November 5th, 2012 at 9:14:19 AM permalink
Everyone likes a good air show.

Aviation Nation
"What, me worry?"
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 5th, 2012 at 10:40:24 AM permalink
Not exactly everybody>>>> The worst air-show crash in history, says The Daily Beast, was at the Ramstein air base in Germany in 1988 when the Italian air force team, Frecce Tricolori, flying a stunt called "the pierced heart," ended with three of the jets colliding and slicing through a crowd of spectators, killing 70 and seriously injuring 346 others.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 5th, 2012 at 11:32:39 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Not exactly everybody>>>> The worst air-show crash in history, says The Daily Beast, was at the Ramstein air base in Germany in 1988 when the Italian air force team, Frecce Tricolori, flying a stunt called "the pierced heart," ended with three of the jets colliding and slicing through a crowd of spectators, killing 70 and seriously injuring 346 others.

That video is on the internet. It is terrifying.

I love air shows, I remember my first one from the early '60s. I've probably been to 30 or 40 in my life. I used to get VIP tickets to the NE PA Army Air Force show, seats right on the runway and a tent with free food and beer, but when they redesigned the airport the air space rating changed and there is no show any more. Now the closest is a great one, the Reading World War 2 Weekend show, but that is a hard weekend for me to get away for, 4 of the past 5 years we've gone on vacation then. I would HIGHLY recommend that show for history buffs. It is 3 days, and it is freakin' incredible. Check the website, even if you don't go.
A falling knife has no handle.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 5th, 2012 at 11:36:21 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

My mom's family lives near there. But I still go to air shows here! I call it "Our tax dollars at play." I love the sound and don't mind the smell.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 5th, 2012 at 2:19:43 PM permalink
Airshows in the USA are usually planned so the "scatter pattern" avoids spectators but one can never be sure.

Often the most dangerous flight is always after an air show.

Acrobatics takes a special endorsement on a license and the airplane.

Most small planes are designed for several more "g"s than an airliner is designed to withstand.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 5th, 2012 at 2:53:56 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Airshows in the USA are usually planned so the "scatter pattern" avoids spectators but one can never be sure.

The one I went to in September had the Blue Angels flying over the crowd at times. This was in the same city where this happened Easter weekend:

The photo was taken by a student at my sons' school!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 5th, 2012 at 2:55:39 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Aviation Nation

No B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber? They would never have it on the ground but a flyover would be nice. Another one of my favorites that I didn't see in the program is the Osprey helicopter used primarily but not exclusively by the Marine Corps.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
November 5th, 2012 at 3:01:26 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Aviation Nation

No B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber? They would never have it on the ground but a flyover would be nice. Another one of my favorites that I didn't see in the program is the Osprey helicopter used primarily but not exclusively by the Marine Corp.

One of my favorites is the Harrier. VTOL rocks!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 5th, 2012 at 3:22:11 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Aviation Nation

No B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber? They would never have it on the ground but a flyover would be nice. Another one of my favorites that I didn't see in the program is the Osprey helicopter used primarily but not exclusively by the Marine Corp.

One of my favorites is the Harrier. VTOL rocks!

Yes, yes the Jump Jet. Straight up and straight down. Just awesome!
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 5th, 2012 at 3:45:39 PM permalink
Oh hell, now I want to go to an air show.

A few years ago there was an F-104 Starfighter demonstration team making the circuit; I don't know if they are still around, I know I can Google it and find out. I've always wanted to see that plane, that team, I've read that the show they put on is great. If I recall, they set a speed record for sea level flight; not bad for a 50 year old design. Lockheed was (and is) always ahead of their time.

Edited to add what I found about the speed record; I knew it was something remarkable, but I was hazy on the circumstances:

Quote:

Lockheed test pilot Darryl Greenamyer built a F-104 out of parts he had collected. The aircraft, N104RB, first flew in 1976. On 2 October 1976, trying to set a new low-altitude 3-km speed record, Greenamyer averaged 1,010 mph at Mud Lake near Tonopah, Nevada. A tracking camera malfunction eliminated the necessary proof for the official record. On 24 October 1977 Greenamyer flew a 3 km official FAI record flight of 988.26 mph.

Civil Starfighters

From the fastest jets to the slowest biplanes... parachutists, wingwalkers, static displays, all of it. I love air shows.
A falling knife has no handle.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 5th, 2012 at 4:15:22 PM permalink

Yes, yes the Jump Jet. Straight up and straight down. Just awesome!

Best way to turn kerosene into noise.
  • Jump to: