Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 17th, 2012 at 7:26:43 PM permalink
Let's begin with my latest shopping.

Rather than post pictures, a rather tedious chore given the prehistoric controls on this board, I'll post links to my Pinterest board. Here's the first:

http://pinterest.com/ladynareed/in-my-closet/
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
October 17th, 2012 at 7:40:19 PM permalink
You have those girls in your closet? can I come over? :)
Nareed
Nareed
October 18th, 2012 at 8:03:26 AM permalink
So, to sumarize from the other thread:

I've ordered one skirt from Chicwish (http://www.chicwish.com) The item si exactly as advertised. Their prices are rather in the high range (for me), but they offer free shipping worldwide (by post) and deliver in a timely manner.

Venus charges $28.50 for worldwide shipping. They sue UPS to mexico and I suppose similar means to other places. They process roders the same day, too. I did have a bit of trouble because the two cards I tried to sue were blocked by the banks (on unrelated matters). After I cleared the second card, I got email from venus asking for the bank's name, the bank's address and phone number. That seemed odd, but the info is easily found in the monthly statement. They assure me if I use that card again, I won't need to resend that ifnormation.

Their clothes are lovely, and again exactly as advertised. They offer easy exchanges and refunds, if needed, by simply returning the items along with a return/refund form (included with the shipment). if you're in the US, it also ahs a pre-paid postage label. That's rather nice.

There was the matter of import taxes, but that's not Venus' responsibility. Still, if I get slapped with taxes next time, I'll just have to figure out some other means to have the clothes delivered.

As for Sammydress, they're still processing my order... It doens't bode well. but their line of "high-temperature" wigs is rather good and very cheaply priced. High-temp wigs are made with synthetic fibers that resist heat from hair styling tools, like blow driers, curling irons, hot rollers, etc.

More as it develops. I don't think I'll be doing much more shopping in the foreseeable future, but there are some good deals from time to time. I'll be posting my favortie places to browse, too.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 18th, 2012 at 9:18:04 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Let's begin with my latest shopping.

Rather than post pictures, a rather tedious chore given the prehistoric controls on this board, I'll post links to my Pinterest board. Here's the first:

http://pinterest.com/ladynareed/in-my-closet/

I love the shirtdress!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Nareed
Nareed
October 18th, 2012 at 10:03:59 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

I love the shirtdress!

I love your good taste :)

That's the one item that doesn't quite fit yet. But I'm getting there.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 18th, 2012 at 10:14:08 AM permalink

I love your good taste :)

That's the one item that doesn't quite fit yet. But I'm getting there.

I looked over the Venus dress selection. I don't like to buy dresses online because I'm long-waisted so any bottom detailing tends to fall in the wrong place. They seemed to have a good selection of at least knee-length dresses with some kind of sleeve. I try to dress my age even if I don't act it!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Nareed
Nareed
October 18th, 2012 at 10:42:04 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

I don't like to buy dresses online because I'm long-waisted so any bottom detailing tends to fall in the wrong place.

We all have issues like that,don't we? But buying online is so convenient! And fun, too. Oh, not as much fun as at a real store, but still.

What I do is place an order, see how things fit, and then go on from there. Some brands run small, despite what the measurements say. Some don't fit well. Some need help. Etcetera. So I try and see.

Quote:

They seemed to have a good selection of at least knee-length dresses with some kind of sleeve.

That's oen reason I like their stuff. In other palces, too many, it seems sleeves are forbiden. I know the trend towards sleeveless, cap sleeves and very short sleeves has been going on for a while, especially in evening wear (and don't get me started on bridal wear). But it's nice to see ahcnge. I think people are getting tired of it, but slowly.

Quote:

I try to dress my age even if I don't act it!

You're only as old as you feel. Despite that, I tend towards covering more. I just adore maxi-skirts adn dresses!
Nareed
Nareed
October 20th, 2012 at 4:49:42 PM permalink
Here's my Pinterest wishlist:

http://pinterest.com/ladynareed/my-closet-wishlist/

It's really handy, as you can go to the site the photo in each pin came from just by clicking on it.
Nareed
Nareed
October 20th, 2012 at 5:35:20 PM permalink

As for Sammydress, they're still processing my order... It doens't bode well.

It shipped today (odd shipping on Saturday...) It seems like a long wait, but we'll see how it goes. They're using a courier company, too. Good.
Nareed
Nareed
October 25th, 2012 at 8:12:16 AM permalink
For days the courier tracking site said "shipping information received."

Today it now says they picked up the shipment, but that now it's in a "processing delay." Odd shipping company... We'll see...
Nareed
Nareed
October 28th, 2012 at 7:38:27 AM permalink
The package has moved.

Odd, though, it lists Shanghai and Shenzen as "China People's Republic," but it lists Hong Kong as "Hong Kong." What's up with that? I thought HK was back in China now...
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
January 30th, 2014 at 10:37:21 AM permalink
I can't believe this important topic has been inactive for over a year. I have a general shopping suggestion that I tend to forget: Don't limit yourself to one category.

I've been told that I dress like a 12-year-old, to which of course I responded, "Thank you!"

Do you see where I'm going with this? Look in the children's section.

Boys usually have much smaller chest measurements than men, so boys' tops are not an option for most men. An XL boy's shirt will be smaller than a men's S, but if you can find a boy's XXL (size 18-20), it should be nearly same as a men's S. Here's a size 18:

It's a 33-inch chest measurement, according to the sizing chart. (A men's size S is 34 to 36 inches.)
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
January 30th, 2014 at 10:37:32 AM permalink
Trousers from the boys' section offer more overlap with men's sizing. A men's size S has a 28 to 30 inch waist, versus 30 inches for a boy's size 18/XXL, and possibly higher if the size is marked 18-20.

The intangible factor is that a lot of clothing is oversized, especially activewear. I recently upgraded my wardrobe with the basketball shorts shown below:

On the left (white hanger) is boy's XXL from Walmart (regular $7, clearanced at $4). On the right (black hanger) is men's S from Ross Stress for Less (bargain-priced at $8). The proportions are almost identical, although the mesh fabric on the right looks smaller because it doesn't hold its shape. (The shorts on the right are about an inch longer.)

I would normally wear a men's M with accurate sizing, but the items shown are cut very generously IMO.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
  • Jump to: