Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 11th, 2010 at 6:34:46 AM permalink
When planning my latest trip to Vegas, a close relative told me of a rumor that a US visa would be valid for entry only if it expired at least six months after the date of the intended stay. In other words, as my visa expires early in October this year, I couldn't make a mid-April or early May trip.

I could renew my visa, but it takes weeks and the timing is uncertain. I would have had to push my trip back to at least June. I was planning to renew it in August, when my work load is at its lowest ebb and the least amount of people are seeking US visas.

So, after searching the depths of the websites for the US Embassy, the State Department, Homeland Security and more, I found not one word about how long a visa had to be valid. I tried to phone the embassy, but that's a lot easier said than done. Long story short, I had to dial a toll number and provide a credit card number (and I'm told the US consulates near the border are a lot busier than the Embassy in Mexico City).

As it turns out the visa need merely be valid at the time of entry, according to one source, or valid throughout the intended stay according to another. Either way I'm fine, and I shall be in Vegas next May (BTW I got a great deal on airfare).

So whence did the rumor arise? Who can say. Rumors are always murky and more than a little conspiratorial. Still, in this instance I may have a source. The US does require that most visitors hold a passport that is valid for at least 6 months past the intended stay. My passport is valid through April 2011, so no problems there, and I can get one any time within three days of applying.

But that's not all. Some countries are excluded from the 6 months rule. One of them is Mexico. Therefore there is no basis at all for this rumor. And I should know better than to listen to such idiocy. If it had been true, I'd have confirmed it in minutes. It's trying to prove it false that takes a lot of time and effort.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 11th, 2010 at 7:30:03 AM permalink
I've travelled from Canada to the States with about 10 days remaining on my passport. No issues.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
April 11th, 2010 at 8:19:46 AM permalink
For US citizens on short-term visits, Hong Kong requires a passport that will be valid for at least six more months. (source). I know because I was inconveniently affected by that rule once.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
April 11th, 2010 at 5:26:38 PM permalink
I think a lot of countries have a standing rule that your passport should be valid for 6 months from time of entry. I think it's to make sure you can leave and return to your home country so they don't get stuck with you. I'm sure there are exceptions between certain countries
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 11th, 2010 at 6:51:03 PM permalink
Oh, there are a lot of complicated rules for entry to any country. The US in particular seems like a morass of bureaucratic practices gone haywire. There are exceptions, exceptions to the exceptions, qualifications, and lots of other things. No wonder lots of people enter illegally. That way they risk their life but not their sanity ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: