sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 63
January 16th, 2013 at 2:17:52 PM permalink
This is one of the craziest stories I have ever read. Do yourself a favor and read all the way to the end.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax
kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
January 16th, 2013 at 3:19:17 PM permalink
Its a cover up for him being gay in the Mormon church.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 63
January 16th, 2013 at 3:28:41 PM permalink
Quote: kmumf

Its a cover up for him being gay in the Mormon church.

that sure seems like a likely explanation.

Teo put out a statement just before saying he was a victim of the hoax, but from the deadspin story, it's pretty clear he was in on it.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 16th, 2013 at 4:24:42 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

that sure seems like a likely explanation.

Teo put out a statement just before saying he was a victim of the hoax, but from the deadspin story, it's pretty clear he was in on it.

If he was the victim of a hoax, he lied several times early in the season by saying he met "her" in person. The only possible outcomes are that either he was in on it from the beginning, or he really was a victim, and lied several times about meeting her to save face about being in such a serious online-only relationship.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 16th, 2013 at 4:26:40 PM permalink
As little as I recall, wasn't she always referred to as his girlfriend? This one REALLY smells....
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 178
January 16th, 2013 at 4:39:00 PM permalink
I remember hearing early in the story that she wasn't his "girlfriend", but a really close friend; that very quickly changed to girlfriend.

I don't think there are many explanations available that aren't really strange.

If he's a gay Mormon athlete at Notre Dame (who knows, no evidence either way), then he's got the deck pretty well stacked against him... on the other hand, he might be the guy who breaks the ice. My daughter is very active in trying to change ND's stance on gay issues. It is a tough uphill battle when the university is duty bound to hold the position it does, but by that measure any small victory is heartening. She's in his class, graduating this May, but I don't think they've ever met. If he's in the closet, he's in deep, I guarantee it.
NO KILL I
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 16th, 2013 at 4:41:41 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

If he's in the closet, he's in deep, I guarantee it.

If he is in the closet, that door is about to swing wide open.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
January 16th, 2013 at 5:07:17 PM permalink
What, a gay football player?

Say it isn't so!

Sort of gives new meaning to "Go deep!"
"What, me worry?"
kewlj
kewlj 
  • Threads: 187
January 16th, 2013 at 5:14:38 PM permalink
This story smells bad. Breaking big time right now on major networks, so it won't take long to get to the bottom of it. My initial thoughts are it was all about publicity to benefit Te'o. His statements today that he is the victim is not credible. Not sure how you guys made the leap to him being gay though. Did I miss something?
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
Thanks for this post from:
KennedyTeagan
January 16th, 2013 at 5:18:36 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

What, a gay football player?

Say it isn't so!

Sort of gives new meaning to "Go deep!"

Glad you did not say Tight End.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

• Jump to: