FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
February 4th, 2013 at 12:56:25 PM permalink
I couldn't be happier for the Ravens and for Charm City! What a blessing this is to good old B'More! Sorry to brag and start a thread without much content but I just can't contain myself - way to go Ray-vens!!!
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
February 4th, 2013 at 1:07:57 PM permalink
As a fellow Baltimoron I couldn't agree more!! Caw Caw. Sorry Nared...no I'm not.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 4th, 2013 at 2:36:21 PM permalink
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Excuse me.

Get back to me when the former Cleveland Browns win 6 Super Bowls.

See, winning two Super Bowls in 12 years only makes the Ravens better than the Jets.

In the meantime, how about getting some fans together to chip in for a bust of Pallas to give to the Niners as a consolation gift?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 4th, 2013 at 3:43:57 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

... way to go Ray-vens!!!

Yes, I watched the Ravens win the Super Bowl. But in my feeble memory, the Baltimore football team is called the Colts.
toastcmu
toastcmu
  • Threads: 17
February 4th, 2013 at 6:16:12 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Yes, I watched the Ravens win the Super Bowl. But in my feeble memory, the Baltimore football team is called the Colts.

Unfortunately, those true Baltimorans won't utter that name or use Mayflower moving.... :)

-B
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 7:38:31 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In the meantime, how about getting some fans together to chip in for a bust of Pallas to give to the Niners as a consolation gift?

No one?
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 5th, 2013 at 8:42:50 AM permalink

No one?

It would have to be a pretty pallid bust of Pallas.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
vendman1
vendman1
February 5th, 2013 at 8:45:52 AM permalink

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Excuse me.

Get back to me when the former Cleveland Browns win 6 Super Bowls.

See, winning two Super Bowls in 12 years only makes the Ravens better than the Jets.

Didn't understand the Pallas reference....I mean I understand who Pallas is but why a bust for the Niners?
teddys
teddys
February 5th, 2013 at 8:49:31 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Didn't understand the Pallas reference....I mean I understand who Pallas is but why a bust for the Niners?

Nareed is just being a literary dork ;) The Raven.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 5th, 2013 at 8:57:53 AM permalink
Really pissed me off when the Indiana Hoosiers would talk about Manning breaking Johnny Unitas's franchise record.

Johnny U played for the COLTS ! ! !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
vendman1
vendman1
February 5th, 2013 at 8:58:38 AM permalink
Ahhh Thank you Teddy. I've read the Raven before, and I remembered the part about the bust....but forgot it was a Bust of Pallas. Pretty dorky reference I agree.
By the way after Googling "Pallas" (i always thought it was spelled Phallas). I now realize why mythology bores me.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 1:46:29 PM permalink
Oh, well:

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!
Buzzard
Buzzard
February 5th, 2013 at 2:19:17 PM permalink
But what # street car used to ride by Edgar Allen Poe's graveyard ? That is the question.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 5th, 2013 at 2:58:16 PM permalink
There was just too much overwhelming support for SF for them to win. 70-80% of people were rooting for them country wide which told me they were going to lose just based on how things normally go when you bet against the crowd. I did enjoy watching my loyal SF fan friend have a nervous breakdown. I myself am a semi-loyal Browns fan, since it is clear the Browns have no financial incentive to ever win and there is more money in it for them to lose.
I am a robot.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 3:25:39 PM permalink
BTW:

Dork: Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit.

So, please someone explain how that fits a simple literary reference?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 5th, 2013 at 4:01:14 PM permalink

BTW:

Dork: Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit.

So, please someone explain how that fits a simple literary reference?

I know you took offense at something similar before (or maybe this exact thing). I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing, but words such as dork, nerd, geek are often thrown around between friends, usually after something exceedingly brainy has been said. I know you probably don't follow my fishing thread on DT, but I often use the Latin genus/species names for things, and also occasionally do so in real life. Almost always, I get called a nerd for it. It's almost certainly not meant as an offensive put down, but rather as a ribbing between friends.

I would definitely consider you a literary nerd, and would say so, and that statement wouldn't contain even a molecule of negativity =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
February 5th, 2013 at 4:16:34 PM permalink
Somehow I missed the people in Baltimore Complaining this week that the Colts left town. Nobody cares anymore.
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 5:14:15 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing,

It's a personal thing. I'm offended by the use of such terms.

Quote:

but words such as dork, nerd, geek are often thrown around between friends,

I don't think it's firendly to keep on using such terms if you know the person on the receiving end regards them as offensive. That's needling at best, and obnoxiousness at worst.

Quote:

usually after something exceedingly brainy has been said.

What's exceedingly brainy about something like citing a repeating motiff from a well-known poem?

Quote:

I would definitely consider you a literary nerd, and would say so, and that statement wouldn't contain even a molecule of negativity =)

Read above.
teddys
teddys
February 5th, 2013 at 5:29:19 PM permalink
[deleted]
Face
Administrator
Face
February 5th, 2013 at 5:42:43 PM permalink
Sorry you take it as offensive, I'll try and remember for the future. I was just trying to explain its usage.

Some find things like your reference to Poe, or your in depth stuff about the Roman Empire in your WovCon updates (or your Rome/football mash up, that was hilarious =)) as “exceedingly brainy” I’d bet 0% of my personal peer group would have gotten the Pallus reference, nor would’ve been able to laugh along with the Rome/football thing. Your literary knowledge is much greater than average. To them, and indeed to me, that’s “brainy” ie above average.
vendman1
vendman1
February 5th, 2013 at 5:49:00 PM permalink
Nared; sorry if I offended as well. But I'm with Face on this one. Among my peer group (all college educated)..quoting Poe( and we're from Baltimore) would get you called a "dork" or a "geek"...but it's a sign of respect for the intellect as much as anything else. So if I called your reference "dorky", it was truly not meant as an insult.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
February 5th, 2013 at 7:25:46 PM permalink
I find myself sighing and rolling my eyes for the umpteenth time at the direction a thread has taken. Congrats Ravens fans on your championship. Some day my beloved Dolphins may again ascend to the top of the mountain.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Face
Administrator
Face
February 5th, 2013 at 7:27:53 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

Some day my beloved Dolphins may again ascend to the top of the mountain.

Been waiting since '84. I fear the wait is going to be quite a bit longer =(
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
February 5th, 2013 at 7:32:05 PM permalink
Alas, I believe you are quite correct my friend.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Face
Administrator
Face
February 5th, 2013 at 7:38:08 PM permalink
Inb4 thecesspit rags me further on my pick of favorite sports teams ;)
Nareed
Nareed
February 5th, 2013 at 8:55:30 PM permalink

Some find things like your reference to Poe,

Do you want to know where I first heard (not read) "The Raven"? In an early Halloween episode of "The Simpson's." Seriously. The bust of Pallas gets repeated often,a s the place the raven chooses as a perch.

Now, given the team currently inhabiting Baltimore is named after Poe's poem, and that the poem ends with depression and despair, well, it's obvious.

Quote:

or your in depth stuff about the Roman Empire in your WovCon updates

I've been listening to The History of Rome podcasts for weeks. I've wanted to talk about Rome since then. But since I was verbally assaulted and worse just for recommending the podcasts, I had to find another way. The question is "what's particularly "brainy" about repeating a few historical tidbits?"

Quote:

(or your Rome/football mash up, that was hilarious =))

Thank you. That, at least, took some thought (though I messed up the Punic War despite having brothers to work with...). The thing is when you delve into history of any kind, but perhaps more so with ancient history, you find people of any given period were very similar to modern people in many respects. Yet there are some cultural differences that are just shocking (and sometimes I fantasize how shocked ancient Romans would be if they could learn about us, but that's another topic).

Quote:

Your literary knowledge is much greater than average.

I don't know about that. I'm not what you'd call "well-read" by any measure, except in some areas of science fiction (I do consider myself an expert in the works of Isaac Asimov.
Face
Administrator
Face
February 5th, 2013 at 10:22:51 PM permalink

The question is "what's particularly "brainy" about repeating a few historical tidbits?"

You have to remember that the group that makes up WoV isn't what I'd consider your "average American". You may joke about discovering Poe from The Simpsons, but I know plenty of people (a majority, actually) whose only exposure to literature is pop culture. There's 50-ish people in my "inner circle" (family, co-workers, close friends); I'd guess 2 maybe 3 of them would understand your posts in question.

Why do you think I'm here so much? It's the only place I can find stimulating conversation =p
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 5th, 2013 at 11:18:12 PM permalink

Inb4 thecesspit rags me further on my pick of favorite sports teams ;)

Which happens first? The Lions get to a Superbowl or the Leafs get to a Stanley Cup final?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
vendman1
vendman1
February 6th, 2013 at 8:05:36 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Which happens first? The Lions get to a Superbowl or the Leafs get to a Stanley Cup final?

Aren't those both signs of the apocalypse?
Buzzard
Buzzard
February 6th, 2013 at 8:10:52 AM permalink
The lions last won it all back in 1957. Back then I looked forward to Lions-Packers playing every Thanksgiving. But then that crybaby
Vince Lombardi decided it wasn't fair !
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2013 at 9:00:11 AM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Nared; sorry if I offended as well.

Thank you.

I wasn't offended this time considering the source and what has been said, but it did bother me a bit.

Quote:

But I'm with Face on this one. Among my peer group (all college educated)..quoting Poe( and we're from Baltimore) would get you called a "dork" or a "geek"...but it's a sign of respect for the intellect as much as anything else. So if I called your reference "dorky", it was truly not meant as an insult.

I just don't get that at all. I can't even come up with a simile to illustrate how wrong this feels to me.
Face
Administrator
Face
February 6th, 2013 at 10:57:47 AM permalink

I just don't get that at all. I can't even come up with a simile to illustrate how wrong this feels to me.

That's why I suggested it may be a cultural difference. The worst names I've ever been called were by my closest friends. The only people that use "insults" against me are friends. If some new poster called me a derogatory name after I expressed my love for the Leafs, perhaps I'd be offended. But thecesspit and I have a positive posting history and a habit of ribbing each other over our terrible teams. If he were to do it (which he has), I'd laugh. About the only way I could be mad at him is if he got me so good I didn't have a comeback. But by loving the Lions, I'm pretty sure he's not smart enough to come up with something that good ;) (See? That's how friends "insult" each other =))

Quote: thecesspit

That's like asking which happens first; AZDuffman is seen at an OWS rally or Nareed is seen wearing a Cowboys jersey =)

The Lions have shown the most promise recently, but I wonder if that was just one of those crazy flukes. Also, as I've said before, one of my all-time heroes is Barry Sanders. Even despite his play, he is IMO the mold of how a professional athlete should act on the field. While I naturally pull for the underdog and the Lions amazing season a few years back pleased me, I have to say I hope they suffer some sort of "Curse of Sanders" for the way they handled his final days.

The Leafs boggle me. Toronto, to me, is like the Mecca of hockey. The passion runs so deep. But their repeated and seemingly never ending mediocrity is beyond my explanation or comprehension. The should be the Patriots of hockey. But year after year, I'm stuck watching the Chiefs =/

With any luck, I've got 50 more years on this planet. Sad to say, I wouldn't guarantee I'll see either of these events. Right now, it's just willful, possibly futile hope.
Buzzard
Buzzard
February 6th, 2013 at 11:04:26 AM permalink
The leafs need to give up their youth movement. When they won in 1967 the average age was 31, the oldest in Cup history.

Gee, 4 cups in 6 years and look at them now. Oh, how the once mighty have fallen.

It could be even worse if they were involved in a major sport.
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2013 at 12:29:24 PM permalink

That's why I suggested it may be a cultural difference. The worst names I've ever been called were by my closest friends.

I still don't get it. And it's personal.

I do engage in sarcasm, irony and the like, but it's always directed at things, institutions, public figures (in particular politicians), sports teams and such. Never at some specific private person, and much less at a friend. For intance, when the Wizard recently said something that denoted, to me, ignorance in science and history (not to mention the history of science), I responded by suggesting he should sue his teachers and use his post as evidence.

Now, I do understand that's a way of calling someone ignorant. But the barb is not directed at him, not straight at him anyway. And I'm not actually calling him names.
Face
Administrator
Face
February 6th, 2013 at 1:20:50 PM permalink

I still don't get it. And it's personal.

I understand. I've no issue with you not "getting it', nor am I insisting that you must. I was only hoping to shed some light and show you that many people do insult friends in a joking manner to hopefully alleiviate any future issues. Since it is so common for many of us, someone in the future may get comfortable with you, joke in this manner, and not realize your position on it.

I was just hoping to possibly avoid this issue in the future and thought some understanding would help =)
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
February 6th, 2013 at 1:40:10 PM permalink
I have noticed the people who called me a nerd and a geek in high school serving me my burger, fries and shake more than once....
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Nareed
Nareed
February 6th, 2013 at 2:22:19 PM permalink

I was only hoping to shed some light and show you that many people do insult friends in a joking manner to hopefully alleiviate any future issues.

I know people do that. Isaac Asimov used to say about his friend Lester Del Rey "He'd give me the shirt off his back, but not a kind word."

BTW, I suppose all your previous posts mean, in part, that no one will get the reference to Sulla missing Constantine by almost half a millennium? Granted without recent exposure, it may be kind of obscure.
  • Jump to: