3 votes (7.5%)
12 votes (30%)

40 members have voted

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 6th, 2013 at 3:08:00 PM permalink
Which browser do you all use?

I can't stand Internet Explorer, but I know a lot of people still use it. Opera has some cool features, but it doesn't work on all websites. As for Chrome, it's fast, but I'm always wary when it comes to privacy issues with Google. And Firefox takes up too much memory.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to include 'Other' as an option. If you use a different browser, please state which one.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 6th, 2013 at 3:30:37 PM permalink
Firefox on my Mac. Chrome on my Android devices.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 6th, 2013 at 3:39:04 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Firefox on my Mac.

<gasp!>
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
August 6th, 2013 at 3:46:11 PM permalink
I use Firefox. You may want to check out disconnect.com for their free software to help with privacy issues. It does a great job of blocking data requests.
I read about them recently in Forbes.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco
August 6th, 2013 at 4:30:53 PM permalink
BTW, the disconnect software is advertising quicker times and less bandwidth and it does seem to be true. I've only had it for 3 days.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 6th, 2013 at 4:54:26 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

I use Firefox. You may want to check out disconnect.com for their free software to help with privacy issues. It does a great job of blocking data requests.
I read about them recently in Forbes.

That link just is a set of pages on how to delete various social network accounts.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
steeldco
steeldco
August 6th, 2013 at 4:58:53 PM permalink
You're right. I'm sorry. I had remembered the website incorrectly. It is www.disconnect.me
steeldco
steeldco
August 6th, 2013 at 4:59:47 PM permalink
Also, here's their tagline...

Unwanted tracking is not cool
Disconnect lets you visualize and block the invisible websites that track you.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
August 6th, 2013 at 5:15:17 PM permalink
Firefox browser.
Yahoo email.
myYahoo homepage
Buffering...
Jeepster
Jeepster
  • Threads: 3
August 6th, 2013 at 5:57:55 PM permalink
Chrome for me, on all my devices plus Google for my default search engine.
Installed cloud based Chromium on a old laptop once, wasn't worth the bother getting it to work, maybe Chromium has improved since then.
A photon without any luggage checks into a hotel, he's travelling light.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 6th, 2013 at 6:49:42 PM permalink
Firefox with No Script and Do Not Track, along with standards like AdBlock. The only thing any Google product is good for, considering their truly grave and sinful exploitation of privacy and histories, is Google Maps/Earth. Bing hasn't caught up to them (yet?) and Google Groups has seriously decayed since Deja Vu.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
August 6th, 2013 at 7:39:59 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

The only thing any Google product is good for, considering their truly grave and sinful exploitation of privacy and histories

Yeah, the privacy thing with Google really bothers me. I don't know if you like searching with Google, but if so, have you tried conducting your searches with Startpage? They take their results directly from Google, but it's totally private. They don't record your IP address or track your searches at all. In other words, no bullsh*t government surveillance to worry about (at least for now).
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 7th, 2013 at 1:40:44 AM permalink
Chrome. I used Firefox (and Mozilla before it) for many, many years, but around 2010, it just started to get these nasty memory leaks, and I don't know why.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 7th, 2013 at 6:09:30 AM permalink
I like Internet Explorer, and my IPhone is Safari, though the two seem almost exactly the same.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
August 7th, 2013 at 8:05:46 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Yeah, the privacy thing with Google really bothers me. I don't know if you like searching with Google, but if so, have you tried conducting your searches with Startpage? They take their results directly from Google, but it's totally private. They don't record your IP address or track your searches at all. In other words, no bullsh*t government surveillance to worry about (at least for now).

I've used Ixquick for years. It was invented by the son of a colleague of mine, who sold it big-time to the Dutch. It doesn't record IP's either and is quite heavily oriented toward academia.
ClarkWGriswold
ClarkWGriswold
  • Threads: 8
August 7th, 2013 at 8:09:58 AM permalink
IE on my phone
Chrome on my Nexus7
Firefox on my Win7 computer.
"I am your average American gambling idiot" - Me
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
August 7th, 2013 at 8:26:59 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

I've used Ixquick for years. It was invented by the son of a colleague of mine, who sold it big-time to the Dutch. It doesn't record IP's either and is quite heavily oriented toward academia.

I think the main difference is that Ixquick pulls search results from multiple search engines, while Startpage takes results from Google only. (I like both of them) DuckDuckGo is another good private search engine, although I haven't used it as much as Startpage.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
August 7th, 2013 at 8:58:55 AM permalink
Apparently disconnect.me doesn't work with IE, but it rocks with the others and seems to really speed up browsing and according to the page virtualization stuffs a bunch of junk. Pity about the IE though because I have a number of legacy apps that work only under IE or would be in need of a (paid) version upgrade to get everything to play together.

I like IE having used it for many years but even in IE10 MS still can't get it right as there are occasional "IE has stopped working" messages reminiscent of the Blue Screen of Death in WIN98...
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
August 7th, 2013 at 11:15:52 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Yeah, the privacy thing with Google really bothers me.

This new item means that the Google program does not turn off:
"It might be a bit much to say that one of the new features packed into Android's 4.3 upgrade is controversial, but it's definitely one worth knowing a little bit more about. As those who have taken a spin around the Android 4.3 ROM have noticed, Google has made a change to devices' Wi-Fi settings in Android 4.3.
"To improve location accuracy and for other purposes, Google and other apps may scan for nearby networks, even when Wi-Fi is off," describes Google." pcmag
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
August 7th, 2013 at 1:19:07 PM permalink
Chrome on my windows laptop.
  • Jump to: