Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1360
June 4th, 2014 at 3:11:26 PM permalink
Is it just me or does anything else think that we're all suckers to use dishwashers?

Here are the reasons I think dishwashers are a scam.

1. If you want clean dishes in the end, you have to pre-clean (or what we called "jump" at camp) the dishes before putting them in.
  2. Trying to fit everything in efficiently becomes a three-dimensional geometry puzzle.
  3. There is an additional fuss unloading the dishwasher.
  4. Sometimes you're not sure if the dishes in the machine are dirty or clean and waiting to be removed.
  5. The cost of electricity to run the machine.

As long as you're pre-cleaing the dishes anyway, you may as well take the extra minutes and just fully clean them.

Don't tell me that some washers don't require pre-cleaning. I'll believe that when I see it with my own eyes.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 4th, 2014 at 3:24:06 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As long as you're pre-cleaing the dishes anyway, you may as well take the extra minutes and just fully clean them.

Try it. Take one week where you do all the dishes in your house. All of them, not just the ones you use. All the pots and pans, too, mixing bowls, cutting boards, all the cutlery, all cooking utensils, etc.

The next week you use the dishwasher.

Then come back and explain which was better for you.

In my dreams, after I'm done cooking the dishes, pots, pans, etc clean themselves :)

I don't use a dishwasher because I just don't use up that many dishes, pans, pots, etc. But I passionately dislike the wash afterwards. If I can put it off I do.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
June 4th, 2014 at 3:30:30 PM permalink
Order delivery. Use no dishes. Problem solved.

I am the ultimate bachelor.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 4th, 2014 at 3:55:17 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Order delivery. Use no dishes. Problem solved.

I am the ultimate bachelor.

I used to use plastic plates and utensils. Toss it after I'm done. No cleanup required. Now I just eat out everyday.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
June 4th, 2014 at 4:07:54 PM permalink
inside of a dishwasher video. it really doesnt look like it does much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjcyUjXwH_4
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
June 4th, 2014 at 4:23:25 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

inside of a dishwasher video. it really doesnt look like it does much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjcyUjXwH_4

It sprays detergent and hot water and stuff. What did you think it did?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1360
June 4th, 2014 at 4:28:21 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

It sprays detergent and hot water and stuff. What did you think it did?

Personally, I thought gremlins got in there an cleaned the dishes.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 4th, 2014 at 4:34:19 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Try it. Take one week where you do all the dishes in your house. All of them, not just the ones you use. All the pots and pans, too, mixing bowls, cutting boards, all the cutlery, all cooking utensils, etc.

The next week you use the dishwasher.

Then come back and explain which was better for you.

In my dreams, after I'm done cooking the dishes, pots, pans, etc clean themselves :)

I don't use a dishwasher because I just don't use up that many dishes, pans, pots, etc. But I passionately dislike the wash afterwards. If I can put it off I do.

We thought about buying a dishwasher but after the cost analysis it did not make sense.

I do most of the cooking in our house. When I start cooking I fill up the sink with super hot water. As I cook and are done with a utensil or dish I put it into the hot water and when I have a second between things I wash the dirtied ones. After I get the food served I let the big items soak while we eat and when we are done I finish them up. Really by doing it in small increments it is not that bad of a job. The only problem I find is when the strainer gets filled.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 4th, 2014 at 4:34:58 PM permalink

Personally, I thought gremlins got in there an cleaned the dishes.

Don't you know what happens to Gremlins who get wet?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
June 4th, 2014 at 4:36:44 PM permalink

Is it just me or does anything else think that we're all suckers to use dishwashers?
Don't tell me that some washers don't require pre-cleaning. I'll believe that when I see it with my own eyes.

We wash our dishes by hand, and everyone gets to wash their own. We must do this because we have 6 kids in the house and we would need to run a few loads a day, often having a large pile of dishes waiting for the machine to free up. The problem is that my 16 year old daughter doesn't think it's important to wash the bottom of a plate or the handle of a fork. Often, I need to call kids back to have them re-wash dishes. Ideally, we should have an industrial washer with a 90 second cycle.

As for pre-washing dishes, I think it is beneficial to pre-wash for any machine if only to extend the life of the machine.
I heart Crystal Math.

• Jump to: