No votes (0%)
3 votes (13.63%)
8 votes (36.36%)

22 members have voted

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
December 7th, 2013 at 4:30:46 PM permalink
What's your favorite commercial brand of Root Beer?

A&W was my favorite back in the 70's, but they must have done something to their recipe over the years because it doesn't quite taste the same as back then. Then again, maybe my taste buds changed? Who knows.

Currently, I like Barq's.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 7th, 2013 at 4:34:12 PM permalink
When I was a kid, in the 60's, it was a very special treat to go to A&W's for frosty drafts. No bottled root beer has ever compared, and I haven't had draft for over 30 years. Do they still have it?

And I would guess that, back then, it was made with cane sugar, where now, it's very likely it's made with corn syrup. And if the taste has changed, that will be why.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
December 7th, 2013 at 4:35:15 PM permalink
I remember I used to drink Dad's as a kid and would always get "Rotten Egg" burps. My favorite was this root beer with two crows on there that kind of looked like Heckle and Jeckle. Was called like Der Sprecher or something like that.
Perdition
Perdition
December 7th, 2013 at 4:38:06 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

When I was a kid, in the 60's, it was a very special treat to go to A&W's for frosty drafts. No bottled root beer has ever compared, and I haven't had draft for over 30 years. Do they still have it?

And I would guess that, back then, it was made with cane sugar, where now, it's very likely it's made with corn syrup. And if the taste has changed, that will be why.

Yeah corn syrup is the worst. I remember eating chef boy ar dee a few times and after each time I would get very sick when before it never happened. Turned out that is right when they started adding it in. Pepsi Throwback seems to be a nice alternative though.

Also up until a few years ago there was a Combo KFC/A & W right up the street from me. The root beet floats and cheese curds were always a fun treat. Then I guess Yum foods divested themselves of A & W so it's back to being just a KFC.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 7th, 2013 at 4:40:34 PM permalink
Dog N Suds had the best rootbeer in the 60's. You
could take your own jug and get it filled. It was
real creamy and real carbonated.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
December 7th, 2013 at 4:41:54 PM permalink
Since added sugar is forbidden in drinks at my house. Diet IBC is the leader with diet A&W a close 2nd.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 7th, 2013 at 4:49:26 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

You know, those are 2 good points I hadn't even thought of. I totally agree with everyone that corn syrup sucks. I recently had some Coca-Cola with cane sugar and could definitely tell there was a difference (for the better). Also, I'm trying to remember if the A&W I remember from the 70's was canned/bottled or draft. That could also be the difference. Thanks for pointing all this out because the difference in A&W's taste has always bugged me. :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 7th, 2013 at 4:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

if the A&W I remember from the 70's was canned/bottled or draft.

Real draft rootbeer is amazing stuff, like Dog n Suds
and A&W. It's the real sugar and carbonizing it on
the spot. Makes it super smooth.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
December 7th, 2013 at 4:59:25 PM permalink
Where is Stewart's in this poll?
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 7th, 2013 at 5:00:08 PM permalink
I agreed with Bob on Barq's. If it counts, my actual favorite is Sioux City Sarsaparilla, but that must not be commercial for purposes of this poll.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 7th, 2013 at 5:01:55 PM permalink
Quote: strictlyAP

Where is Stewart's in this poll?

Ah damn, I knew I forgot one. Sorry...

EDIT: Actually, I'm trying to think now. Is it still available? I haven't seen it in a long time.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 7th, 2013 at 5:09:58 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I agreed with Bob on Barq's

No, that was me. :) I guess EvenBob is my doppelgänger. LOL
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 7th, 2013 at 5:12:53 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Mission146
Mission146
December 7th, 2013 at 5:41:30 PM permalink

I agreed with Bob on Barq's

No, that was me. :) I guess EvenBob is my doppelgänger. LOL

My mistake, don't know why I thought Bob was the OP. Stewart's Root Beer is still available, by the way, I see it all the time and a few restaurants even serve it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
December 7th, 2013 at 5:54:48 PM permalink
hands down the best, and on the east coast its everywhere
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
December 7th, 2013 at 5:58:57 PM permalink

What's your favorite commercial brand of Root Beer?

A&W was my favorite back in the 70's, but they must have done something to their recipe over the years because it doesn't quite taste the same as back then. Then again, maybe my taste buds changed? Who knows.

Currently, I like Barq's.

I completely agree about A&W it doesn't taste the same as it used to, at least from a can or bottle. However, if there are A&W fast food stores near you they have the root beer on an old fashioned tap type of thing...and it tastes amazing.

Both Stewarts and IBC make a great root beer. The Black Cherry IBC is great too.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 7th, 2013 at 5:59:58 PM permalink

Stewart's Root Beer is still available, by the way, I see it all the time and a few restaurants even serve it.

Quote: strictlyAP

hands down the best, and on the east coast its everywhere

Cool, I usually buy canned soda, so I guess I'm just walking right past it. Gotta look harder next time! :)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
December 7th, 2013 at 6:20:41 PM permalink
What, no Henry Weinhard's? (They also make an Orange Cream, Vanilla Cream, and Black Cherry Cream sodas. For whatever reason, none of these are mentioned on the HW website.) The only problem with Henry's is, it's $1 per 12-ounce bottle.

In that case, Barq's, mainly because it's the only root beer available to me that has caffeine.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
December 7th, 2013 at 6:26:24 PM permalink
I developed an addiction to the Ellis Island root beer. It doesn't help that every Tuesday and Saturday they give out free pizza and root beer just for showing up.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Mission146
Mission146
December 7th, 2013 at 6:42:37 PM permalink
I've never heard of Henry Weinhard's, but then, I was surprised not to see Sioux City on the list which you may have never heard of. Sioux City has:

Sarsaparilla
Root Beer
Diet Sarsaparilla
Orange Cream
Cream Soda
Birch Beer
Cherries N' Mint
Berry Berry

I've only had the Birch Beer, Root Beer and Sarsaparilla. The Sarsaparilla would still be my favorite choice for root beer because it is close enough to root beer. In fact, the only difference between Root Beer and Sarsaparilla is added stuff, in that Sarsaparilla is flavored only with Sarsaparilla Root Extract and Root Beer also uses Sarsaparilla Root Extract, (mainly) but it also uses extracts from other roots.

Root Beer has a lighter taste that Sarsaparilla and a much less heady aftertaste, the predominating taste of Root Beer is the Sarsaparilla extract, so Sarsaparilla basically just tastes like a very strong Root Beer. I would suspect that Root Beers such as Barq's and old-school A&W simply had a greater proportion of Sarsaparilla extract in their recipe than the other extracts. I could be wrong, but Barq's certainly tastes close to Sarsaparilla than any other root beer on the list.

It's basically the same thing with Root Beer v. Birch Beer, Birch Beer is flavored almost exclusively with Birch extracts while Root Beer merely uses birch extracts along with Sarsaparilla extracts and others. I only had the Birch Beer once and wasn't terribly impressed, it is pretty heavily reminiscent of wintergreen and licorice, the latter of which I hate.

There's the slightest hint of licorice in Root Beer, but it's not overpowering (for someone who hates it) as it is in Birch Beer. Sarsaparilla has no discernible hint of licorice, in my opinion.

Of course, they all taste somewhat similar. Real Sarsaparilla is probably a different drink altogether, though I've never had it to know.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 7th, 2013 at 6:45:31 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

I developed an addiction to the Ellis Island root beer. It doesn't help that every Tuesday and Saturday they give out free pizza and root beer just for showing up.

Really? What times? I may have to check that out.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 7th, 2013 at 6:49:37 PM permalink

I only had the Birch Beer once and wasn't terribly impressed, it is pretty heavily reminiscent of wintergreen and licorice, the latter of which I hate.

I've never had birch beer, but I've always been curious. I do like wintergreen but don't know how I'd like it in a drink. Might be kinda like the first time I tried chocolate soda. I love chocolate, but drinking a chocolate flavored soda was weird.
djatc
djatc
December 7th, 2013 at 9:50:27 PM permalink

Really? What times? I may have to check that out.

All day Tues and Saturday. Print out a free pizza coupon. Now it's either pizza or the sub, with root beer or any of their other beers.

I don't recommend the subs. Too dry and plain tasting.

EDIT: might just be for locals. You'll have to double check. Also I'm a bigot.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 7th, 2013 at 10:58:53 PM permalink

All day Tues and Saturday. Print out a free pizza coupon. Now it's either pizza or the sub, with root beer or any of their other beers.

Yeah, let us know the details about that is you figure that out. g/f definitely approves of the root beer, and I approve of the non root beer. And I am overdue to play some 9/6 DDB Quick Quads!

My favorite is "Not Your Father's Root Beer' by Small Town Brewery (10% ABV). I generally don't care for root beer, tbh.
Perdition
Perdition
December 8th, 2013 at 1:03:18 PM permalink

From what the Ellis Island person said, it is on Saturdays and Tuesdays and it is based on previous play. I guess if you are eligible for it, it will print out from the kiosk.

Is it true they have been cutting back on a lot of their old food specials at EI like the Secret Steak Special and BBQ special? Sounds like people are upset with some marketing guy named "Big Mike" who they feel was responsible for the changes. Since you guys are regulars, maybe you know the truth about this.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
December 8th, 2013 at 1:54:53 PM permalink
As a kid in New Jersey, there was a Hires and an A&W across the street from each other. Muscle car laps were made around both, for hours on end.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
December 8th, 2013 at 2:41:27 PM permalink
I voted IBC because it is my favorite national brand, although still more in the "premium" category than the others, at least by cost. For the big bucks I like Virgil's the best. It has a much spicier flavor than the mainstream brands.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 8th, 2013 at 3:35:17 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

From what the Ellis Island person said, it is on Saturdays and Tuesdays and it is based on previous play. I guess if you are eligible for it, it will print out from the kiosk.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I can scratch it from my To Do list. hehe
djatc
djatc
December 9th, 2013 at 4:12:03 AM permalink
Quote: Perdition

Is it true they have been cutting back on a lot of their old food specials at EI like the Secret Steak Special and BBQ special? Sounds like people are upset with some marketing guy named "Big Mike" who they feel was responsible for the changes. Since you guys are regulars, maybe you know the truth about this.

Still getting $1 off entrees, $8.99 steak special with root beer/beer. BBQ at member prices. All printable at the kiosk, except for $1 off which requires you play through $1 with your card. I usually just play a couple hands of 9/6 10 play on nickels and see what happens.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 9th, 2013 at 9:55:18 AM permalink
I think this might have been just a midwest brand, but it is the root beer I grew up on.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 9th, 2013 at 10:34:33 AM permalink

I usually just play a couple hands of 9/6 10 play on nickels and see what happens.

Sans Quick Quads? Zzzzzz... Hearing the dude say "Quick Quad!" is one of the greatest video poker sounds in history!
djatc
djatc
December 9th, 2013 at 10:46:57 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Sans Quick Quads? Zzzzzz... Hearing the dude say "Quick Quad!" is one of the greatest video poker sounds in history!

The 6th coin, new strategy, and added variance is something I'd like to avoid. In all my time at ei I've only seen one person play with correct strategy.

Dreamcard sounds a lot better, but its usually a bad returning game so I avoid it, although catching a deuce in it is awesome sauce. Runner up is the dealt hand sound in 50-100 play as you play it off.
SplittingAA
SplittingAA
  • Threads: 4
December 9th, 2013 at 11:24:31 AM permalink
I live in Central Ohio and we still have a Stewart's Rootbeer Stand in my hometown. The family loves to go there. The food is bad for you and we love it (I personally like the Garbage Burger if I'm feeling gluttonous). It's a carhop place, that's only open half of the year. You just pull your car into a spot, give your order through the speaker/microphone thingy. Wait 15 minutes then they bring out the tray and hang it on your window. It's a fun treat in the summer after a little league game or any other time.
Phil: I'm pretty sure that's illegal too. Alan: Yeah, maybe after 9/11, where everybody got so sensitive. Thanks a lot, bin Laden.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
December 9th, 2013 at 11:34:06 AM permalink
Quote: SplittingAA

I live in Central Ohio and we still have a Stewart's Rootbeer Stand in my hometown. The family loves to go there. The food is bad for you and we love it (I personally like the Garbage Burger if I'm feeling gluttonous). It's a carhop place, that's only open half of the year. You just pull your car into a spot, give your order through the speaker/microphone thingy. Wait 15 minutes then they bring out the tray and hang it on your window. It's a fun treat in the summer after a little league game or any other time.

Do you live in Marion? I've been to that Stewart's...
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 14th, 2013 at 7:18:29 PM permalink
Not to dredge up a dormant thread, but earlier someone had mentioned soda with sugar vs. corn syrup. Well, today I bought some Pepsi Throwback, which is made with real sugar. Don't know how long this has been out, but it was the first time I noticed it at Walmart, and it tastes great.

It tastes more light & clean compared to regular Pepsi (if that description makes any sense). I hate that corn syrup crap even more now.

*EDIT: Looks like Pepsi Throwback became permanent a couple years ago. Where the hell have I been? lol...
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 14th, 2013 at 7:49:12 PM permalink
Hires Root Beer Probably a local brand in Baltimore. This was back in the 1950's. Used to bet lunch money my coke bottle was farther away than yours. City it was bottled in was on bottom of 6 oz bottles.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 14th, 2013 at 9:26:41 PM permalink
I don't understand? What does it mean that you bet your Coke bottle was further away?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 14th, 2013 at 9:41:37 PM permalink
On the bottom of the coke bottle would be in raised letters where it was bottled. Atlanta detroit Brooklyn etc.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
December 14th, 2013 at 11:34:02 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Hires Root Beer Probably a local brand in Baltimore. This was back in the 1950's. Used to bet lunch money my coke bottle was farther away than yours. City it was bottled in was on bottom of 6 oz bottles.

We had Hires in the Midwest(Northern Plains). It might have been the first root beer I saw on grocery shelves rather than from a tap, so a long time ago. Late 60's, maybe?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: