wasn’t one. When have you just been going about your day and had a spider light upon you and sink his fangs in? Never!

I can understand not liking them. I can understand not wanting them in your house. But to see grown folk losing their minds because they glimpse one, or get pee-pants upset when one touches them, boggles my mind. You’re a grown ass adult!

I see a daddy long legs or a wolf spider where it’s not supposed to be, I cup my hand over it, it latches on, and I take it outside. Spiders moved – over 9,000! Times bit – 0.

Snakes, bats, frogs… if you have an irrational fear of these, I can’t help but judge you. At least until someone explains it in a way I can understand.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 8:17:13 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Spiders. Maybe Australians get a slight pass, but why in the blue hell are so many people, or anyone, really, afraid of these things?



Apperently you missed this: http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/401/9/#post13691

Quote:

When’s the last time you were attacked by a spider?



1978. I haven't let my guard down since then.

Quote:

Snakes, bats, frogs… if you have an irrational fear of these, I can’t help but judge you.



I've a rational fear of them. Not bats, though. They're mammals and harmless unless you do something stupid to get them to bite (they commonly carry rabies). I understand mammals. Frogs are slimy and unpredictable, not to mention they have freakishly strong legs. Snakes are simply disgusting, and the poisonous ones can kill an adult human. Besides, you don't know when they'll see you as a threat, because you probably won't even see them until they strike (in self defense in what passes for their minds, too).
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 8:40:34 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed


1978. I haven't let my guard down since then.



I might be able to give you a pass based on nationality, same as Australians. But I'm not familiar with them and would have to know the details behind the "attack". My southeast coast friends who step on a widow in their shoe were not "attacked", for example.



Quote: Nareed

I've a rational fear of them. Not bats, though. They're mammals and harmless unless you do something stupid to get them to bite (they commonly carry rabies). I understand mammals. Frogs are slimy and unpredictable, not to mention they have freakishly strong legs. Snakes are simply disgusting, and the poisonous ones can kill an adult human. Besides, you don't know when they'll see you as a threat, because you probably won't even see them until they strike (in self defense in what passes for their minds, too).



See, this is what I mean. Ain't no one ever been attacked by a frog. I've been bitten by a frog before because I grabbed it. They don't have teeth. It feels like a wet clothespin with a very weak spring. 0 damage. As long as you're not chewing on toads, or licking the bright blue and orange ones at the zoo, you've nothing to fear.

Snakes, while occasionally dangerous, don't often attack either. Yeah, step on one and you'll get bit. But you're not scared of those snakes because you don't see them. If you see it, you don't step on it and therefore you are in no danger. It's just there, being a snake. Stand there and watch it and nothing happens.

Bats, snakes, spiders, all these things can cause damage when you mess with them. I can understand having worry when putting on shoes in the south or moving dead logs in the east or turning over rocks in the south west. I get that concern. But if you just see one, and your hand or foot is not immediately upon it, why the direct and immediate need to scream, pee, and then try to smash it?

6’, 220lbs, and damn near gave himself mental retardation from repeated self inflicted punches to his own head because he walked into a spider web. And the poor weaver that only served to keep all the mosquitoes and gnats and no-see-ums and deer flies away from your porch and out of your bloodstream gets mercilessly hunted down and squashed.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 9:02:02 AM permalink
Quote: Face

I might be able to give you a pass based on nationality, same as Australians.



Oh, the irony!

Quote:

But I'm not familiar with them and would have to know the details behind the "attack". My southeast coast friends who step on a widow in their shoe were not "attacked", for example.



Houston, Texas, late December 1978. A spider crawled into my bed at the hotel and bit me on the thigh while I was asleep. I got a very swollen, very red, very big bump with two tiny holes in the center. It hurt a bit, itched like crazy and was very uncomfortable.

Quote:

Snakes, while occasionally dangerous, don't often attack either. Yeah, step on one and you'll get bit. But you're not scared of those snakes because you don't see them. If you see it, you don't step on it and therefore you are in no danger.



Who knows what will set a snake off? I just stay away from them and any palces they may be found.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 9:21:40 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Oh, the irony!



I guess I'm missing something. I'm assuming Mexico has stuff I'm not intimately familiar with, same as the Aussie's "spiders big enough to eat small dogs".

Quote: Nareed

Houston, Texas, late December 1978. A spider crawled into my bed at the hotel and bit me on the thigh while I was asleep. I got a very swollen, very red, very big bump with two tiny holes in the center. It hurt a bit, itched like crazy and was very uncomfortable.



But see? This gives reason to dislike spiders. To avoid spiders. To want nothing to do with them. But you weren't "attacked". A spider took advantage of you. I've been bit by spiders like this, too. I'd be willing to bet everyone has. I'd also be willing to be that 99.6% of people who've been bit have only been bit in this fashion. So why the screetching and screaming and pee pants when you see one? The one you see is not gonna chase you and git you =)

Quote: Nareed


Who knows what will set a snake off? I just stay away from them and any palces they may be found.



That makes sense. I don't judge avoidance. But when one randomly happens upon your porch some 10'+ from where you're standing and you have a complete mental breakdown, I have to wonder about you. Not liking it and wanting it off your porch = normal. Shrieking, turning white, and literally peeing your pants = looney toons.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9625
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 9:23:21 AM permalink
One funny thing is, in the US anyway, a spider that weaves a web is harmless. The black widow makes a silken lair, not a web, I think, in any case not something you would walk into.

This fall I got bit by a spider that was in a web I walked into. It fell into my shirt and reacted to the situation I guess. The bite failed to raise a bump or anything and kind of itched for a minute is all. I have also been bit in bed, but, you know, a lot of different bugs could have done it.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 9:40:24 AM permalink
Quote: Face

I guess I'm missing something. I'm assuming Mexico has stuff I'm not intimately familiar with, same as the Aussie's "spiders big enough to eat small dogs".



I live in a modern city. Insects are no more or less common than at other big cities with a similar climate. And the spider bit me in the US, not Mexico.

Quote:

So why the screetching and screaming and pee pants when you see one?



I don't do any of that. i just panic and either get someone else to kill it, or grab a long broom and deal with it myself.

I woulnd't say I'm scared, eihter. I just panic when I see most insects. But 9 times out of ten that doens't stop me from exterminating them quickly.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:16:02 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

That is not the assumption for the 4% rule of thumb, are you talking about something else?



It is -- it assumes that you want the money to last forever. The idea is that the money will grow at 4% + inflation, so every year you can withdraw 4% and be left with an inflation-adjusted total that is the same as you started with.

Whether the money actually grows at 4% + inflation is another matter.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 10:17:43 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

It is -- it assumes that you want the money to last forever. The idea is that the money will grow at 4% + inflation, so every year you can withdraw 4% and be left with an inflation-adjusted total that is the same as you started with.

Whether the money actually grows at 4% + inflation is another matter.



That makes no sense to me. Why would I care that the money lasts forever? I just need the money to last from 65-100.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 998
Joined: Aug 7, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 10:24:09 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

That makes no sense to me. Why would I care that the money lasts forever? I just need the money to last from 65-100.



Because 35 years is a long time to try to calculate how much money you need. If you "ensure" you won't run out ever, then it doesn't matter how old you live to be.

Also, you might want to pass on the money to your children when you die, rather than spending all of it.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:24:10 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

On my trips to South Point, I usually get a couple of the 75 cent Vienna hot dogs from the cart. So the lady working the cart is wearing the obligatory food service worker, disposable gloves. So she gets your hot dog out of the compartment, puts it on a roll and puts what ever condiments you request on it and then hands it to you. She then collects the money, filthy germ infested money, from you. And then it's on to the next customers hot dog. Lol. It is surprising to me, that customers (always a line), South Point, nor the health inspectors don't see any sort of problem with this.

And I don't mean to pick on South Point, as there are similar hot dog cart operations at other casino's like Gold Coast and El Cortez, to name a few. Any place where there is one worker handling the food and money seems problematic. But, I am heading down there today and looking forward to my hot dog. :)


I've seen this before. I've also seen the lone food service worker in a restaurant do it the "right" way and remove the gloves while handling the money, then put on a fresh pair before handling the next customer's food.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:24:41 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

LOL

I don't feel like elaborating at the moment, but swing and a miss, strikes one and two. July for the latter, by the way.


I would guess some sexual congress, but I think you said you would be abstaining from that until the divorce is final.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:38:09 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Based on some of the conversations between Axiom and Aces, how much money do you think an average person needs to have saved in both their savings and 401k's to be able to retire comfortably?
I know these things are very fluid and based on lifestyle choices and the like. I was just wondering, what is the average?

Let's say you want to retire at 60, you own your home and 2 cars. You take one or two vacations a year and you and your partner have hobbies....

How much, in USD, would you guys say is enough?


Well, first off, why do you need 2 cars in retirement? No jobs to drive to. You should need 1 car maximum.

The 4% rule/25x annual expenses has already been mentioned. It's a pretty good rule of thumb. Personally I'm not planning for social security to provide anything by the time I'm eligible. If it does, great! That will just supplement my gambling money :).

I've mentioned Mr. Money Mustache before. It's a great blog/community/fake religion/lifestyle. All about spending less money, saving more, and retiring earlier. There's no reason the vast majority of middle class Americans need to work until 60 or 65, but to decrease that number you have to start cutting out expenses. Cable TV, brand new gas guzzling cars used for ridiculous commutes, expensive restaurant meals multiple times per week...these are some of the top offenders MMM will advise you to cut out. It's not for everyone. I'm not an extreme MMM adherent, although my biggest transgression against the God of Frugality is alcohol, which I'm not willing to give up :).

Anyway, here is MMM's post on "how much do I need to retire?" wherein he also arrives at the 4% rule.

Join the cult of Mustachianism! Here is a good intro post.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11906
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:48:20 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Well, first off, why do you need 2 cars in retirement? No jobs to drive to. You should need 1 car maximum.



I disagree. if married I can't imagine having only one car unless you are both very sedimentary. I plan to be very active in retirement.

My parents were fortunate and retired at 45 and for the last 35 years they are involved in so many activities it astounds me. They each attend at least four functions a week. Sadly, now a lot of the functions are funerals and they do tend to go to those together.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:52:00 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I disagree. if married I can't imagine having only one car unless you are both very sedimentary. I plan to be very active in retirement.

My parents were fortunate and retired at 45 and for the last 35 years they are involved in so many activities it astounds me. They each attend at least four functions a week. Sadly, now a lot of the functions are funerals and they do tend to go to those together.


Active life = ride your bike!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11906
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 10:53:49 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Active life = ride your bike!



Can I buy some carbon credits from you?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 10:56:09 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I disagree. if married I can't imagine having only one car unless you are both very sedimentary.



I have to wonder how sedentary must one be to wind up covered in sediments ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 998
Joined: Aug 7, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 11:06:20 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Can I buy some carbon credits from you?


What's the going rate? I've got plenty to sell
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 11:24:54 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

That makes no sense to me. Why would I care that the money lasts forever? I just need the money to last from 65-100.



Yes, that's my point exactly. That's why I feel that the rule is overly-conservative.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 11:37:16 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I've mentioned Mr. Money Mustache before. It's a great blog/community/fake religion/lifestyle. All about spending less money, saving more, and retiring earlier. There's no reason the vast majority of middle class Americans need to work until 60 or 65, but to decrease that number you have to start cutting out expenses. Cable TV, brand new gas guzzling cars used for ridiculous commutes, expensive restaurant meals multiple times per week...these are some of the top offenders MMM will advise you to cut out. It's not for everyone. I'm not an extreme MMM adherent, although my biggest transgression against the God of Frugality is alcohol, which I'm not willing to give up :).



I think that this advice can be taken too far, especially if you work in a field where your income goes up significantly as you gain more experience (as you do, IIRC). I think you mentioned elsewhere that you were a software engineer. It's not unreasonable to expect your compensation to double every 5-7 years. This leads to an interesting problem -- you sacrifice and scrimp and save now to save what seems like a lot of money, only to find out, in a few years, that all that money that you saved over several years is now what you save in just a few months. It no longer seems like such a large amount of money. So, was it really worth it to deprive yourself for all those years?
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
June 5th, 2014 at 11:47:55 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

On my trips to South Point, I usually get a couple of the 75 cent Vienna hot dogs from the cart. So the lady working the cart is wearing the obligatory food service worker, disposable gloves. So she gets your hot dog out of the compartment, puts it on a roll and puts what ever condiments you request on it and then hands it to you. She then collects the money, filthy germ infested money, from you. And then it's on to the next customers hot dog. Lol. It is surprising to me, that customers (always a line), South Point, nor the health inspectors don't see any sort of problem with this.

And I don't mean to pick on South Point, as there are similar hot dog cart operations at other casino's like Gold Coast and El Cortez, to name a few. Any place where there is one worker handling the food and money seems problematic. But, I am heading down there today and looking forward to my hot dog. :)



Don't forget the buffet. The omelet makers get tips, grab them immediately and then handle food.

This one doesn't involve the handling of money but is probably even worse. How about people in the buffet lines eating from their overstuffed plates, licking their fingers and then using the serving utensils that everyone else has to use? Look for it the next time you partake. I guarantee it will take only a few minutes to spot an offender. Once you do the buffet will never be the same as you won't be able to stop yourself from looking for this disgusting behavior.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 998
Joined: Aug 7, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 11:49:45 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Don't forget the buffet. The omelet makers get tips, grab them immediately and then handle food.

This one doesn't involve the handling of money but is probably even worse. How about people in the buffet lines eating from their overstuffed plates, licking their fingers and then using the serving utensils that everyone else has to use? Look for it the next time you partake. I guarantee it will take only a few minutes to spot an offender. Once you do the buffet will never be the same as you won't be able to stop yourself from looking for this disgusting behavior.



How long before buffets have the sanitizing wipes you see at the grocery store for wiping down your shopping cart?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3360
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 12:31:43 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Spiders. Maybe Australians get a slight pass, but why in the blue hell are so many people, or anyone, really, afraid of these things?

When’s the last time you were attacked by a spider? When was the first time? I bet there wasn’t one. When have you just been going about your day and had a spider light upon you and sink his fangs in? Never!

I can understand not liking them. I can understand not wanting them in your house. But to see grown folk losing their minds because they glimpse one, or get pee-pants upset when one touches them, boggles my mind. You’re a grown ass adult!

I see a daddy long legs or a wolf spider where it’s not supposed to be, I cup my hand over it, it latches on, and I take it outside. Spiders moved – over 9,000! Times bit – 0.

Snakes, bats, frogs… if you have an irrational fear of these, I can’t help but judge you. At least until someone explains it in a way I can understand.




Face, me thinks you just have some really wimpy spiders and snakes. J/K One need not fear them to have a great deal of respect.

We could really use a guy like you down here to take point on our trail hikes.

Interesting anecdote. I read that because of so many rattlesnake round-ups down here the rattlers [look it up, in Texas] have learned not to rattle before striking. What is so surprising to the researchers is that they learned that behaviour in one generation.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9625
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 12:32:03 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

So, was it really worth it to deprive yourself for all those years?



according to this article and others like it, the answer is 'yes'

http://vanguardblog.com/2014/05/19/my-one-piece-of-investing-advice/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 12:35:36 PM permalink
Retirement is really a lifestyle choice, most want to be able to spend money. Consider many cruises. The Alaskan Inside Passage cruise often has people who spend ten grand in each port. I don't know what they do with all that junk when they get home but they buy it.

Some men retire but still expect a freshly laundered shirt each day which is not the wife's idea of retirement.

Some men really don't know what to do with themselves after retirement and just become vegetables.

Some people move others stay put. Some sail off to New Zealand some buy a boat and get as far as the Marina Bar.

Some go to a retirement community in Honduras or Guatemala and find a house, a boat and a "full service" maid are all available to them on a social security check, others find they have to forgo the maid but get to drink cold beer all day and night with carefree abandon.

And some have to get jobs at Walmart or doing yard work or supplement their income with some trips to the forest for out of season venison.

you can't plan with precision so the 'cushion' has to be a pretty fat one.


After a headline making murder case or child abduction case, many senior police have so much overtime pay that they have to retire soon or else work 20 years just to get a pension that will match what they get if they retire immediately after the major case.

Some people leave careers and become brew masters often making more as a pub owner than they had before they retired. Some turn their passion to brewing beer but find their customers stick to Budweiser.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 12:36:36 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

according to this article and others like it, the answer is 'yes'

http://vanguardblog.com/2014/05/19/my-one-piece-of-investing-advice/



That article does not address what I was talking about.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 1:40:59 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I think that this advice can be taken too far, especially if you work in a field where your income goes up significantly as you gain more experience (as you do, IIRC). I think you mentioned elsewhere that you were a software engineer. It's not unreasonable to expect your compensation to double every 5-7 years. This leads to an interesting problem -- you sacrifice and scrimp and save now to save what seems like a lot of money, only to find out, in a few years, that all that money that you saved over several years is now what you save in just a few months. It no longer seems like such a large amount of money. So, was it really worth it to deprive yourself for all those years?


Yes, it was, because that saved money is still in my 'stash and will still contribute to my early retirement! I understand your point...I could have not skimped and saved early in my career, established a reasonable baseline of spending, and retired only incrementally later based on future earnings being much higher. But, I am by all accounts a slacker, and don't work very hard at my job (trying to change this, but it's tough for me). I've been out of college for 8 years now, and I took a total of almost 2 years (20 months) off in the middle of that. My salary now is roughly 46% higher than my new-hire salary, and it's actually probably worse than that because my first employer granted some stock rewards that became quite generous when our stock price exploded.

Anyway. Establishing a low baseline for spending is doubly important because that number affects not only how much you are saving, but how much money you need before you stop working. So it's still worth it to me to "scrimp and save and sacrifice" because it's not really sacrificing all that much, to me. I ride my bike to work, I rarely drive anywhere (mostly just for camping trips), I eat most of my meals at home with my wife-elect (who is a great cook). Don't watch cable. Have a cheap $10/month phone. Don't buy a lot of gadgets. Etc etc.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 1:47:21 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

according to this article and others like it, the answer is 'yes'

http://vanguardblog.com/2014/05/19/my-one-piece-of-investing-advice/


Yes, that too. Vanguard is a great company.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
June 5th, 2014 at 2:34:32 PM permalink
The last 1/2 dozen pages of this thread made me feel like a pinball bouncing between bumpers of conversation. However, it sort of was started with that intent, I think. Shall I split off the several conversations or leave it be? Weigh in with your preferences.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 2:40:43 PM permalink
I think that's kind of the point of this thread?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9625
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 2:45:52 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I think that's kind of the point of this thread?



so far the threads are dying on their own OK, or changing enough, just to be left in I think
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 2:53:23 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The last 1/2 dozen pages of this thread made me feel like a pinball bouncing between bumpers of conversation. However, it sort of was started with that intent, I think. Shall I split off the several conversations or leave it be? Weigh in with your preferences.


Leave it be.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
  • Posts: 8158
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 3:00:33 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

On my trips to South Point, I usually get a couple of the 75 cent Vienna hot dogs from the cart. So the lady working the cart is wearing the obligatory food service worker, disposable gloves. So she gets your hot dog out of the compartment, puts it on a roll and puts what ever condiments you request on it and then hands it to you. She then collects the money, filthy germ infested money, from you. And then it's on to the next customers hot dog. Lol. It is surprising to me, that customers (always a line), South Point, nor the health inspectors don't see any sort of problem with this.

And I don't mean to pick on South Point, as there are similar hot dog cart operations at other casino's like Gold Coast and El Cortez, to name a few. Any place where there is one worker handling the food and money seems problematic. But, I am heading down there today and looking forward to my hot dog. :)



Reading this brought vividly to mind the image of one of my favorite characters, Ignatius Reilly, the protagonist in "A Confederacy of Dunces."

What a freakin' classic of modern American lit.
"What, me worry?"
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
June 5th, 2014 at 3:11:49 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The last 1/2 dozen pages of this thread made me feel like a pinball bouncing between bumpers of conversation. However, it sort of was started with that intent, I think. Shall I split off the several conversations or leave it be? Weigh in with your preferences.



Please leave it and all threads. Let them run their course, it's worked in the past.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 3:32:01 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph


Face, me thinks you just have some really wimpy spiders and snakes. J/K One need not fear them to have a great deal of respect.

We could really use a guy like you down here to take point on our trail hikes.

Interesting anecdote. I read that because of so many rattlesnake round-ups down here the rattlers [look it up, in Texas] have learned not to rattle before striking. What is so surprising to the researchers is that they learned that behaviour in one generation.



I think that's part of my incredulity. If we are very lucky, we might get an eastern diamondback sighting on the PA border. Other than that, there's not a single aforementioned critter that will give you a bad day. Our biggest snakes, the Lake Erie Water and Rat, max out at 6'. I've been bitten by both, both when trying to catch them. A playful kitten is a thousand times more painful. Maybe even ten thousand. But I've never once been bit by one I wasn't messing with.

Spiders? We have a few that might get the size of a silver dollar. But not a single one "attacks". Not a single one is deadly. They're either weavers, which make epic and beautiful webs near outdoor lights and snatch up all the pests, or wolf, which live mostly under rocks and actively jump upon bugs. I haven't ever caught a wolf or fishing spider (the big ones) because they're fast as the dickens. But any other spider I've found where it wasn't supposed to be I scoop up and take outside. I ain't never been bit one single, solitary time.

It's not the fear or respect I find curious. It's the near psychotic breakdown some experience at the mere glimpse of one.

Of course, I just hand caught a sea lamprey last Sunday, so maybe I'm too far the other side of the bell curve to ever understand =p



The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 4:03:58 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Of course, I just hand caught a sea lamprey last Sunday, so maybe I'm too far the other side of the bell curve to ever understand =p



Maybe you need to outgrow your childhood already? ;)

Oh, my reaction isn't so much fear as extreme, and I mean extremely extreme, revulsion. I don't react that way to dangerous mammals, like for example bears or lions. Not that I've ever met any in the wild, but I can't even look at spiders safely contained behind glass.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
  • Posts: 8158
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 4:15:47 PM permalink
I remember I sent my son off to an Adventure Camp, one of those places where they teach you survival skills.

When he came home he demonstrated a newly acquired survival skill: he ate quite a few ants, saying they were a good source of vitamin C.

Yummy.
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
June 5th, 2014 at 4:41:46 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

When he came home he demonstrated a newly acquired survival skill: he ate quite a few ants, saying they were a good source of vitamin C.

What age was this?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 5:22:44 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Maybe you need to outgrow your childhood already? ;)



Why would anyone do that? =D For what it's worth, I'm like this with everything. I've always had a fondness and curiosity about natural things. You'd be just as likely to find me poking around an ivy or a fungus, or cracking open rocks to see how they've formed, as you are to see me chasing snakes and turtles.

Quote: Nareed

Oh, my reaction isn't so much fear as extreme, and I mean extremely extreme, revulsion. I don't react that way to dangerous mammals, like for example bears or lions. Not that I've ever met any in the wild, but I can't even look at spiders safely contained behind glass.



It was partly the lamprey, partly the post you linked from DT that got me thinking about it. That lamprey might have been the first time I've felt that revulsion. I had a strong reaction dealing with it. I mean, I won't think twice about harvesting maggots out of the garbage to feed the fish in my pond. I actually look forward to it as it's far easier to shake out a garbage can for 15 seconds than it is to dig around in the dirt for an hour looking for worms and grubs. I see a snake, I get excited. 20lb snapping turtle, all I can think about is catching it.

But when I lifted that rock and saw that lamprey, my blood went absolutely frigid. In the 10 or so minutes I spent dealing with it, I kept flip flopping back and forth between being incredibly enthralled and curious, to down right mortified by even the sight of it. Knowing my background and habits, I can only chalk that up to ignorance, as it's not everyday you see one (that was actually the first adult I'd ever seen). But something like a spider you see almost everyday. You have days and weeks and months of contact with no repercussion, no reason to fear. Yet you do.

Like your claim that you "panic" and are "revolted" by the mere sight. Just the sight of one. That interests me, because I don't understand it at all. My Pops is terrified of snakes, but he was bitten by a water moccasin in the 70's and almost died. That I get. But panicking because you once got an itchy but painless bite 30+ years ago? Does not compute =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
June 5th, 2014 at 6:27:49 PM permalink
Quote: face

. You'd be just as likely to find me poking around an ivy or a fungus, or cracking open rocks to see how they've formed, as you are to see me chasing snakes and turtles.



You chase turtles!?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22294
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
June 5th, 2014 at 6:41:29 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Quote: face

. You'd be just as likely to find me poking around an ivy or a fungus, or cracking open rocks to see how they've formed, as you are to see me chasing snakes and turtles.



You chase turtles!?

LMFAO
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 6:43:29 PM permalink
Quote: RS

You chase turtles!?



They're quick in the water. Just caught this one Tuesday.



I'm determined to catch one of those 20lb snappers. I saw one in May but it was too cold to get in the water and I missed it trying to catch it from kayak.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
June 5th, 2014 at 6:51:48 PM permalink


Not sure what Amazon is trying to sell here, but Failblog has pointed out that it appears that these folks have just discovered their genitals...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
  • Jump to: