RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 8th, 2013 at 4:36:03 AM permalink
I realized this week that I was missing an opportunity to end our company's trip to Vegas (15 folks traveling to a conference) with another trip that ties yet another trip all together and makes it a seemingly better way to go. Basically, we had 9/14-9/18 in Vegas, back to Houston, and then 9/20 driving to Lubbock and returning 9/22. By renting a car and linking them, we get extra tourist time, save 1,000 miles on our car, and add only 500 miles to the total mileage we have to drive for the trip.

The preliminary plan is to leave Vegas 9/18 and drive to Seligman, AZ taking Rt 66 from Kingman to Seligman. The next day, head to the GCNP and spend the day there, ending up in Winslow, AZ. I looked for rooms in the park; none were available.

I know this doesn't give much time at the Grand Canyon, but it does give us a chance to go there...neither one of us have ever been. I have driven Rt 40 before (1985 or so), but I stopped only at night on a quick trip across the continent. Not one iota of tourist stuff.

I'm looking for your help in letting me know if there is anything we are missing that would be worth adding, re-routing, subtracting, etc. from the very limited time we have. Essentially, we need to drive 1,000 miles and see whatever we can 9/18-9/20...and be in Lubbock in time for dinner 9/20.

Is this gambling related? Well..we will be gambling in Vegas!! Staying at Treasure Island for two nights and Encore for three nights. One night overlaps so we can change hotels at whatever time we'd like...
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 8th, 2013 at 4:50:05 AM permalink
I visited Oatman which is an old ghost town just off Route 66 that is now kind of touristy, but still has burros roaming the streets. Worth a visit if in the area.

http://www.oatmangoldroad.org/

And if going through Winslow......Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 8th, 2013 at 5:00:24 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

I visited Oatman which is an old ghost town just off Route 66 that is now kind of touristy, but still has burros roaming the streets. Worth a visit if in the area.

http://www.oatmangoldroad.org/

That looks like it would require a bit of rerouting from what I have now BUT it would also give us more miles on Rt 66. I'll have to look into that! Thanks!

We have the whole day to get from Las Vegas to Seligman, so we plan some stops along the way.

Quote: Boz

And if going through Winslow......Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me.

I'll do some "standin' on the corner" for sure...
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 8th, 2013 at 7:17:37 AM permalink
"We may lose, and we may win, but we will never be here again!"

Love the Eagles reference, Boz!
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
September 8th, 2013 at 8:13:44 AM permalink
My uncle is the mayor of Winslow, AZ ... When I was younger we definitely took a picture standing on the corner in Winslow, Az. I think at the time there was little touristy spot with the lyrics painted on the wall behind you. I haven't been back to Winslow in about 15 years though.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
September 8th, 2013 at 8:29:08 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

"We may lose, and we may win, but we will never be here again!"

Love the Eagles reference, Boz!

"It's a girl my lord in a flat bed ford slowin' down to take a look at me."

I've hitchhiked through Winslow many times.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
September 8th, 2013 at 11:06:44 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

My uncle is the mayor of Winslow, AZ ... When I was younger we definitely took a picture standing on the corner in Winslow, Az. I think at the time there was little touristy spot with the lyrics painted on the wall behind you. I haven't been back to Winslow in about 15 years though.

I sometimes imagine the series of decisions that cause things to become imbedded in our collective minds.

Glenn Frey 1972:
I've been working on this Take it Easy song with Jackson Brown and I think it could be signature song for us, laid back and western.
"Standing on the corner in Phoenix Arizona and such a fine sight to see"
No, Phoenix is like LA these days, full of eastern transplants making real estate deals. Any two syllable town would work. Tucson? No, this song is about freedom, it needs to be more back roads. Flagstaff, perfect. Wait, didn't they use that in Route 66? Man, I'd like a chance to edit that song. "Oklahoma City is mighty pretty'" give me a break, must have been up against a deadline. Let's get an Arizona map.

And now some 40 years later you can't here the name Winslow, AZ without humming that song.

Take it easy
Jim
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 8th, 2013 at 11:29:50 AM permalink
One of my all-time favorites to perform..I absolutely love the harmonies in the chorus. It was thoughtful of them to put the hold notes on "EE" words; everybody sounds better. lol....
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 8th, 2013 at 1:43:21 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Standing on the Corner Park.

I picked up an Indian at a gas station in Winslow and drove him back to the reservation.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
  • Jump to: