Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 13th, 2012 at 11:00:45 AM permalink
The Geminids are peaking at the reasonable hours of between midnight and 2AM (reasonable for meteor showers, anyhow). There is also the possibility that they will coincide with another, rare, meteor shower, from Comet Wirtanen. The combined comets could produce over 100 meteors per hour. There will also be prime viewing conditions: a new moon, and clear skies will prevail for most of the country.

If it works out, this could be a once in a lifetime event for people who have never seen an intense meteor shower. If you have seen one, you will never, ever forget it. I was fortunate enough to see the Leonid shower of about 10 years ago, where there were dozens of starbursts and meteor rains. There is really nothing like it. Find somewhere away from the city, allow 20 minutes for your eyes to adjust, and look at the sky.
A falling knife has no handle.
superrick
superrick
  • Threads: 28
December 13th, 2012 at 12:17:35 PM permalink
With the rain in Vegas tonight this show will be dark . As a amateur meteorite hunter, most if not all of these meteorites will never make it to earth. They will burn up as they are coming through the atmosphere!

If it wasn’t raining in Vegas it would have been a great show to see, anywhere out in the desert!
Note, all my post start with this is just my opinion...! You do good brada ..! superrick Winning comes from knowledge and skill when your betting and not reading fiction http://procraps4u2.myfanforum.org/index.php ...
Mosca
Mosca
December 13th, 2012 at 3:08:02 PM permalink
I'm envious of my sister and her husband, they are going to be at the Mauna Loa observatory.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 13th, 2012 at 3:15:01 PM permalink
All meteorites make it to the earth's surface. Why is that?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
December 13th, 2012 at 3:27:31 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Do not. Some strike the other surfaces!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 13th, 2012 at 3:58:52 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

The Geminids are peaking at the reasonable hours of between midnight and 2AM (reasonable for meteor showers, anyhow). There is also the possibility that they will coincide with another, rare, meteor shower, from Comet Wirtanen. The combined comets could produce over 100 meteors per hour. There will also be prime viewing conditions: a new moon, and clear skies will prevail for most of the country.

If it works out, this could be a once in a lifetime event for people who have never seen an intense meteor shower. If you have seen one, you will never, ever forget it. I was fortunate enough to see the Leonid shower of about 10 years ago, where there were dozens of starbursts and meteor rains. There is really nothing like it. Find somewhere away from the city, allow 20 minutes for your eyes to adjust, and look at the sky.

I've always wondered about the mechanics behind this.
Are the meteors always "floating" in this area of space, and the Earth passes through them, like a car driving under an oak tree getting hit by some nuts?

Or, are the meteors spread out around the Sun in a "ring" (like Saturn's), that the Earth passes through annually?

Or, is a "flock" of meteors orbiting the Sun that happen to intersect the Earth from time to time, like migrating pelicans crapping on Louisiana on their way to South America?

Or, is it something else entirely?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mosca
Mosca
December 13th, 2012 at 4:21:41 PM permalink
Comets leave trails of dust, ice, and debris. As the earth revolves around the sun, it passes through some of these trails, and gravity pulls some of the debris to earth. Anything that actually makes it to the ground becomes a meteorite.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
December 13th, 2012 at 4:25:04 PM permalink

Because of the definition of meteorite.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
December 13th, 2012 at 4:27:35 PM permalink
Looks like you could take blue diamond west up the mountain and get a good view according to the radar right now.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/weather
aahigh.com
Mosca
Mosca
December 13th, 2012 at 4:54:56 PM permalink

the -ite suffix makes it a rock, formed from a meteor.
boymimbo
boymimbo
December 13th, 2012 at 5:28:43 PM permalink
Ding!

Meteoroids (the actual objects in space) -> Meteors (what you see) -> Meteorites (if they hit the ground and survive).

Meteoroids are assoicated with remnants of comet paths. As the earth passes through the path of the (hopefully extinct) comet, it experiences the meteor shower.

I'll be watching.
superrick
superrick
  • Threads: 28
December 13th, 2012 at 5:38:44 PM permalink
You are looking at a meteor shower when you see them in the sky. Once a meteoroid reaches the ground and survives impact it is called a meteorite! Most never make it to earth.

Your chance of finding one is slim to none. We spend hours looking for them. Even if you know what you are looking for you may never find one.

Here is one of the videos I have made about looking for meteorites. Every one of those rocks could be a meteorite, while we did not find any on this day, this should give you some idea of what someone is up against when they are hunting meteorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcF8Nm1bQ18

Here is a video of a find in Gold Basin Arizona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=HFi4E_jomTc&feature=endscreen
Note, all my post start with this is just my opinion...! You do good brada ..! superrick Winning comes from knowledge and skill when your betting and not reading fiction http://procraps4u2.myfanforum.org/index.php ...
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
December 13th, 2012 at 5:41:42 PM permalink

Ding!

Meteoroids (the actual objects in space) -> Meteors (what you see) -> Meteorites (if they hit the ground and survive).

Meteoroids are assoicated with remnants of comet paths. As the earth passes through the path of the (hopefully extinct) comet, it experiences the meteor shower.

I'll be watching.

So, if I could "see" it from a point somewhere in space, the "remnants" would look like a "tube" shaped cloud of dust and debris orbiting the sun, like the track around the infield at the Daytona Speedway, and the Earth would be like a maintenance truck cutting across the track to suck up debris?
boymimbo
boymimbo
December 13th, 2012 at 6:30:00 PM permalink
The tube would be elliptical.

The Geminids (tonight's major shower) is first noted in 1862, but the source of tonight's Geminids is apparently a parent asteroid (3200 Phaethon) 5km in diameter. Tonight's source for the meteor shower is not well understood.

Read about it here.
Mosca
Mosca
December 13th, 2012 at 6:32:56 PM permalink
I just stepped outside for a moment to get something out of my car. It is INCREDIBLY clear and dark (and cold) here in The Poconos. I looked up and a meteorite brighter than any star in the sky streaked across almost a complete quadrant... FOUR HOURS before peak, estimated to be about 1AM local time. This is going to be a good one.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
December 14th, 2012 at 8:56:41 AM permalink
I saw some in Southern California at about 11:30. One was a bright red. Very cool!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 14th, 2012 at 9:54:42 AM permalink
I've been watching the sky all week and have been getting a great show. I watched last night over the ocean and was not disappointed. I have a couple of questions for our resident astronomers. Is it common to see multiple meteors at the same time as I did or was that unique to this event? The meteors seemed to descend at different angles, some vertically, some almost horizontally and everywhere in between. Is that possible or was it an optical illusion? It was difficult to see them all especially the ones in my peripheral vision.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Mosca
Mosca
December 14th, 2012 at 11:26:18 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I've been watching the sky all week and have been getting a great show. I watched last night over the ocean and was not disappointed. I have a couple of questions for our resident astronomers. Is it common to see multiple meteors at the same as I did or was that unique to this event? The meteors seemed to descend at different angles, some vertically, some almost horizontally and everywhere in between. Is that possible or was it an optical illusion? It was difficult to see them all especially the ones in my peripheral vision.

Excellent!

We couldn't get far enough away from light pollution, and saw 75ish in an hour and a half. We only saw one "storm" (multiple meteors) of four in parallel. Here in NE PA it was meteor, meteor, wait 5 minutes, meteormeteormeteor, wait a minute, meteor, wait a couple minutes...

The Leonids of 1998 was like what you're describing. We got way out in the country, and for about an hour it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, with multiple meteors streaking; some parallel, some at different angles, and several times we saw bursts, where a meteor is coming right at you and then breaks up.

Boyimbo, thanks for the link, that was really good to know.
  • Jump to: