vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
February 5th, 2013 at 5:49:00 PM permalink
Nared; sorry if I offended as well. But I'm with Face on this one. Among my peer group (all college educated)..quoting Poe( and we're from Baltimore) would get you called a "dork" or a "geek"...but it's a sign of respect for the intellect as much as anything else. So if I called your reference "dorky", it was truly not meant as an insult.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
February 5th, 2013 at 7:25:46 PM permalink
I find myself sighing and rolling my eyes for the umpteenth time at the direction a thread has taken. Congrats Ravens fans on your championship. Some day my beloved Dolphins may again ascend to the top of the mountain.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 5th, 2013 at 7:27:53 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

Some day my beloved Dolphins may again ascend to the top of the mountain.

Been waiting since '84. I fear the wait is going to be quite a bit longer =(
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
February 5th, 2013 at 7:32:05 PM permalink
Alas, I believe you are quite correct my friend.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Face
Administrator
Face
February 5th, 2013 at 7:38:08 PM permalink
Inb4 thecesspit rags me further on my pick of favorite sports teams ;)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 5th, 2013 at 8:55:30 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Some find things like your reference to Poe,

Do you want to know where I first heard (not read) "The Raven"? In an early Halloween episode of "The Simpson's." Seriously. The bust of Pallas gets repeated often,a s the place the raven chooses as a perch.

Now, given the team currently inhabiting Baltimore is named after Poe's poem, and that the poem ends with depression and despair, well, it's obvious.

Quote:

or your in depth stuff about the Roman Empire in your WovCon updates

I've been listening to The History of Rome podcasts for weeks. I've wanted to talk about Rome since then. But since I was verbally assaulted and worse just for recommending the podcasts, I had to find another way. The question is "what's particularly "brainy" about repeating a few historical tidbits?"

Quote:

(or your Rome/football mash up, that was hilarious =))

Thank you. That, at least, took some thought (though I messed up the Punic War despite having brothers to work with...). The thing is when you delve into history of any kind, but perhaps more so with ancient history, you find people of any given period were very similar to modern people in many respects. Yet there are some cultural differences that are just shocking (and sometimes I fantasize how shocked ancient Romans would be if they could learn about us, but that's another topic).

Quote:

Your literary knowledge is much greater than average.

I don't know about that. I'm not what you'd call "well-read" by any measure, except in some areas of science fiction (I do consider myself an expert in the works of Isaac Asimov.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
February 5th, 2013 at 10:22:51 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The question is "what's particularly "brainy" about repeating a few historical tidbits?"

You have to remember that the group that makes up WoV isn't what I'd consider your "average American". You may joke about discovering Poe from The Simpsons, but I know plenty of people (a majority, actually) whose only exposure to literature is pop culture. There's 50-ish people in my "inner circle" (family, co-workers, close friends); I'd guess 2 maybe 3 of them would understand your posts in question.

Why do you think I'm here so much? It's the only place I can find stimulating conversation =p
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 5th, 2013 at 11:18:12 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Inb4 thecesspit rags me further on my pick of favorite sports teams ;)

Which happens first? The Lions get to a Superbowl or the Leafs get to a Stanley Cup final?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
February 6th, 2013 at 8:05:36 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Which happens first? The Lions get to a Superbowl or the Leafs get to a Stanley Cup final?

Aren't those both signs of the apocalypse?
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 6th, 2013 at 8:10:52 AM permalink
The lions last won it all back in 1957. Back then I looked forward to Lions-Packers playing every Thanksgiving. But then that crybaby
Vince Lombardi decided it wasn't fair !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

• Jump to: