Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
April 14th, 2013 at 7:54:40 AM permalink
Bump time.

The Roman Republic had a knack for making the most out of being the target of someone else. When King Pyrrhus invaded, Rome wound up taking Sicily from Carthage, later it took Carthage from Carthage. When Philip V of Macedon conspired with the Seleucid Empire to take over some Egyptian territories, Rome wound up tricking the bulk of Greece into submission to Rome.

The "official" Roman mythology has Rome being traced ultimately to survivors of the Trojan war. This may not be true at all, but the Trojans learned about what happens when Greeks come bearing gifts. Rome learned to use that tactic by offering help. To be fair, Rome almost always did help and kept its side of a treaty. The Republic did keep King Hiero in the throne of Syracuse as promised, for as long as he lived. Once he passed away, though, Rome gobbled Syracuse up.

Very crafty, these Romans.

Furthermore, in my opinion Windows 8 must be destroyed.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 6:27:10 AM permalink
Bump time.

I don't have much of interest to say about Rome, though I just finished with the first Gothic War of the Byzantine era, so I'll just say soemthing amrginally related:

In my opinion, Windows 8 must be destroyed.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
April 15th, 2013 at 6:32:05 AM permalink
Didn't Cato want to break some windows like that?
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 7:56:01 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Didn't Cato want to break some windows like that?

Did they have glass windows back then?

One thing about regular history is that the technological state of the art is often overlooked unless it changes the course of history, like gunpowder did.
Doc
Doc
April 15th, 2013 at 8:56:31 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Did they have glass windows back then?

According to Wiki, "The history of creating glass can be traced back to 3500 BCE in Mesopotamia."

In any case, I was only suggesting that Cato may have had the opinion that glass, or Windows (8?) -- or at least something -- must be destroyed.
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 9:22:23 AM permalink

According to Wiki, "The history of creating glass can be traced back to 3500 BCE in Mesopotamia."

Sure. But there's glass and there's plate glass. Not to mention glass is so durable, when it doesn't break, it might as well be eternal. But when you find old artifacts, glass is conspicuously absent. So I guess it wasn't used much in ancient times.

Quote:

In any case, I was only suggesting that Cato may have had the opinion that glass, or Windows (8?) -- or at least something -- must be destroyed.

Oh, Cato was of the opinion that Carthage must be destroyed. Eventually it was. Of course, Rome did not hold a Third Punic war just because Cato kept insisting on it, but his reminders dind't hurt. I'm hoping to have some luck that way.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
April 15th, 2013 at 10:48:24 AM permalink
So I was just curious if the get-together on that Satirday was still planning on being held at Rhe Cheesecake Factory bi understand, Nareed, that you're the one planning this year's gathering. However might I suggest we all meet up at a restaurant that's more Vegas-like? I didn't want to feel like I'd be driving 4 and 1/2 hours to go eat at a restaurant that's right down the street from me. I understand that this get-together is for the purpose of us all getting to meet each other and have lunch but to me it seems if this is a once-a-year event that people are flying out to attend that we can maybe make it a place going to that seems worthwhile.

If the few people who are going to this year's event are wanting to go to The Cheesecake Factory and I'm the only one voicing my opinion on the matter then I'll go along with the plans if that's what everyone wants to do.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
April 15th, 2013 at 12:09:16 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

If the few people who are going to this year's event are wanting to go to The Cheesecake Factory and I'm the only one voicing my opinion on the matter then I'll go along with the plans if that's what everyone wants to do.

I'm just one vote, if it is even up to a vote, but I agree with HB here. There are Cheesecake Factories all over the place and I think a lot of us are bored with them.

I'd suggest the Hofbrauhaus or Tacos el Gordo. If we go with the latter, tacos de sesos will be on me.

Tacos el Gordo location near San Diego
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 12:32:38 PM permalink

I didn't want to feel like I'd be driving 4 and 1/2 hours to go eat at a restaurant that's right down the street from me.

The main thing is the size of the party. Other palces I looked at say nothing about large parties. I'm expecting a repeat of last year, with 15-17 poeple showing up. The Cheesecake Factory does acommodate large parties.

There's still time, though. If you have a suggestion I'd be happy to look it up. All I care about is a reasonable price, a reasonably quiet place (since we're there to meet and talk), and that it not be a seafood place.

I had thought of holding the lunch at the new buffet at Caesars, since it's supposed to be really good and the "trendy" thing right now. But I'm afraid it's going to be packed with long, long lines.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 15th, 2013 at 12:47:47 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm just one vote, if it is even up to a vote, but I agree with HB here. There are Cheesecake Factories all over the place and I think a lot of us are bored with them.

I'd suggest the Hofbrauhaus or Tacos el Gordo.

Nothing says Vegas like German and Mexican food. Lol
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 1:12:58 PM permalink

There are Cheesecake Factories all over the place and I think a lot of us are bored with them.

There are none in Mexico as far as I know.

Quote:

I'd suggest the Hofbrauhaus

I see there's one on paradise Rd. It would seem rather easy to get there from Downtown, too. I'm game for that, but we'd have to change the gaming venue afterwards, not that it matters.

Quote:

or Tacos el Gordo. If we go with the latter, tacos de sesos will be on me.

Just so everyone knows "sesos" means "brains." And it does mean tacos made with cow brains.

Next, I do have tacos available any time. But again I'd be willing (it just seems so ridiculous, but, meh). I assume we'd get to the one on the Strip near the Peppermill? And again we'd have to change the gaming venue, which still doesn't much matter.
Doc
Doc
April 15th, 2013 at 2:09:31 PM permalink

I'd suggest ... Tacos el Gordo.

That's not the Mexican restaurant that changed ownership and became a Guatemalan restaurant is it? Someone made some negative comments about that place....    :-)
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 2:23:13 PM permalink

That's not the Mexican restaurant that changed ownership and became a Guatemalan restaurant is it? Someone made some negative comments about that place....    :-)

I don't think so.

But ponder this quaint saying from Mexico City back in the 70s, should the Wizard be able to translate it: Estos tacos ladran cuando los muerdo :P
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 15th, 2013 at 3:18:22 PM permalink

Estos tacos ladran cuando los muerdo :P

Those tacos barked when I bit them.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 15th, 2013 at 3:30:37 PM permalink
I don't care much about where we eat; I do love Mexican though.

The only thing I really care about is being close to either the Strip or Downtown, since I won't have a car. If we go off-strip (and out-of-downtown) I may be looking to bum a ride from one of the car-renters.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 3:36:35 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

The only thing I really care about is being close to either the Strip or Downtown, since I won't have a car. If we go off-strip (and out-of-downtown) I may be looking to bum a ride from one of the car-renters.

Well, El Gordo is on the Strip, but if memory serves it's a Deuce stop just past the Wynncore.

The German place, according to a hasty search on googe maps, is near a stop on the 108 bus. That one shares a stop at the convention center with the SDX.

I'd favor El Gordo, followed by poker at the Wyncore.
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 3:38:02 PM permalink

Those tacos barked when I bit them.

Close enough.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 15th, 2013 at 5:26:44 PM permalink
I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to present this, now I can use it as a bump! I figure if anyone could confirm / deny this, it’d be the people here.

I heard that the size / configuration of our most advanced travel system to date, the space shuttle, is thanks to Imperial Rome. The argument goes like this…

The solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle are made off site and shipped in by rail. Due to this, the boosters must be sized appropriately so they can navigate rail lines (tunnels, bridges, etc).

Railroad gauge is 4’ 8.5”, which is quite an odd number. It is said that it is this gauge because the railroads were designed by English expatriates. They used this gauge because that was the gauge they had used in the pre-rail tramways.

The tramways were built using that gauge because they used the same jigs and tools used to build wagons, which were also set to those measurements.

Those wagons were set to that measurements because the old roads in England were rutted at that spacing; if they didn’t make them like that, the wheels would smash and get damaged.

And it goes on to say that those old rutted roads were formed by Roman war chariots.

Basically, the size of our shuttle was determined 2,000 years ago by the width of a horse.

Fact or fiction? =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 5:56:32 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Basically, the size of our shuttle was determined 2,000 years ago by the width of a horse.

No.

The size of the Shuttle was determined by a myriad factors. The width of railroads the least among them. You can always ship segments in many other ways, after all.
Doc
Doc
April 15th, 2013 at 9:07:54 PM permalink
I think having Nareed travel to Las Vegas to have Mexican food with a group of people she met on the internet is about as absurd as the original idea of having a WoVCon on a date that the Wizard will be in Europe.

I have never eaten at the Hofbrauhaus and wouldn't mind trying it out some time. Doesn't that make it a little awkward getting a group of us from lunch to a gaming facility? The Hard Rock is almost across the street, but I thought we were trying for some place with modest table minimums. Terrible's isn't very far away, but I don't know how folks feel about that option.

Months ago, I suggested the Burger Brasserie at ParisLV for lunch, allowing us to walk from there to most any place on center strip. I don't know whether a French-themed burger restaurant is too humdrum for folks or not, and I don't have any idea how well they can accommodate a crowd -- I've never been there with a group larger than two, but I think it might be possible.

Another possibility would be Margaritaville. It's also in roughly the middle of the strip, and the web site talks about handling groups. I don't know whether the noise level is compatible with a large group conversation -- I've never been there with a group larger than three.

I also have no objection to last week's plan of lunch/WoVCon at the Cheesecake Factory. I went to that one in the Forum Shops for late night dessert once, but I don't think I've ever had a full meal in one anywhere.
Nareed
Nareed
April 15th, 2013 at 9:27:50 PM permalink

I think having Nareed travel to Las Vegas to have Mexican food with a group of people she met on the internet is about as absurd as the original idea of having a WoVCon on a date that the Wizard will be in Europe.

well, it's not like I eat tacos every day, or even every month... in fact, I think the last time I ate tacos was at El Gordo last year, in Vegas. So I wouldn't mind.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 15th, 2013 at 10:21:37 PM permalink
Cow brains... I think I'll pass.

I like the idea of the Hofbrauhaus... Is it German-themed and the girls there dress in German costumes?
I also like Doc's idea of the Burger place at Paris, and also
MARGARITAVILLE!!! <3<3<3 I like fun places like that that's got a great theme and is unique. That's why I had my weigh-in celebration at Señor Frog's... That place was cool and they let me walk around in my bathing suit.

But I do like the idea of meeting at a place on the strip that's near a lot of other places and things to do. I don't play poker but I play blackjack, baccarat and thanks to PaiGowDan I play a little three-card poker. Ceasar's, Margaritaville, maybe even the Mirage all have some good places we can meet up. But I don't know if I like the idea of doing a buffet for the group meeting. I may bring a girlfriend or two of mine so it'll be extra fun :)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 15th, 2013 at 11:39:21 PM permalink
I love the Hofbrauhaus, but then again, I'm half German, so I can't help it. If you've never been, ... then you don't get out enough. The place is lots of fun and the food is great. The downside is that it is a block off the Strip, and the music is pretty loud, making it difficult to have a conversation.
Doc
Doc
April 16th, 2013 at 6:14:19 AM permalink

... and the music is pretty loud, making it difficult to have a conversation.

This would be my major concern for a WoVCon. I would prefer doing Hofbrauhaus a different time, though I really would like to try it. And you're partially right, Mike, I do get out a fair amount -- just to the same ol' - same ol' spots.
Nareed
Nareed
April 16th, 2013 at 6:46:35 AM permalink

The downside is that [..]the music is pretty loud, making it difficult to have a conversation.

By now I wonder how far I can stretch the ghost of old Cato...

How about noise levels at Margaritaville? The location is ratehr good, affording several gaming choices afterwards.
Doc
Doc
April 16th, 2013 at 6:57:49 AM permalink

How about noise levels at Margaritaville?

I only remember eating there twice. I think there was a lot of noise in the area right around the bar. I didn't have trouble conversing with the one or two people at the table with me, but I don't know how it would work with a group. As I noted yesterday, their web site talks about hosting group events, so I don't know whether they have separate (quieter?) areas for group gatherings. That seems as if it could be best checked out by someone local -- maybe someone is already familiar with it.
Nareed
Nareed
April 16th, 2013 at 7:27:44 AM permalink

I didn't have trouble conversing with the one or two people at the table with me, but I don't know how it would work with a group.

I'm guessing pretty much the same. In most large group tables you're confined to talking to the people nearest you anyway.

Quote:

As I noted yesterday, their web site talks about hosting group events, so I don't know whether they have separate (quieter?) areas for group gatherings. That seems as if it could be best checked out by someone local -- maybe someone is already familiar with it.

Great idea! any locals who might want to volunteer?
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 11:58:41 AM permalink
One place that I like a lot was Diablo's at Monte Carlo. That place is fun but it might be too loud if we're looking for a quiet place. Another restaurant that I liked was The Pub, also at Monte Carlo. That might be a good place for us all to meet.
Here's the link:The Pub at Monte Carlo

They have tons and tons of different beers and it's a nice place with standard food such as burgers, wings, salads, etc. Nice atmosphere and I think it overlooks the pool but I'm not sure.

Also, I want to see "Rock of Ages" at the Venetian when I'm there. If any local person can help a sister out with some tips on getting a good price on my ticket please let me know. Also if anyone would like to join me let's get tickets together!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 11:59:55 AM permalink
I paid $175 for my Phantom ticket! I don't think I want to spend that much this time.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 16th, 2013 at 12:29:35 PM permalink

One place that I like a lot was Diablo's at Monte Carlo. That place is fun but it might be too loud if we're looking for a quiet place. Another restaurant that I liked was The Pub, also at Monte Carlo. That might be a good place for us all to meet.
Here's the link:The Pub at Monte Carlo

They have tons and tons of different beers and it's a nice place with standard food such as burgers, wings, salads, etc. Nice atmosphere and I think it overlooks the pool but I'm not sure.

I hadn't thought about it until just now, but I would exhibit a slight preference toward a restaurant that accepts TR or MLife comps, as I have about $250 in comp dollars combined which I really want to liquidate on this trip. But, that shouldn't influence the whole group, just my vote.

Really, moving forward, I'm not sure what the best path is. We could potentially hold one more poll with each attendee given 3 votes, and a list of all of the various possibilities put forth. Then Nareed could take the top 3 vote-getters and investigate their friendliness to large groups, perhaps with an on-site consultant to investigate volume levels.

I would prefer to set up a poll on a 3rd party site and send the URL to confirmed attendees via PM. Not that I don't trust everyone on WoV, but I'm sure some non-attendees would see fit to troll our poll (say that a few times fast)...this is just my idea for coming to a good compromise. I'm also totally fine with Nareed exhibiting her infinite wisdom and making an executive decision based on the input here. I am not a picky eater and have actually never eaten at the Cheesecake Factory :)
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 12:45:58 PM permalink
I'm not quite sure it'll be possible to keep the meet-up private if we're going to take a poll on where we want to dine. But I do like the idea of a poll. I think we should set a deadline for various restaurant suggestions and then from there put it in a poll format. And just before posting a poll on it we should post a list on the suggestions first just so we can double check that all the places that are being suggested are all included on the list. But if we do the poll on the forum openly then anyone can vote so maybe that part would be better off done privately. We can also select the place by random, assigning a number to each place (1-10 for example) and then go to random.org and put in the number range then click and see which number it chooses. Idk, technically Nareed had taken it upon herself to be in charge of the event so we can just have her decide and she can call the restaurants for info and to make reservations.

And just so I'm clear, there was to be an event on Friday afternoon to play craps at MSS but at this point the only person planning on going to that is Nareed? Or there'll be others attending as well? I was planning on driving out that morning but maybe I'll wait until Saturday if no one's really getting together on Friday.

Nareed maybe you can post a tentative list of the dates and events planned with a list of names with each event as to who will be attending those events. Just a tentative list.
Doc
Doc
April 16th, 2013 at 12:57:22 PM permalink

And just so I'm clear, there was to be an event on Friday afternoon to play craps at MSS but at this point the only person planning on going to that is Nareed? Or there'll be others attending as well?

I definitely plan to be there, if someone decides on a time and lets me know. I think there were others who indicated interest. I will be arriving Wednesday evening and have nothing specific planned between then and boarding a plane on Monday morning except the WoVCon activities and riding around a bit picking up a few casino chips missing from my collection (Quad, Aliante w/o the "Station", and Alamo/TA).
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 16th, 2013 at 1:58:04 PM permalink

I definitely plan to be there, if someone decides on a time and lets me know. I think there were others who indicated interest. I will be arriving Wednesday evening and have nothing specific planned between then and boarding a plane on Monday morning except the WoVCon activities and riding around a bit picking up a few casino chips missing from my collection (Quad, Aliante w/o the "Station", and Alamo/TA).

I am planning on the Friday evening/afternoon craps session at MSS, as I mentioned earlier, pending bankroll considerations. I didn't want to commit earlier, but given the low limits and high odds available at MSS, I'll just say that it's 99% I'll be there :)
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 2:13:23 PM permalink

I am planning on the Friday evening/afternoon craps session at MSS, as I mentioned earlier, pending bankroll considerations. I didn't want to commit earlier, but given the low limits and high odds available at MSS, I'll just say that it's 99% I'll be there :)

Awesome. When earlier it sounded like you were backing out I had thought that even if you didn't want to play you would still have the option of joining and watching and just hanging out. And didn't you say you were down to join the "dark side" group? If you sit out and we win you might feel bad for participating. But then again if we lose then I'm sure you'll feel glad you didn't join in. And I don't think we need to have a separate table just to play the dark side. I'm assuming that suggestion was made so that we're not cheering while the pass line players are losing, but "tough titties" to them (as my mom would say). I feel bad sometimes when I play baccarat and I'm rooting when I win a hand when the other person(s) at the table chose the other option. But that's the nature of these types of games, I guess. But I'd never bet against a high roller on baccarat. High-roller baccarat players are extremely superstitious (from my humble observations) and if they lost tens of thousands they could become furious and blame me!! But I digress.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 16th, 2013 at 2:20:44 PM permalink

Awesome. When earlier it sounded like you were backing out I had thought that even if you didn't want to play you would still have the option of joining and watching and just hanging out. And didn't you say you were down to join the "dark side" group? If you sit out and we win you might feel bad for participating. But then again if we lose then I'm sure you'll feel glad you didn't join in. And I don't think we need to have a separate table just to play the dark side. I'm assuming that suggestion was made so that we're not cheering while the pass line players are losing, but "tough titties" to them (as my mom would say). I feel bad sometimes when I play baccarat and I'm rooting when I win a hand when the other person(s) at the table chose the other option. But that's the nature of these types of games, I guess. But I'd never bet against a high roller on baccarat. High-roller baccarat players are extremely superstitious (from my humble observations) and if they lost tens of thousands they could become furious and blame me!! But I digress.

If we play the dark side as a group, I would suggest we stick to the standard dark side behavioral decorum - no celebrations on 7-outs! However, on a come-out 7 (assuming you have some DC bets out there), feel free to yell and scream and high-five with the rest of the table!

We could even comically overplay it and maintain somber, church-like faces on 7-outs, but discreetly give each other low fives and discreet nods. This would be even funnier if we were the only people at the table and no one was playing the right way.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 5:02:54 PM permalink

If we play the dark side as a group, I would suggest we stick to the standard dark side behavioral decorum - no celebrations on 7-outs!

Well to be honest with you I don't want to play if there's going to be rules on how I should behave. I should be able to cheer just as loudly as anyone else who wins money. Not that I would rub my win in someone else's face who just lost their bet, I'm sure my conscious would allow me to naturally keep it at a minimum, but I'm kind of uncomfortable playing with rules on how I should or shouldn't act.

We could even comically overplay it and maintain somber, church-like faces on 7-outs, but discreetly give each other low fives and discreet nods. This would be even funnier if we were the only people at the table and no one was playing the right way.

Haha, now THAT would be funny! The table crew would be scratching their heads as to our odd behaviors, lol.
Nareed
Nareed
April 16th, 2013 at 6:13:32 PM permalink

Really, moving forward, I'm not sure what the best path is. We could potentially hold one more poll with each attendee given 3 votes, and a list of all of the various possibilities put forth. Then Nareed could take the top 3 vote-getters and investigate their friendliness to large groups, perhaps with an on-site consultant to investigate volume levels.

Given my current work load, I don't see how I possibly could find the time to do all that... But if you want to go ahead and organize lunch, please do so. Just don't change the date from May 25th. Right now I'd welcome that as an incredible relief.

Quote:

I'm also totally fine with Nareed exhibiting her infinite wisdom and making an executive decision based on the input here.

Or that. it's all good :P
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 6:42:17 PM permalink

Given my current work load, I don't see how I possibly could find the time to do all that... But if you want to go ahead and organize lunch, please do so. Just don't change the date from May 25th. Right now I'd welcome that as an incredible relief.

You took on the task of organizing this year's WoVCon and now you're passing the torch? :(
Nareed
Nareed
April 16th, 2013 at 7:28:58 PM permalink

You took on the task of organizing this year's WoVCon and now you're passing the torch? :(

Ain't life great? ;)

Seriously, I'll still plan it, but I can't do a complex poll for about two dozen people. Not with the regular 12-hour workdays I'm under right now.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 16th, 2013 at 9:19:50 PM permalink

Ain't life great? ;)

Seriously, I'll still plan it, but I can't do a complex poll for about two dozen people. Not with the regular 12-hour workdays I'm under right now.

How on earth do you have time for all of your Roman history research and postings then, lol?
If you're getting paid to post those things then please tell me where where I can apply! :)
Nareed
Nareed
April 16th, 2013 at 9:56:57 PM permalink

How on earth do you have time for all of your Roman history research and postings then, lol?

The postings take time I don't always have. The research doesn't. Not really. I spend a lot of time driving, and 99% of it I put to use with The History of Rome podcasts, the History of Byzantium podcasts, or Gibbon's audiobook edition of the History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. When I run out of that, I've an audiobook on Carthage in the queue, plus The History of Alexander and the History of Hannibal podcasts as well (though lately I'm taking a break by listening to Dr. Diana Hsieh's Exploring Atlas Shrugged, all 20 podcasts).

Unfortunately I can't surf the web and make up polls and look up restaurants while I'm driving.

Quote:

If you're getting paid to post those things then please tell me where where I can apply! :)

I wish!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
April 17th, 2013 at 12:09:52 AM permalink

The History of Rome podcasts, the History of Byzantium podcasts, or Gibbon's ... History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire...Carthage...The History of Alexander and the History of Hannibal

You are Will Cuppy reincarnated! They said that guy was utterly bored by recent history, obsessed with ancient history.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Decline-Fall-Practically-Everybody/dp/0879235144
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
April 17th, 2013 at 10:12:26 AM permalink
Right now I'm leaning towards Margaritaville. It's nicely located and near enough to CR and other casinos. Does anyone know whether they accept TR points?

More important: Any objections?
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 17th, 2013 at 10:49:49 AM permalink

Right now I'm leaning towards Margaritaville. It's nicely located and near enough to CR and other casinos. Does anyone know whether they accept TR points?

I like this idea. Even if it's a bit noisy I don't think it'll be too much of a problem since it sounds like most of us are going to hang out afterwards anyway. I think you can call the phone number on the back of your Total Rewards Card and someone should be able to answer your question for you. Since Margaritaville is part of the Flamingo we know it's part of Caesar's Entertainment Group, but you'd have to call to be sure. I actually really enjoyed the casino part of Margaritaville a whole lot and even met a really cute guy from New Jersey who sat down next to me at a Three-Card Poker table there.

Here's a pic of me and him outside at the Flamingo pool area:

Haha, not my best picture but I was a little bit tipsy there. Jimmy Buffet was in town and there was a whole outdoor party going on there. At one point I got up on stage and sang "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey to hundreds of people hanging out and partying there!

It'll be fun if we end up meeting at Margaritaville. Definitely my kind of place.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 17th, 2013 at 12:03:27 PM permalink

That sounds great to me!

I always thought any restaurant on the property of an EE casino took TR comps, but I guess that isn't the case since the Cheesecake Factory inside Caesar's doesn't. But, according to this thread from a couple years ago, it sounds like Margaritaville is safe. Again, this isn't a deal-breaker for me, just a preference. But I think this could work out well - nice center-strip, easily accessible location, lots of gaming options nearby.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
April 17th, 2013 at 12:07:25 PM permalink

Well to be honest with you I don't want to play if there's going to be rules on how I should behave. I should be able to cheer just as loudly as anyone else who wins money. Not that I would rub my win in someone else's face who just lost their bet, I'm sure my conscious would allow me to naturally keep it at a minimum, but I'm kind of uncomfortable playing with rules on how I should or shouldn't act.

Let me be completely clear that in no way am I attempting to impose any "rules" on a WoV gambling gathering, I'm just giving a friendly suggestion that abiding by the "unwritten rules" between light side and dark side players is generally a good thing. I mean, given the crowd at MSS, I don't think you bear any risk of being beaten up in the parking lot. You will probably just get the evil eye from elderly Asian retirees :).

Often times I've engaged in some friendly back-and-forth with the right-side players at the table, just good-natured ribbing. Usually this happens when I'm betting more than them, so if I'm losing they think it's hilarious, and if I'm winning, they know they're losing much less than I would be. It can be fun, but you have to be aware of the situation.

Seriously though, I don't care what you do. If you want to jump up and down and high-five or the seven out, I think it would be great.

Quote:

Haha, now THAT would be funny! The table crew would be scratching their heads as to our odd behaviors, lol.

I've seen it happen before, late late night at the Flamingo I was playing dark side with a super SUPER drunk middle-aged guy. He couldn't remember what amounts to lay behind his DP bet on the various points, the dealer had to tell him every time. Anyway we were making a killing, PSO after PSO, and various people were walking up and riding the cold streak. At one point there were 4 or 5 people all betting dark side, and I remarked to the pit, "wish I could take a picture of this layout!" And there was very little celebrating, it was amusing.
Nareed
Nareed
April 17th, 2013 at 1:21:53 PM permalink
Well, then, it seems it will be Margaritaville (I know there's some cultural reference in it, and the casino, but I've no idea what it is).

So, provisionally this is what's been planned:

Friday May 24th 2 pm craps at MSS Downtown, pass-line optional (time subject to change)

Saturday May 25th 12 pm lunch at Margaritaville (subject to change), followed most likely by craps at CR

That's it for now, which is 2/3 as much as we planned last year. I'm open to additional suggestions.

For my part, since I'll have a lot of days after that, I've done no planning yet. I'm thinking about taking a Hoover Dam tour on Tuesday May 28th, but that's about it.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 17th, 2013 at 1:30:41 PM permalink

Well, then, it seems it will be Margaritaville (I know there's some cultural reference in it, and the casino, but I've no idea what it is).

So, provisionally this is what's been planned:

Friday May 24th 2 pm craps at MSS Downtown, pass-line optional (time subject to change)

Saturday May 25th 12 pm lunch at Margaritaville (subject to change), followed most likely by craps at CR

That's it for now, which is 2/3 as much as we planned last year. I'm open to additional suggestions.

For my part, since I'll have a lot of days after that, I've done no planning yet. I'm thinking about taking a Hoover Dam tour on Tuesday May 28th, but that's about it.

Casino Royale is kind of junky. I'm guessing you're suggesting it due to the high odds limits on the craps table and low table minimums. I don't mind playing there but I'd like to play a little the casino portion of Margaritaville before moving on. But if I'm the only one wanting to do that I can just do whatever everyone wants to do and I can just go back there afterwards and play on my own.
Nareed
Nareed
April 17th, 2013 at 1:53:45 PM permalink

Casino Royale is kind of junky. I'm guessing you're suggesting it due to the high odds limits on the craps table and low table minimums.

Yes. Normally I woulnd't bet much above 3X odds anyway, but with a $3 minimum I'd like to try more. Say one or two $3+$30 bets, if I don't lose my nerve (it's different when it's your money on the table, you know).

Quote:

I don't mind playing there but I'd like to play a little the casino portion of Margaritaville before moving on. But if I'm the only one wanting to do that I can just do whatever everyone wants to do and I can just go back there afterwards and play on my own.

I like the Margaritaville casino, but have found no compelling games in it. Craps would be ok, except they usually have a $10 minimum.

Still, I don't mind if we play elsewhere afterwards. As it is the group may already be too big to keep together anyway. The idea of craps at CR is that it's the "best" game nearby, going by the views on this board, with enough space for most or all those who want to hang out while gambling.

In short, what matters is keeping all or most of the group together afterwards, the place and even the game is secondary to that.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
April 17th, 2013 at 2:00:36 PM permalink
Well, in my humble opinion, just because they offer $3 minimums at the table doesn't mean it's the best. I'm big on atmosphere and if its $10 minimum at a place next door that's way nicer then I'd rather play at a nicer place then somewhere that's dingy and attracting similar-type people. And honestly even $10 is not bad, or even $15. And since it'll be Memorial Day weekend you'll probably not find super cheap tables anyway. And not that I'm uppity or anything but cheap tables are going to attract cheap people and I don't have fun playing at a table with people who look like they just got off a bus from Hickville.
  • Jump to: