MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 22nd, 2014 at 1:47:22 PM permalink
Quote: Face

And sweet, gentle Canada probably has more than all of them combined. No real enemy, no real hate directed their way. No civil unrest, no insane governmental corruption.

If your heaven exists, then we'll see. We'll pull up a cloud and watch for a millennium or two. I'll bet you whatever passes for currency up there that Canada will become one of the most important regions in the world within 1,000 years ;)

If the rate of energy consumption increases as it is expected to, the Earth will run out of stored hydrocarbons long before 1000 years is up. We'll need to figure out fusion or extraterrestrial solar harvesting first, and neither of those particularly relies upon Canada's geography.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
February 22nd, 2014 at 10:38:05 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Not very comfortably. That was kind of the point of his self-imposed solitary the rest of his life; he'd killed too many, seen too much. He was a very, very good shot as a prairie man of 18 when he entered the war. The British had over 35% casualties (over 2 million); Germany 64% ; Russia, France, and Romania lost over 70%. Austria-Hungary over 90%. It was truly a terrible, terrible war, especially the proliferation of mustard gas. 8.5 million killed, 21.1 wounded, 7.8 million missing or imprisoned. We hear so much about WWII history from this side of both wars, but WWI was just appalling.

I was born when he was about 60. He was a lean, handsome, quiet person with a dry wit and a lot of undemonstrative love for us. He took us downstairs a few times to allow us to play in his storage trunk, where he had a German pith helmet, sword, a bunch of medals, and some other things. He played cribbage with me until he went blind. Otherwise a very stern and cold man, but he loved my grandmother so much, that when she died of congestive heart failure, he refused to live without her, and was gone in less than 4 months with no health issues beyond a broken heart.

My ex-husband was a Vietnam Vet. He earned the Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars, the Order of Vietnam, 3 Purple Hearts, and 16 Air Combat medals, among others. And he was a changed man as well, who does not live with himself very well. The story of how he earned his Silver Star is ghastly, and he has nightmares about it still. He's killed too many and seen too much as well. He's made himself a total expert on the history of 20th century conflicts, perhaps seeking answers of his own.

I don't know how any thinking person can not be profoundly affected by being ordered to kill or be killed.

Thanks for sharing these posts, Babs.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
February 22nd, 2014 at 10:50:53 PM permalink
people up here hate it when i say, we are really just the 51st state....but it is so true.
get second you pig
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 22nd, 2014 at 11:40:45 PM permalink

Made me laugh, the reference to skis on the car in July. As a junior counselor in the Whiteshell PP in 1974, we had exACTly that experience while hiking along the highway in 100 degree weather in July. 4 Americans stopped their car to ask "which way to the snow?". Hysterical and embarassing; I heard about it the rest of the summer.

My Canadian grandfather was a sniper in WWI. It changed him, made him a reflective loner. So he became an explorer/surveyor/cartographer for the Hudson's Bay Company, and was away for months at a time, the first white man to see parts of Canada in many cases, mapping Nunavut above the Arctic Circle and along the northwestern edge of Hudson's Bay. He had an Indian guide he traveled with, and they lived mostly off the land for water and game with a lot of dried foods packed in. Awesome stories of his travels, talking about the barren wilderness up there. They were spotting for beaver populations, back when beaver hide was worth more than gold, ounce for ounce, as much as anything, but his stories got published several times in magazines up there.

The term "greatest generation" is well deserved. Although WWI may predate that saying but it's true for both people in both world wars.

We are lucky to never come close to a draft such as back then, as well as total wartime production which means everyone was doing something for the war effort. There's a POW/MIA Wounded Warriors guy out on Fremont right outside of Golden Nugget by the crosswalk, and he's one guy that I know is legit and I always throw a buck or two in his boot when I get a chance. As much as I appreciate the thank yous for being in the service, I'm only in the Air Guard and I wish more people would tell this to our wounded vets. If buffet coupons were interchangeable I would totally hook those guys up.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
February 23rd, 2014 at 1:03:15 AM permalink

We hear so much about WWII history from this side of both wars, but WWI was just appalling.

More appalling in many ways. The war to end all
wars, it was called. The first really modern war,
air battles and chemical warfare. Now it's the
forgotten war, nobody even remembers it happened.

It was Hemingway's war, he was wounded and it
changed him forever. But he was far more terrified
of the flu that followed the war, in 1918. It killed
millions around the world, and he was afraid of
getting sick for the rest of his life.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 425
February 23rd, 2014 at 1:10:58 AM permalink

I was born when he was about 60. He was a lean, handsome, quiet person with a dry wit and a lot of undemonstrative love for us. .

Describes my dad to a tee. He was born in 1914,
almost the same generation. Parents were very
undemonstrative in those days, not like now. So
men grew up not knowing how to be affectionate.
I'm sure your grandfather was a fine person, he
served his country and felt good about it. No need
to make a fuss, women and children did that..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 23rd, 2014 at 6:39:53 AM permalink
Northern Alberta has pretty much been decimated through the oil sands. We will always be a very valuable water and mineral resource country -- solar power not so.

For Canada, WW1 is very much still a part of our memories when we have our Remembrance day ceremonies on 11/11. We lost a lot of life in that war, and Canada was a major player (both in WW1 and WW2). The US was only involved in WW1 for a year and a half, and wasn't involved in WW2 until Pearl Harbor.

So we remember.

How about that hockey team???
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:19:33 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

How about that hockey team???

No spoilers, please! I have the game Tivo'd (do people still say that?)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:32:44 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

No spoilers, please! I have the game Tivo'd (do people still say that?)

DVRed I think is what's currently used.
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
February 23rd, 2014 at 9:13:51 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

More appalling in many ways. The war to end all wars, it was called.

How naive was that?

War is the perfect embodiment of the human thirst for self-destruction. It accomplishes nothing, and nobody wins.

Also, good luck Canada! Did they play the game yet? (Don't tell me ... teddy doesn't want to know.)
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."

• Jump to: