odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 14th, 2014 at 5:27:37 PM permalink
I've been telling you there's been an underlying motive to get everybody to use the word "gender" instead of "sex"; people have tended to just go along with it without wondering why it all was changing.

'Male or Female' ain't cutting it anymore. With Facebook you have 50 choices. If you don't believe me, google "facebook genders"
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 14th, 2014 at 5:28:59 PM permalink
Shouldn't this be in DT?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
February 14th, 2014 at 5:33:17 PM permalink
Facebook is just following Obamacare regulations hehe
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 14th, 2014 at 5:41:46 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Shouldn't this be in DT?

As someone who has posted hundreds of times on "gunshow loophole", "Obamacare", "Election 2016", etc.... Really?

I want all these off topic discussions to flourish.. or die... here, on their merit and interest level....

As stated umpteen times... if you are not interested... ignore.... I hope you participate... you are always interesting...
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
February 14th, 2014 at 5:44:57 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

As someone who has posted hundreds of times on "gunshow loophole", "Obamacare", "Election 2016", etc.... Really?

I want all these off topic discussions to flourish.. or die... here, on their merit and interest level....

As stated umpteen times... if you are not interested... ignore.... I hope you participate... you are always interesting...

All of those threads are legacy. I start new ones at DT unless they are 'Vegas/gambling related.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 14th, 2014 at 5:50:20 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

All of those threads are legacy. I start new ones at DT unless they are 'Vegas/gambling related.

Please start them here. The great majority of the posters here do not frequent that site, and are interested in your new ideas.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 14th, 2014 at 6:25:43 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I've been telling you there's been an underlying motive to get everybody to use the word "gender" instead of "sex"; people have tended to just go along with it without wondering why it all was changing.

'Male or Female' ain't cutting it anymore. With Facebook you have 50 choices. If you don't believe me, google "facebook genders"

I laughed when I first heard this nonsense about 15 or 20 years ago but there were just 5 they had then. I'm glad I will not be around to see what the world becomes in 50 years.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 14th, 2014 at 6:33:17 PM permalink
Sex and Gender are different. Just as ethnic identity and physical appearance are.

That said 'male', 'cis male' and 'cis man' seem to me to be all the same thing. Moreover they are conflating physical attributes with gender identity, which is kind of odd if you ask me. But you probably weren't.

I'll probably remove my gender/sex from facebook now. EDIT : Seems I can't, must not have rolled out the new 56 items north of the border yet.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 14th, 2014 at 6:48:48 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Sex and Gender are different. Just as ethnic identity and physical appearance are.

They weren't different until the last few years. Just more PC ********.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 14th, 2014 at 6:53:55 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

They weren't as accurate until the last few years. Fixed that for you, you're welcome.
seattledice
seattledice
  • Threads: 18
February 14th, 2014 at 7:26:29 PM permalink

I'll probably remove my gender/sex from facebook now. EDIT : Seems I can't, must not have rolled out the new 56 items north of the border yet.

i thought so too, but then I tried typing something in the Custom box and FB suggested terms that matched - so "a" produced a list of 10 terms that contained "a". You must use one or more of the suggested terms or FB will not allow you to save.

Life used to be simple. You were male or female, straight or queer. Then I grew up, got married, had kids ... life isn't so simple any more.

One son says he's pangender when means I probably should have written that as, "One son says they are pangender." They were seeing a female, but are now seeing a male. But wait, there's more. The male was born female and is in the process of a gender change. There's probably a precise gender term for this state - somewhere between female and male - but I don't know what it is.

Daughter is lesbian which isn't a gender but a sexual preference. On her last visit home from college she introduced us to the concept of preferred pronouns. She had a visit from a friend who was born female but uses non-gender-specific pronouns. And "it" is not cool! So they visited us. We're still trying to figure out if you use "they" in reference to a single person, should you use single person verb tenses: "They is here." or "They are here."

Yeah, I know, this probably belongs in DT and maybe I'll get over there and discuss in more detail.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
February 14th, 2014 at 7:30:54 PM permalink
Quote: seattledice

I probably should have written that as, "One son says they are pangender."

One offspring says they're pangender. You're welcome.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 14th, 2014 at 7:31:53 PM permalink

Not at all. Your sex is not your gender is not your sexuality. Your race is not your ethnicity is not your nationality.

Do we need to record 56 versions of it on facebook? No. Is it polite to recognize people are different? Yes. Which isn't very PC at all, or at least that's what I am told.

Shrug. To suppose this will cause the fall of Western Civilization is hyperbole and more reactionary *********.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 14th, 2014 at 9:05:16 PM permalink

I laughed when I first heard this nonsense about 15 or 20 years ago but there were just 5 they had then. I'm glad I will not be around to see what the world becomes in 50 years.

Death panels gonna get you, or will you be in some never-ending waitlist thanks to single-payer medicine introduced by President Chelsea Clinton?

I was going to say you could type in whatever, and had an picture of it, but it's kind of ridiculous that you have to choose one of their options. Complete bull.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
  • Jump to: