Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 6th, 2013 at 9:00:11 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Nared; sorry if I offended as well.

Thank you.

I wasn't offended this time considering the source and what has been said, but it did bother me a bit.

Quote:

But I'm with Face on this one. Among my peer group (all college educated)..quoting Poe( and we're from Baltimore) would get you called a "dork" or a "geek"...but it's a sign of respect for the intellect as much as anything else. So if I called your reference "dorky", it was truly not meant as an insult.

I just don't get that at all. I can't even come up with a simile to illustrate how wrong this feels to me.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 6th, 2013 at 10:57:47 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I just don't get that at all. I can't even come up with a simile to illustrate how wrong this feels to me.

That's why I suggested it may be a cultural difference. The worst names I've ever been called were by my closest friends. The only people that use "insults" against me are friends. If some new poster called me a derogatory name after I expressed my love for the Leafs, perhaps I'd be offended. But thecesspit and I have a positive posting history and a habit of ribbing each other over our terrible teams. If he were to do it (which he has), I'd laugh. About the only way I could be mad at him is if he got me so good I didn't have a comeback. But by loving the Lions, I'm pretty sure he's not smart enough to come up with something that good ;) (See? That's how friends "insult" each other =))

Quote: thecesspit

Which happens first? The Lions get to a Superbowl or the Leafs get to a Stanley Cup final?

That's like asking which happens first; AZDuffman is seen at an OWS rally or Nareed is seen wearing a Cowboys jersey =)

The Lions have shown the most promise recently, but I wonder if that was just one of those crazy flukes. Also, as I've said before, one of my all-time heroes is Barry Sanders. Even despite his play, he is IMO the mold of how a professional athlete should act on the field. While I naturally pull for the underdog and the Lions amazing season a few years back pleased me, I have to say I hope they suffer some sort of "Curse of Sanders" for the way they handled his final days.

The Leafs boggle me. Toronto, to me, is like the Mecca of hockey. The passion runs so deep. But their repeated and seemingly never ending mediocrity is beyond my explanation or comprehension. The should be the Patriots of hockey. But year after year, I'm stuck watching the Chiefs =/

With any luck, I've got 50 more years on this planet. Sad to say, I wouldn't guarantee I'll see either of these events. Right now, it's just willful, possibly futile hope.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 6th, 2013 at 11:04:26 AM permalink
The leafs need to give up their youth movement. When they won in 1967 the average age was 31, the oldest in Cup history.

Gee, 4 cups in 6 years and look at them now. Oh, how the once mighty have fallen.

It could be even worse if they were involved in a major sport.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2013 at 12:29:24 PM permalink
Quote: Face

That's why I suggested it may be a cultural difference. The worst names I've ever been called were by my closest friends.

I still don't get it. And it's personal.

I do engage in sarcasm, irony and the like, but it's always directed at things, institutions, public figures (in particular politicians), sports teams and such. Never at some specific private person, and much less at a friend. For intance, when the Wizard recently said something that denoted, to me, ignorance in science and history (not to mention the history of science), I responded by suggesting he should sue his teachers and use his post as evidence.

Now, I do understand that's a way of calling someone ignorant. But the barb is not directed at him, not straight at him anyway. And I'm not actually calling him names.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 6th, 2013 at 1:20:50 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I still don't get it. And it's personal.

I understand. I've no issue with you not "getting it', nor am I insisting that you must. I was only hoping to shed some light and show you that many people do insult friends in a joking manner to hopefully alleiviate any future issues. Since it is so common for many of us, someone in the future may get comfortable with you, joke in this manner, and not realize your position on it.

I was just hoping to possibly avoid this issue in the future and thought some understanding would help =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
February 6th, 2013 at 1:40:10 PM permalink
I have noticed the people who called me a nerd and a geek in high school serving me my burger, fries and shake more than once....
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2013 at 2:22:19 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I was only hoping to shed some light and show you that many people do insult friends in a joking manner to hopefully alleiviate any future issues.

I know people do that. Isaac Asimov used to say about his friend Lester Del Rey "He'd give me the shirt off his back, but not a kind word."

BTW, I suppose all your previous posts mean, in part, that no one will get the reference to Sulla missing Constantine by almost half a millennium? Granted without recent exposure, it may be kind of obscure.

• Jump to: