RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 5th, 2014 at 4:51:59 AM permalink
"The resignation of Mozilla's CEO amid outrage that he supported an anti-gay marriage campaign is prompting concerns about how Silicon Valley's strongly liberal culture might quash the very openness that is at the region's foundation."

"Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech," Baker said. "Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/04/mozilla-ceo-resignation-free-speech/7328759/

He gave $1,000 to a campaign against allowing gay marriage. A long time ago--at a time close to when our President said he was against gay marriage!

It would be easy to dismiss this as a "corporate decision" but liberals have always accused conservatives of using that as an excuse, so turnaround is fair play.

To me, it is interesting that "openness" is okay when it is related to some things but it isn't okay to oppose something that the people who believe in said "openness" are for. This isn't a "gay marriage" thread--this thread is more about how aggressive activism influences decisions and whether or not it is a good thing.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
April 5th, 2014 at 5:26:43 AM permalink
I have said it many times, homosexuals demand tolerance but have none. Chick-Fil-A was an example, this is another example.

This has been going on for years. Started on college campuses, at first they banned a few words. Over time they banned thought. Over more time it became that not only that you could not speak your own thoughts but you had to be a cheerleader for the "correct" thoughts.

To be fair it is not just the homophile agenda. If you do not buy the global-warming hoax you are out. If you are not for gun control you are out. If you are not pro-abortion you are out. It self-replicates itself. People who do not hold these views are either never promoted, outright fired as is the case here, or look around and decide they cannot work and live around all this and leave.

Get an owner who is activist the other way and they are treated like, well just look at Koch Industries and how they are treated.

I wonder how their support for Mrs. Bill Clinton will be during her campaign since she "was there" when DOMA was signed?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
April 5th, 2014 at 6:19:01 AM permalink
My favorite was the gay activists that said that anyone that supported views they didn't agree with needed to be "purged". Is this Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia or what?

FREE SPEECH FOR ONLY THOSE PEOPLE THAT AGREE WITH ME. This is tolerance and fairness in their minds.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
April 5th, 2014 at 6:38:05 AM permalink
AZD, when was the last time you were on a college campus?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 7:16:22 AM permalink
Quote: endermike

AZD, when was the last time you were on a college campus?

If you want to include the welding class I just had it would be about 3 weeks ago, why do you ask?
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
April 5th, 2014 at 7:34:04 AM permalink
Simple answer....YES, it has gone too far.
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
April 5th, 2014 at 7:51:26 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If you want to include the welding class I just had it would be about 3 weeks ago, why do you ask?

Your posts smack of a strong anti-intellectual vibe. Since you have said before that you trust your on experiences over other sources I was hoping I could suggest that you are just getting a bit unlucky in you experiences.

I can tell you there is a strong left leaning on many college/university campuses, however the idea that no conservative speech is allowed is simply false. The speech isn't popular on many campuses (but neither is Andrew Sullivan at a Southern Baptist convention), but that does not mean it is not allowed or listened to.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
April 5th, 2014 at 8:08:20 AM permalink

Your posts smack of a strong anti-intellectual vibe. Since you have said before that you trust your on experiences over other sources I was hoping I could suggest that you are just getting a bit unlucky in you experiences.

I can tell you there is a strong left leaning on many college/university campuses, however the idea that no conservative speech is allowed is simply false. The speech isn't popular on many campuses (but neither is Andrew Sullivan at a Southern Baptist convention), but that does not mean it is not allowed or listened to.

Yeah I went to Davis for my undergrad degree and we are a very liberal university yet there were plenty of street preachers and other vile people who came to university campus. Right now I am in UF and you have plenty of disturbing pro-life posters with protesters along with a few other conservative people talking and totally allowed. Yeah most people think they are total idiots and avoid them in any way possible but there is no banning of the.

Again with this case though the former CEO of Mozilla he is completely free to say whatever he wants but that does not mean a multimillion dollar corporation has to have him as CEO. A company does a cost benefit analyze and when they did they found that it wasn't worth keeping him as CEO because he would potentially cost more business than his acumen could make up for.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 5th, 2014 at 8:16:03 AM permalink

Show me a person who trusts "other sources over their own experiences" and I will show you a non-thinking person who is easily played.

No obviously, it is not that there is "no conservative speech allowed on college campuses." But on most the left tries in every way possible. Look at what happens when a conservative comes to speak, they are sometimes even physically attacked. Try to get funds for a group that has a charter of traditional marriage and family values and see what happens. Heck, Christian groups have been told to admit atheists of be booted off campus and no recognition from the school!

Not every left-wing professor I had squelched speech in their classroom. In fact the farthest left one I ever had, and you had to see this guy to believe him, was quite the opposite. I still remember the day he came in and said he had a quote for discussion. I don't remember the issue, but he points right at me and said, "I want to hear from *you* first." (emphasis his.) I think he enjoyed someone stirring up the class and I know he didn't like yes-men who agreed with him for a grade. But he is not the norm, like I said you had to see him to believe him. If you saw him on the street you would offer him a bowl of soup.

Critical thinkers know hot to tell the difference of when something or someone says "all" if it means "literally all," "almost always" or "generally speaking all." As this board if generally intelligent, critical thinkers I should think all will understand what I am trying to convey.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 5th, 2014 at 8:29:00 AM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Again with this case though the former CEO of Mozilla he is completely free to say whatever he wants but that does not mean a multimillion dollar corporation has to have him as CEO. A company does a cost benefit analyze and when they did they found that it wasn't worth keeping him as CEO because he would potentially cost more business than his acumen could make up for.

I doubt that Mozilla did a cost benefit analysis at all. They reacted to actions taken by a group of radical protesters--people who want people to lose things because they oppose their position. Instead of just saying that his position was not the position of the corporation, they went overboard. They have the right to do so; it is clearly a huge overreaction to a donation from long ago.

Will it be okay for these same people type of people to go after you or me because we have differing opinions? That is a chilling thought--it is the thought police--that both sides should fight against. This group got the names and addresses of those who opposed their position. Using that information to attack and individual is clearly going too far. You can't have free speech if you allow it to be stifled so easily. I suspect that it is okay for many in this instance but, were the shoe on the other foot, they'd be squealing louder than a stuck pig!!

• Jump to: