aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
November 2nd, 2012 at 5:18:13 PM permalink
So instead of leaving a tip on a $138+ restaurant bill, a woman wrote "Single Mom Sorry" on the 'gratuity' line of the check

Receipt
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
November 2nd, 2012 at 5:44:11 PM permalink
About 15 years ago I got invited out with a buddy and his visiting brother in law for a round of golf when they were in town. After golf the brother in law says we are going to TBQ's ( local Rib place ) for dinner tonight see you guys there. Buddy says we will be there for sure.

Total of 5 of us there including his 4 yr old son....who wanted peanut butter and jam for dinner. The waitress said no problem we have that for toast in the morning I will make one up. Halfway into the meal they wanted some coffee but the waitress was nowhere to be seen..after about 10 minutes we stopped another waitress going by and she got the coffee saying sorry your waitress was on her break and never got anybody to cover for her.

The bill comes and the brother in law takes care of it ...was something like $150 total....he paid $200 ( remember she made that PB and Jam) I am sure she was thrilled at a $50 tip. Afterwards my buddy says she probably thinks she did great tonight on that $50 tip...what she doesnt realize is had she been there to get the coffee or at least had somebody cover while she was on her break she would have gotten $150..... its nice golfing with 30 year old millionaires that came from the poorer side of town.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
November 2nd, 2012 at 5:49:08 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

About 15 years ago I got invited out with a buddy and his visiting brother in law for a round of golf when they were in town. After golf the brother in law says we are going to TBQ's ( local Rib place ) for dinner tonight see you guys there. Buddy says we will be there for sure.

Total of 5 of us there including his 4 yr old son....who wanted peanut butter and jam for dinner. The waitress said no problem we have that for toast in the morning I will make one up. Halfway into the meal they wanted some coffee but the waitress was nowhere to be seen..after about 10 minutes we stopped another waitress going by and she got the coffee saying sorry your waitress was on her break and never got anybody to cover for her.

The bill comes and the brother in law takes care of it ...was something like $150 total....he paid $200 ( remember she made that PB and Jam) I am sure she was thrilled at a $50 tip. Afterwards my buddy says she probably thinks she did great tonight on that $50 tip...what she doesnt realize is had she been there to get the coffee or at least had somebody cover while she was on her break she would have gotten $150..... its nice golfing with 30 year old millionaires that came from the poorer side of town.

Great story! It is the little things that matter in the service industry.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 2nd, 2012 at 5:59:41 PM permalink
People are questioning this is real. The handwriting in the tip blank and the comments at the bottom of the receipt is a little questionable in consistency. If it's authentic though, screw her. Anyone that is willing to pay a triple digit bill can tip $10 minimum, obv.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:00:06 PM permalink
Bullcrap.

If she can afford to eat out, then she can afford to tip.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:06:40 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

People are questioning this is real. The handwriting in the tip blank and the comments at the bottom of the receipt is a little questionable in consistency.

Definitely two hands. Look at the Y, the Ns, the Rs, the L and T. The strokes are all different. So even without "single mom sorry" it's still a receipt with a "thank you" and no tip.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:10:07 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Definitely two hands. Look at the Y, the Ns, the Rs, the L and T. The strokes are all different. So even without "single mom sorry" it's still a receipt with a "thank you" and no tip.

I've paid many of dinner bills with a credit card but almost always leave a cash tip..... not sure how long it takes for them to get the tip when its paid with the credit card..with the cash I know they get it that night
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:12:27 PM permalink

I've paid many of dinner bills with a credit card but almost always leave a cash tip..... not sure how long it takes for them to get the tip when its paid with the credit card..with the cash I know they get it that night

Good point! And maybe they forget to report that cash tip to the IRS as well:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:13:14 PM permalink

Plus I had a boss who would deduct the cc processing percentage from all tips on the cards, so it took until Friday and it was 96-98% of what was tipped when we got our money. We hated taking Amex.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
November 2nd, 2012 at 7:08:00 PM permalink
Hmmmm... I wonder... maybe ill start writing single dude sry in lieu of a tip.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 2nd, 2012 at 7:20:12 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:19:04 AM permalink
haven't heard from mr pink in a while...
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:36:00 AM permalink
or compulsive gambler, sorry no tip
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
November 3rd, 2012 at 9:02:19 AM permalink
Still fake. Some strokes can be explained away, but other differences are too unlikely for one person, unless they can write with either hand.

Anyway, a tip is still optional, even in a setting where it's customary. The only question is whether, if you don't tip, it's better to do it silently or leave an excuse.

If you go by percentage metric, I sometimes "undertip" (if I order something priced above average that doesn't take extra effort on server's part), "overtip" other times (if ordering below average).
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 3rd, 2012 at 1:20:36 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

So instead of leaving a tip on a $138+ restaurant bill, a woman wrote "Single Mom Sorry" on the 'gratuity' line of the check

They should save the card number - the next time she shows up, then when she gets the slip, have a young woman bring it to her with a Post-It note next to the tip line saying, "Single Mom - please be generous."

Yes, normally you don't do that, since, IMO, the expected response is to withhold the tip out of spite, but I think this is a special case.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
November 3rd, 2012 at 1:48:55 PM permalink
You should definately be prepared to tip somewhere in the customary range if you are going to eat out. At the same time, I have a few friends who serve and they definately feel entitled to that tip, they do not view it as a gift (which it is). They would have you believe that average or even below average service merits a 20% tip and that you should also tip on the sales tax (8%+ in these parts). They are nuts.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
  • Jump to: