1 vote (6.66%)
8 votes (53.33%)
5 votes (33.33%)

15 members have voted

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 18th, 2013 at 1:49:22 PM permalink
I'm just curious -- who on the forum here is a member of one or more of the Trusted Traveler or Known Traveler programs recognized by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol? It is possible to participate in more than one of these programs, so this poll allows you to "vote" for more than one. If you select "Other", then please let us know which one(s).

For discussion, what benefits if any have you actually experienced by being a member of your program? Did your real benefits match what you had expected to obtain? Do you feel that the benefits thus far have been worth the time, effort, expense, and possible loss of privacy from joining?

My wife and I have just joined the Global Entry program, and we had our personal interviews today. We don't do very much international travel -- only re-entered the country twice in 2012 and haven't been out of the states so far in 2013. Our motivation was the alleged benefits available from the TSA Pre√ program that we automatically become eligible for.

The TSA Pre√ program (see this link) allows people that are enrolled and that are taking domestic (U.S.) flights to take a bypass around the queue for screening, and you don't have to remove shoes or belts, don't have to remove computers from their cases, and don't have to remove the bag of liquid containers from your carry-on bag. It is limited to certain airlines, certain airports, and certain inspection stations, but it will work for us on Delta (our primary airline) at Charlotte (our primary airport), Las Vegas, Atlanta, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, and Phoenix, all of which are airports where we have gone through screening in the past year or will next month, plus at quite a few more that aren't on our common routes.

Of course, TSA makes random inspections, so it is possible that you have to go through a full inspection, but at least you skip the queue in getting there.

Skipping the queue is the benefit that we think will be best. We are hoping that this reduces some of the aggravation of getting to our flights and that we also draw some benefits on international travel.
Jimbo
Jimbo
  • Threads: 5
April 18th, 2013 at 2:30:32 PM permalink
I am a member of the TSA Pre-Check program.

I did not go through the application and interview process.

I am a frequent flyer on Delta and I was selected by the airline for the program. This did not involve an interview or anything on my part. I was automatically included in the program.

The benefits are wonderful.

Short queues with special dedicated lines--even shorter than the first class lines. No need to remove any clothing (including shoes, belt, etc.). No need to remove anything from pockets--except your cell phone only. No need to pull out your toiletries from your carry on bag.

I am spoiled.
Doc
Doc
April 18th, 2013 at 3:58:05 PM permalink
Sounds good. I'm Delta Silver Medallion, but I was not included by the airline.

To my knowledge, the only way to self-select for the TSA Pre√ program is to join one of the CBP programs and add the Known Traveler ID # to your frequent flyer profile with each airline that participates. Joining involves providing personal info for a background investigation, paying a fee (dependent upon the program), and participating in a personal interview with a CBP representative. The Global Entry program interview includes fingerprinting and photo. I think that the Nexus program requires approval of both the U.S. and Canadian governments and includes an iris scan as part of the ID info collected. Don't know what's involved with the U.S./Mexico Sentri program.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 18th, 2013 at 3:59:04 PM permalink
I found different airports have procedures for military. I always get to go to the preferred line at Seatac but in Vegas I never came across any line like this. I hate standing in line :(
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Doc
Doc
April 18th, 2013 at 4:17:18 PM permalink
I read a little flyer while waiting for my interview today. It said that military are eligible for Pre√ if they have an active CAC card. I might have the acronym wrong, since I didn't recognize it or know what it stands for.

According to the web site I linked before, at LAS they have Pre√ available for American and Delta passengers in Terminal 1.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 19th, 2013 at 12:20:36 AM permalink
Gosh darn it, I keep meaning to get on board with the Pre-Check thing, and I still haven't!

Doc, about how long did the process take, start-to-finish? If I got the ball rolling tomorrow, would I have any chance at finishing before WoVCon ///? How much was your total outlay for all the different parts?

I'll make at least 5 round-trip flights this year, probably 6 if I make it to Vegas in the fall (hopefully). I haven't run the numbers, but I've probably averaged 5/year since I graduated college in 2006. I feel like the time and aggravation savings would be worth the cost.

Also, how does this work with opting out? I know the backscatter X-Ray machines are starting to get phased out, but I still object on principle to the millimeter wave machines, so I always opt out (except once, which I still feel bad about).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 19th, 2013 at 1:46:21 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I read a little flyer while waiting for my interview today. It said that military are eligible for Pre√ if they have an active CAC card. I might have the acronym wrong, since I didn't recognize it or know what it stands for.

According to the web site I linked before, at LAS they have Pre√ available for American and Delta passengers in Terminal 1.

CACs (common access cards) are the main source of ID for military folk. I know of some people who kept theirs that don't have an expiration date and reap the benefits lol.

I was flying on Southwest and they do allow military to check in ahead of the line, but I didn't go through with it because there was a huge line and I felt like a d-bag just cutting in front of everyone while having to explain I'm military. This is a great tip next time I fly out to Vegas.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Doc
Doc
April 19th, 2013 at 5:20:05 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Doc, about how long did the process take, start-to-finish? If I got the ball rolling tomorrow, would I have any chance at finishing before WoVCon ///? How much was your total outlay for all the different parts?

I submitted our applications on-line on 4/4/13. Originally, I had planned to apply for the Nexus (U.S./Canada) program because the fee is lower: $50 for five years. Unfortunately, the personal interview must be conducted at a CBP facility on the U.S.-Canadian border, and that would be inconvenient for us. Instead, I applied for the Global Entry program. It's fee is $100 for five years, but the interviews are conducted at many international airports, including the Charlotte airport that is close to us.

I received an email message of preliminary approval on 4/15, and my wife received a similar email message the next morning. These messages told us to go back on-line to schedule the personal interviews at a location of our choice. That is when it got interesting/annoying.

I tried to schedule for CLT, but I got the message that "No time slots are available." Not "no time slots this week" or this month, just "No time slots." In considering alternate locations, I knew that we would be spending (too much) time in the Atlanta airport on our way to WoVCon, but they had no available times at ATL that day. I also checked LAS and DEN for time slots during the periods we will be in those cities, but no luck at all. Then I telephoned the CPB office at CLT for advice. They said they were working on a trial program -- I think they are trying to see how many appointments they can handle in a day. That was Tuesday afternoon, and they offered me a variety of interview times on Thursday afternoon (4/18). We arrived early for our appointments and were out of there earlier than we were supposed to start.

They said we would receive the I.D. cards in about a week but that we could add our member number to our airline frequent flyer profiles right away and be eligible for the Pre√ program with the next boarding pass that was printed for us. (Eligibility shows up as some kind of hidden code on the boarding pass.)

Of course, YMMV. I suspect that the availability of times for personal interview appointments at your preferred location could be the limiting factor for how quickly you can complete the process. If you have a problem in that step, give them a call -- it helped for me.

Also, how does this work with opting out? I know the backscatter X-Ray machines are starting to get phased out, but I still object on principle to the millimeter wave machines, so I always opt out (except once, which I still feel bad about).

I have no idea. I've never opted out. My only thought is that if the inspection is going to involve a really up-close and personal pat down, then I prefer that the agent be female and very cute. It doesn't seem to work that way. :-(
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 19th, 2013 at 6:26:47 AM permalink

I submitted our applications on-line on 4/4/13. Originally, I had planned to apply for the Nexus (U.S./Canada) program because the fee is lower: $50 for five years. Unfortunately, the personal interview must be conducted at a CBP facility on the U.S.-Canadian border, and that would be inconvenient for us.

Doc!! If ever there was a reason to go drive around NY, ON, and QC...:-)

I tried to do Global Entry last year. I kept missing my appointments, then I think they determined that I was a bot because they locked out my online profile. Then I moved to Philly, which doesn't have the bypass lanes for UAL's concourse so I didn't move forward.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
April 19th, 2013 at 6:46:11 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Doc!! If ever there was a reason to go drive around NY, ON, and QC...:-)

Yep. But I would like to have Nexus or something similar before that trip. Hopefully, Global Entry and the CPB sticker in our passports will help some in crossing the border to/from the northern neighbor.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
April 19th, 2013 at 8:09:41 AM permalink
I applied for the Nexus program back when I was going to Caesars Windsor a lot. The application was harder and more in-depth than any application I've done, and that includes the State Bar. I ended up making it all the way to the personal interview, but ditched the appointment and never rescheduled. Free $50 gift to CBP from me :)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 19th, 2013 at 9:41:28 AM permalink

...answers...

Thanks for the info, Doc! I'm going to see if I can get this done before I leave for Vegas. I will probably go the Nexus route, since I usually head to Canada at least twice a year to play Ultimate. Not gonna happen this year with my ACL tear, but if it lasts 5 years it should be worth it.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 19th, 2013 at 10:11:25 AM permalink

That is when it got interesting/annoying.

Thanks for the info!

I've thought about it. I know people who have Global Entry and they like it. Except, well, we'll get to that. Last trip to Vegas, look it up somewher eon the baord, I spent a long time in line for immigration. During that time perhaps three people used the Global Entry kiosks. When that happens you think "I'm an idiot for not having it!"

But there's always a but. Some people I know ahve told me they breeze right through immigration, yes, but then they wait maybe about as long for their luggage to show up. So...

The other thing is the interview has to be in the US. So, it wouldn't be worth it for this trip, and then I'd have to take some of my vacation time to do the interview at McCarran, assuming they have slots avilable. For one trip I take per year, I don't think it's worth it.

This trip I selected a seat well forward near the exit in order to avoid a repeat of last year when I sat at the back. Still, I know if I wind up waiting in line 30 minutes or so I'll think "I'm an idiot for not having Global Entry!" ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 19th, 2013 at 10:54:40 AM permalink
The Global programs are designed for people who travel alot.

If you have a Nexus pass, there is a dedicated BRIDGE in Niagara Falls that only allows Nexus travellers to pass (the Whirlpool bridge). The problem with Nexus on busy border crossing days is that you still have to wait well back in line if it is backed up. Nexus is great at airports however, where a 1/2 hour - hour wait in YYZ/YVR would be reduced to seconds.

I have an L1 visa for my work that allows me to travel to the states and back without any questioning. I didn't get Nexus because I don't travel a great deal across the borders and when I do travel, the waits were fairly short.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 20th, 2013 at 8:21:15 PM permalink

Thanks for the info, Doc! I'm going to see if I can get this done before I leave for Vegas. I will probably go the Nexus route, since I usually head to Canada at least twice a year to play Ultimate. Not gonna happen this year with my ACL tear, but if it lasts 5 years it should be worth it.

Boom - just submitted my application for NEXUS. There's an interview center within about 10 miles of me, so I should be good. Now just crossing my fingers that I can get in there for an interview before May 22nd! Thanks a lot, Doc, for starting this thread and reminding me.
Doc
Doc
April 20th, 2013 at 9:07:22 PM permalink

Boom - just submitted my application for NEXUS. There's an interview center within about 10 miles of me, so I should be good.

Sounds good! Now, if you've been caught smuggling three times in the past ten years, you might have trouble getting approved.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 20th, 2013 at 9:20:54 PM permalink

Sounds good! Now, if you've been caught smuggling three times in the past ten years, you might have trouble getting approved.

The only blemish on my record is a public nudity infraction that happened a couple of years ago. In fact it should be expunged from my record, but I haven't bothered to check. Hopefully that doesn't preclude me from getting approved! It's a great story, maybe I can tell it at WoVCon ///...
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 20th, 2013 at 9:25:47 PM permalink
Also, I have an unfortunate feeling that it will take me longer than 14 days to get the whole thing finished. Something about the relative population in my area compared to yours...
  • Jump to: