FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
November 6th, 2013 at 2:14:15 AM permalink
From time to time the Wizard has given me permission to refer to my web site. Here is my newest article:

http://frankscoblete.com/scobes-in-our-time/our-boners-ourselves/
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 6th, 2013 at 5:23:31 AM permalink
As soon as chicks start digging old fat guys, I'm in like Flynn.
A falling knife has no handle.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
November 6th, 2013 at 6:23:14 AM permalink
Damn Scoblete, you are one hell of a writer!

Good stuff, man.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
November 6th, 2013 at 12:12:16 PM permalink
Thanks KeyserSoze.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 6th, 2013 at 12:31:30 PM permalink
That article left me curiously aroused.

*looks at watch*

Dang, it's been at least four hours already; I better call my doctor.

*ring ... ring ...*

"Hello?"

"Hi doc, this is Mr. V. I have an erection that has lasted more than four hours. What should I do?"

"Hmmm ... climb in bed with Mrs. V, she'll know what to do."
"What, me worry?"
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
November 6th, 2013 at 12:34:08 PM permalink
Thought maybe this would be about the late Boner Staboner from Growing Pains.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 6th, 2013 at 12:37:59 PM permalink
Funny, Frank. Of course the message in those ads is,
if strong virile handsome hunks around 50 can't get
it up, why should a 65 year old out of shape couch
spud feel bad. I like the guy who says 'why are you
missing the best part of life'. Sex after 50 is the 'best'
part of life? No, sex when your 19 is the best part of
life, when you can do it every single day, twice, and
it's all you think about. Those commercials are pathetic.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
November 6th, 2013 at 12:56:50 PM permalink
The title comes from a takeoff of Our bodies, ourselves a feminist tome of the 60's, right up there Gloria Steinem et al. I also remember Abbie Hoffman's Steal this Book, et al.

Frank, we're showing our age and our 60's & 70's whereabouts here.............
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
November 6th, 2013 at 2:01:00 PM permalink
Paigowdan, you are right. I am showing my age and making fun of the Our Body Ourselves title.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
November 8th, 2013 at 1:04:03 PM permalink
Some folks did not get the title. It's a take-off on the book "Our Bodies Ourselves," a feminist screed that had a tremendous impact on the woman's movement.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 8th, 2013 at 1:34:01 PM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

Some folks did not get the title. It's a take-off on the book "Our Bodies Ourselves," a feminist screed that had a tremendous impact on the woman's movement.

Thanks, Frank, I'd almost forgotten those dark days of the
early 70's, when everything changed for the worse. As far
as young men were concerned, anyway.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
November 8th, 2013 at 2:17:29 PM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

Exactly. I described it as a "tome," tongue-in-cheek. Now, you said "screed," an apt choice, and spot-on description. Oh, those days of revolution, feminism and LBJ, Nixon, etc.! My sister bought a copy!

Quote: EvenBob

Thanks, Frank, I'd almost forgotten those dark days of the
early 70's, when everything changed for the worse. As far
as young men were concerned, anyway.

Well, we had free love, (hopefully some were getting some), the Grateful Dead, Bell Bottoms, The Beatles, the Stones, Clapton, Woodstock, Vietnam, the Watts riots, the Great Society....when Ike left, the ball rolled off the edge of the table for a while. Those who tuned out where watching the Mary Tyler Moore show.

then whammo, - polyester, 8-tracks, Jimmy Carter, and disco.

The only thing good, consistent, and God-affirming during that time and throughout that time was the Tonight Show!
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
November 8th, 2013 at 3:45:00 PM permalink
Nice way to phrase it all.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 10th, 2013 at 2:21:29 PM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Exactly. I described it as a "tome," tongue-in-cheek. Now, you said "screed," an apt choice, and spot-on description. Oh, those days of revolution, feminism and LBJ, Nixon, etc.! My sister bought a copy!

Well, we had free love, (hopefully some were getting some), the Grateful Dead, Bell Bottoms, The Beatles, the Stones, Clapton, Woodstock, Vietnam, the Watts riots, the Great Society....when Ike left, the ball rolled off the edge of the table for a while. Those who tuned out where watching the Mary Tyler Moore show.

The only thing good, consistent, and God-affirming during that time and throughout that time was the Tonight Show!

I, for one, am very grateful to have lived during those times; before, during, after. There was enormous possibility in the air, a very positive time for change and growth despite the turmoil and assassinations. Very optimistic time for dreamers, people of ability and achievement, creative types. And the free love was a lot of fun, though overrated.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
November 10th, 2013 at 2:53:59 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: Paigowdan

I, for one, am very grateful to have lived during those times; before, during, after. There was enormous possibility in the air, a very positive time for change and growth despite the turmoil and assassinations. Very optimistic time for dreamers, people of ability and achievement, creative types. And the free love was a lot of fun, though overrated.

Barbara, I agree, there was no period like the 60's/early 70's.
The passion was contagious (and nutty at times) in hindsight. The optimism, - and demand for change - was incredible. If it happened today, it would look like the Iranian revolution.
And who can forget The Revolution Will Not Be Televised!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 10th, 2013 at 9:44:37 PM permalink
I just watched Easy Rider for the first time (for reference, I was born in the '80s so clearly I was not the target audience).

I absolutely loved it; girlfriend hated it. Lol. I don't mind slow movies with a vague plot as long as there is a point. And the point of this movie defined a generation, or so they tell me. This scene:

Just tickled me. I may have, ahem, been in the right state of mind for it though :p
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 10th, 2013 at 11:51:32 PM permalink
I saw Easy Rider at a drive in when it came out and couldn't
relate to it at all. It was Hollywood crap, nobody I knew lived
like that. They were trying to create a genre, rather than
reflecting one. The 60's was fun, but there was a lot of hype
involved too. We still had jobs and went to work everyday.
Maybe it was hippieville in Calif, but we saw none of that in
the midwest. Woodstock was a big deal, but that was a huge
amount of hype too. Everybody I knew was into working
and muscle cars and drinking beer, we looked at all the
hippie stuff as silly nonsense, for the most part.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
November 11th, 2013 at 6:18:32 AM permalink
I liked "Easy Rider" when I first saw it the week it came out. About 10 years ago I decided to watch it again. It stunk.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 11th, 2013 at 6:28:43 AM permalink
[one of these times when I like the anonymity here]

As far as my own boners as time has ticked on, I am assuming that I won't have E.D. at least for some decades out and need boner medicine, but it *is* a guess. As a young man a boner could be summoned up anytime; now at 60 it seems to take more stimulus. But then I'm good.

On the other hand, I think I will pursue getting boner medicine prescribed next time I see a Doc. Just to play around with, you know, an extended experience but something less than 4 hours please [g].
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 11th, 2013 at 7:32:58 AM permalink
You might be interested in some of those who were "born dropped out"... their parents Tuned In, Turned On and Dropped Out and they were born on California Coastal Communes, grew up with nudity and mung bean sprouts and dirt... mostly they seem to have dropped back in to society although many did continue as communards/Hippies/whatchamacallits.

There have always been the quiet ones who burned the candle at both ends without any publicity about it. Those who didn't campaign for pot reform laws but who made fortunes in the pot trade and invested the proceeds in dozens of businesses and land parcels.

They are the ones with the best of both worlds. The hippies who became wealthy. The girls who "used men for sex" with no desire for possessiveness. The girls who only dated men who owned their own businesses and drained those men of their knowledge.
  • Jump to: